Clear All
  • WG
    Drew and Sam stole all my hair
    • Jul 2002

To those of you who think GW & Co. have improved from last year to this:

Why do you think that?

Here's some food-for-thought before answering:

Most of you argue increased wins. OK.

Suppose nothing changed from last year to this one other than talent upgrades. Ie., Drew, Better OL, Reed, Moore, Wire, Ahanotu, etc.

If we went back to last season w/ those players, how many games would we have won? I'll say 7 or 8 for the sake of argument. But make up your own mind and consider it when answering the question.

So then, if with all the upgrades, we are only 6-10 or 7-9 anyway, which we have yet to prove we can attain, then if GW and the coaching staff has actually improved, shouldn't that reflect in there somewhere too?

And secondly, how do those of you who do think that the coaching staff has improved, justify our dropping from:

21st to 25th in yardage defense
    13th to 21st in passing defense
    29th to 32nd in scoring defense
    adding 10 points-per-game allowed
    22nd to 27th in rushing offense
    averaging over 26 yards-per-game less rushing

...to date so far this season.

Our schedule has not been tough. The combined record of our opponents to date is 11-12. We lost a game to a team that is 1-4 and were taken to O/T by a team that is winless at 0-4 and were taken to our limits by yet another that is 2-3.

Other than STs which has only improved in the sense that it is no longer completely miserable, the only aspect of our team that has improved significantly is the passing offense and that is largely due to the fact that Drew is playing the best ball of his life.

Given all that, why is it that GW has gotten credit for improving.

Please don't slam me, just answer the question. It's very valid and I'm indeed curious as to why others see things opposite of what our play is indicating.
    Replace Donahoe with Modrak and fire the entire coaching staff!

Then let's go to Disneyworld!

GO BILLS!!!

• Rebecky
    • Aug 2002

Wys, I'm with you all the way. It's obvious that our improvement has come thanks to Kevin Gilbride's taking over the offense and Drew Bledsoe's on-field talent -- two TD hires.

Is there any improvement in this team which would not have occurred even with Kermit the Frog as HC? What exactly is GW's contribution?

Comment

• CalBillsFan
      • Jul 2002

OK this is my theory. Last year we couldn't put points up on the board so 21 points would usually beat us. Therefore teams would run on us after they got their lead. Hence, the 26 yards more rushing per game last year.

This year however, teams have to score 35-40 points a game to beat us. They are forced to pass the ball much more to keep up with our defense. Thus the worse pass defence and the points-per game.

So, IMO, our defence isn't necessarily worse than last year but they haven't shown they are any better. Which is dissapointing because on paper they should be better.
      Originally posted by paladin warrior
      RALPH is drove me nut.

Comment

• The_Philster
        • Jul 2002

damn...that's the longest Wys post I've actually read...and I agree with it all. One thing that GW did improve on is how he ran camp.....none of those stupid airhorns and he cut back on the two-a-days a bit to save wear and tear on his top players. At the same time, maybe some of these players could have used that extra practice...the LBs have yet to perform up to the level I expected of them. Gilbride and the talent brought in are the reasons for the improvement.
        The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• Kelly The Dog
          • Jul 2002

well i think the teams were 7-2 total going in against us and about 4-10 after. That says more to me that the 11-12 total.

In the first five games last year we were embarrassed against the Saints, completely embarassed against the Colts, were never really a threat to win against the Steelers, got abused by the Jets and then beat the Jags for our first win. In all games this year not only did we play good enough to win, we could have or should have won all five. Some will say that's bad and some will say that's good.

We have the top two receivers in the league and they were on the team last year and did nothing.

We have the top punter and one of the top kickers, a kick return for a TD, one of the top sack teams I think (amazing as that sounds) and one of the top offenses in recent history.

Everyone but you, fan and writer, seems to think we're not only on the way up but damn dangerous.

We're not great yet but we're much much better than last year.

Comment

• Wys Guy
            • Jul 2002

Cal,

"Hence, the 26 yards more rushing per game last year."

You misunderstood! We, our rushing Offense, has more than 26 yards-per-game less rushing output as a team. Not the opponents. Ie., our rushing game isn't anywhere near what it was last year. It should be, at least in theory.

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• Wys Guy
              • Jul 2002

Kelly,

Let me know when that Percocet wears off, will ya!

You're scaring me! Did you consult w/ your physician first. Also, here's a tip, actually watch the games on Sundays.

JK

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• Wys Guy
                • Jul 2002

Kelly,

How many starters on the Bills do you think we should have in the Pro-Bowl this year?

What? 9, 10? On offense that is.

I'm assuming that we'll have 5 or 6 on our D as well if your votes "break the tie!" LOL

GW for president!!!

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• Kelly The Dog
                  • Jul 2002

you asked why anyone would think we're better this year than last, and i gave you about five reasons, and you responded to zero. Just said that it was crazy. I'll asume you agree with all of them, but then again, i supposed you would have to, they're facts.

I'd say we have three perhaps four Pro Bowl starters on offense and zero on defense. Drew, Moulds, and perhaps Centers by default, and of course Ruben, because it's the law. Peerless as a back-up.

Comment

• Wys Guy
                    • Jul 2002

You gave a bunch of excuses and didn't address the facts at the top of this thread.

Look, I asked a serious question kelly. If you don't want to answer but want to take me on instead, simply go start a thread attacking me. I can take it. I won't show up, but you can feel free.

I asked a legitimate question and provided some true, factual, data that no one who watches the NFL seems to dispute except you. If you can't respond within the bounds of this question, you don't have to feel obligated to answer simply b/c you saw my name attached to this thread.

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• CalBillsFan
                      • Jul 2002

OK, yeah, I guess i did misunderstand.

I still need to ask then how does our rush defense compare to last years?

My theory still could be true.
                      Originally posted by paladin warrior
                      RALPH is drove me nut.

Comment

• ExpansionBlues
                        Formerly known as ExpansionBlues
                        • Oct 2002

From an outsiders eye.................

You are 13-24 over your last two seasons including THIS years partial. You JUST have not been very good the last few years..... simple. Since Willimas took over you are 5-16, with a probable 3-3 record at the 6 game mark this year. This is the first time you have sniffed .500 since he arrived. For all your defensive breakdowns, and special teams disasters, you COULD be a little better than this. This is progress guys. Take it from an ex-Oiler fan. It is grating, fingernail on chalkboard progress, but progress all the same.

HOWEVER, I really expected your defensive play to be improved this year due to the extra year in the system. I have NOT seen it. You have great secondary talent, but they are giving up points like Allen Iverson. Your linebacker play is PITIFUL. Worst in the league. I thought you guys were fools to use OLD guys like Fletcher, and Eddie Robinson. They were marginal players when they were in the PEAK of their careers. How can they somehow become the great linebackers they NEED to be to make THIS Defense work? Face it, this is a defense that needs linebackers with Saftey type speed. Your linebackers are too old, and too slow.

Perhaps your cap didn't let you upgrade here. I do not follow your team THAT close. I am a MASSIVE NFL fan however, and follow every team to some extent. Untill you get more speed and talent at linebacker, this defense is doomed to be average. :stuck:

Congratulations, the NFL has ONE team (every year) that has a dynamite and dangerous offense, but can't beat a good team. You are the *new* Indy COLTS.

PLAYOFFS? PLayyyyyyyyyoffs?:hamrhed: To answer the question. Yes I see progress. You no longer SUCK. You are now like the Colts. Dangerous to teams like the Texans, but you will not beat a good team. As a fan this STILL sucks, but as long as you do not STAY this way, hell.........it's progress..............
                        V
                        >>click here<< for 911 tribute

No matter how cynical you are, you can't keep up.

Comment

• Wys Guy
                          • Jul 2002

Cal,

It isn't!

"22nd to 27th in rushing offense
                          averaging over 26 yards-per-game less rushing"

We were 22nd in rushing last year. This year we're 27th and averaging over 26 yards less per game.

Nice post there Expansion!

Only Fletcher is only 27/28 or something like that. I agree that he's not effective or that fast. But he's certainly not over the hill. Robinson is however. I fully agree there. I never thought he was a good pickup.

If GW and TD go get a single other former Texan or Steeler, I think I'm gonna implode!

It's called "free-agency" fellas! The only good players are not on the Texans and Steelers. This back-door "hidden-talent" approach is getting old really quickly. Time to play free-agency like the other good teams out there.

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• ExpansionBlues
                            Formerly known as ExpansionBlues
                            • Oct 2002

yeah....... I guess by watching him play, I just THOUGHT he was old. He doesn't play MATURE. He plays OLD.
                            >>click here<< for 911 tribute

No matter how cynical you are, you can't keep up.

Comment

• DIHARD2
                              • Sep 2002

Wys, Why are you so ready to judge a work in progress.

With the offense we have this year and the defense we had last year I would say we would have had a 10/6 season. The point is these are two different teams, until all the pieces are in place you cannot judge the coaching staff at this time at least not honestly.

If you want me to just agree with you, let me know now and from now on I just won't respond with anything except I agree on any of your post.

If you're on the throughway the stretch from Buffalo to Rochester and your driving a Porsche, would you keep it 70 miles an hour or would you put the fuzz buster on to see how fast you can go. You have the tools on the offense so why not use it.

We all can sit here and second-guess the coach it always easier to do it after the fact. What you see and what I see in this team are two different things, I see a glass half full you see it half empty. At the end of the season G. W. will still have his job, so those who don't want him here might as well get used to it. Next season once the defense is put in place on the upgrade then I'll judge the coaching staff, but not until the middle of next season.

GO!!!...BUFFALO!!!...
                              Last edited by DIHARD2; 10-11-2002, 12:15 AM.
                              "The right of free speech is the God given right of each man to make an ass of himself." B Franklin

Comment

Working...
                              X