If we can't get Sean Taylor, here's a FS....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • elltrain22
    • Sep 2003

If we can't get Sean Taylor, here's a FS....

Stuart Schweigert-Purdue. I saw 2 1/2 purdue games this season, and i think the guy has alot of upside. I know many of you were paying all of your attention to Rivers at the senior bowl ( and deservedly so ) but in case you missed it, SS had 7 tackles for the losing North squad. His coverage skills are above average, but he is a sure tackler, and i really think could develop into a pretty decent FS in the NFL. I don't see him being a 1st rounder, so maybe we could snag this guy in rounds 2 or 3.
    If you walk with Jesus today, you don't have anything to worry about tomorrow...
  • mypoorfriendme
    • Apr 2003

yeah i remember seeing him not even slowing down greg jones on one of his td runs. but then again, i dont think taylor really really did either and thats really the only play schweigert grabbed my attention on
    the dude abides

Comment

• juice
      • Aug 2003

We need a FS, one with recovery speed and big play potential would be a bonus in the 3rd or 4th RDS. UNC over NCSU!!

"Hey, I was always aggressive. I always had lots of energy, thats why my teammates on the Bills started calling me Juice" PLAYBOY Dec.'76

Comment

• Tatonka
        • Jul 2002

i actually liked the guy before i saw greg jones just absolutely DESTROY him in the senior bowl.. i mean just *****ed him completely.. it looked like jeremy shockey running over a DB.. i was embarassed for him... i cant have him on my team now.. that was almost as embarassing as eddie robinson getting his jock left on the field by chad pennington.
        "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• kgun12
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by juice
          We need a FS, one with recovery speed and big play potential would be a bonus in the 3rd or 4th RDS. UNC over NCSU!!
          Hopefully we get a FS that doesn't have to RECOVERY speed. We need someone that doesn't make mistakes! lol
          Retired Air Traffic Controller
          USAF VETERAN
          DAV

Comment

• the dude
            • Jul 2003

While I'm no fan of Schweigert, I'd be careful making too much out of one play - I recall the FSU - Miami bowl game where Taylor got rolled even worse by one of the Seminole backs.

This guy needs some serious coaching ...

Huddle report perspective:

Stuart Schweigert S Purdue

Strengths
            Stuart is big, fast and strong. He is big enough to cover a TE one-on-one and fast enough to go sideline-to-sideline in a single safety cover scheme. He has good coverage ability, but he is strictly a safety. He can play either safety position. This is important because a lot of defenses interchange the safeties depending on down and distance. Stuart is an every down safety that is smart and has good instincts along with great speed.

Needs to Improve
            Stuart is a very poor tackler. This is bad for a safety. This is the worst skill in which a safety can be weak. In fact, he is so bad at tackling, it hurts my head just to think of it.

Bottom Line
            Stuart has got to be a better tackler. If he were, he would be a 1st rounder for sure. He just throws himself at the player diving through the air with his head down as the player comes close to him. I actually have him on freeze-frame doing this. He looks like a goose flying through the air. I call him Stuart (Quack Up) Schweigert. If Stuart does not improve his techniques in this area, he is destined for a hospital bed. Tackling someone in the open field takes guts. You have to want to knock the snot out of the player you set your sights on. If you have that attitude, the rest is easy. Head up, wrap up, squeeze and drive. Let’s say that all together…ready? Head up, wrap up, squeeze and drive. Stuart has the attitude and also has the speed and size for the safety position that most players do not have. If Stuart were a good tackler, you would have to rate him close to Sean Taylor. He does not have the abilities to cover like Taylor, but he is close. I think Stuart is a 2nd rounder because of his lack of tackling techniques. If he learns to tackle, he is an impact player. Head up, wrap up, squeeze and drive.

Drew Boylhart
            Last edited by the dude; 01-29-2004, 02:11 AM.

Comment

• kill4bills
              • Dec 2003

im a huge fsu fan and i lost tons of respect for taylor when jones ran him over. jones will run over pro safties with ease so lets pick some other runningback to compare with

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                • May 2003

Originally posted by kill4bills
                im a huge fsu fan and i lost tons of respect for taylor when jones ran him over. jones will run over pro safties with ease so lets pick some other runningback to compare with
                Doesn't Jones weigh 250 pounds, with good speed? He'll run over pro linebackers, too.

Schweigert is highly rated, but will be somewhat of a project because of his tackling problems. We have enough projects. Let's draft lmpact guys in the first 3 rounds.
                Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Tatonka
                  • Jul 2002

i know that taylor got run over by jones too, but schwigert was coming into that game with known tackling problems.. shame to see him get hit up like that when he knew he had to go out there and just make some tackles to show he could.
                  "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• Tatonka
                    • Jul 2002

then again.. if a guy like him were to fall because of something like that.. to say the 3rd round or so.. then the pick would be smart..

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Jul 2002

Schweigert has off the field problems as well. He's nuts. But that's not all bad.

He's tough and smart (Purdue is a good school). 3rd round he'd be a steal.

Comment

• The Spaz
                        • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
                        Schweigert has off the field problems as well. He's nuts. But that's not all bad.

He's tough and smart (Purdue is a good school). 3rd round he'd be a steal.
                        If we can't get him maybe we'll grab "Pig" Prather in the 3Rnd.

Comment

• elltrain22
                          • Sep 2003

Thats what i saying w/ SS, he would be a good draft pick in the later rounds, that is if guys like Sean Taylor and Matt Ware have been drafted.
                          If you walk with Jesus today, you don't have anything to worry about tomorrow...

Comment

• Tatonka
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by The Spaz
                            If we can't get him maybe we'll grab "Pig" Prather in the 3Rnd.

Comment

• The Natrix
                              • Jul 2002

Is scheigert the 2nd ranked FS? I've never seen him play.

Who else is an option in later rounds?

Byrd.

Comment

Working...
                              X