• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr. Cynical
    Maybe?
    • Oct 2003

Yet another Pittsburgh coach?

Ok, this may be a bit old but I guess I missed it. I checked and I didn't see it on this forum anywhere so I thought I'd post it.

Clayton's Quick Hits on ESPN.com:

Jan. 23, 2004
    Special coaches
    The scramble for special teams coaches ended pretty much by mid-week. Former Rams special teams coach Bobby April joined the Bills once Pete Rodriquez accepted a $500,000 salary as the Jaguars special teams coach. April reunites with general manager Tom Donahoe and head coach Mike Mularkey. They worked together in Pittsburgh.

Now, I know I was ripping on TD for bringing in the "family" with MM, but this is getting a bit much now...MM, TC, BA. If I wanted to be a Steelers fan I'd wear Black and Gold not Red and Blue.
  • kal123
    Maybe?
    • Oct 2003

Doh!

Ignore this thread....I finally found the BA thread.

Comment

• The Spaz
      • Mar 2003

WHo gives a flying **** if they worked together before. Would you rather them not know eachother and have another Buddy Ryan punchout on the sidelines?

Comment

• kal123
        Maybe?
        • Oct 2003

First of all I was half joking. Second, IMO unless you have a family that has won the Super Bowl together, it ain't worth the reunion.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
          Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
          • May 2003

I would think that GMs and HCs all over the league do the same thing: Hire people they know and trust. It's called human nature.
          Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• cordog
            eat, drink, and be merry
            • Apr 2003

He also worked in St. Louis, Fletcher was there too. No one is *****ing about the "St. Louis Connection". Theres been alot of coaches that worked in Pittsburgh, Cowher goes thru coaches like he goes thru saliva. Quit being ridiculous about this Pittsburgh connection bull****!

Comment

• Jan Reimers
              Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
              • May 2003

Originally posted by cordog
              He also worked in St. Louis, Fletcher was there too. No one is *****ing about the "St. Louis Connection". Theres been alot of coaches that worked in Pittsburgh, Cowher goes thru coaches like he goes thru saliva. Quit being ridiculous about this Pittsburgh connection bull****!
              I totally agree. You could play that 6 degrees of separation game and trace every GM and HC in the NFL back to every other GM, HC, and assisstant coach.
              Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• kal123
                Maybe?
                • Oct 2003

My point still stands....if you are going to "re-group" with former staffmates you better have had great success together or it will just be a recycle job.

Anyway, I've said all I need to say on this. Time will tell. Peace.

Comment

• CWOUSARET
                  • Aug 2003

Originally posted by kal123
                  First of all I was half joking. Second, IMO unless you have a family that has won the Super Bowl together, it ain't worth the reunion.
                  So maybe the Bills coaching staff during the FOUR SuperBowl Bills teams should have all been tossed out after our first loss??????
                  "Creativity is more important than Intelligence."

Comment

• TigerJ
                    • Jul 2002

I've said before, one of the factors considered in hiring a coach is the connections he has developed during his time in the NFL. April is considered a quality special teams coach. The plain truth is there are not many guys available as assistant coaches who are Super Bowl winners and established veteran assistant coaches. TD could have waited to hire a coach until after the Super Bowl and gotten Charlie Weis who has one Super Bowl win to his credit, and may have another one in a few days, but who would he have been able to get for his staff. He could have hired a couple Patriot position coaches to coordinator positions and that's about it. Moreover the pool from which Mularkey as been getting his coaches would have been smaller, maybe no Jim McNally. I don't know that this would have put Buffalo in any better position than we are in now with Mularkey.

As far as special team coaches, yeah we talked about Rodriguez released by Seattle as a coach we'd like to have, but there is competition and we're not going to get everyone we want. Next to Rodriguez, Bobby April was probably the best guy out there. I think some fans have set the bar so high that no one can possibly reach it. We're looking for excuses to condemn Mularkey before he's ever coached a game.
                    Last edited by TigerJ; 01-29-2004, 10:29 PM.
                    I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

Working...
                    X