PDA

View Full Version : John Clayton on WGR last night: Weis was suppose to be Bills new Head Coach

Ebenezer
01-29-2004, 09:37 AM
According to John Clayton, NE offensive coordinator Charlie Weis had a spectacular interview with TD and that he was probably going to be offered the head coaching position. What went wrong? Simple. NE beat Tennessee. At that point TD knew that the new HC would need a good staff so he went with Mularkey. Clayton did say that he thought it was a good hire and that Mularkey was going to be an excellent coach.

He also said that Weis and Crennel are livid (privately). Both desire to be head coaches and their window may be shrinking. He used Ted Cottrel who last year was a hot commodity and this year never got a sniff.

lordofgun
01-29-2004, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by Ebenezer
According to John Clayton, NE offensive coordinator Charlie Weis had a spectacular interview with TD and that he was probably going to be offered the head coaching position. What went wrong? Simple. NE beat Tennessee. At that point TD knew that the new HC would need a good staff so he went with Mularkey. Clayton did say that he thought it was a good hire and that Mularkey was going to be an excellent coach.

He also said that Weis and Crennel are livid (privately). Both desire to be head coaches and their window may be shrinking. He used Ted Cottrel who last year was a hot commodity and this year never got a sniff.

I guess Weis should have told Brady to throw more interceptions.

Pride
01-29-2004, 09:42 AM
Yup, oh well, I dont feel bad for him.. he is a Pats Coach, and for that I hate him.

to80td
01-29-2004, 09:45 AM
They should prohibit all staff changes until after the entire season is done.

Ebenezer
01-29-2004, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by lordofgun
I guess Weis should have told Brady to throw more interceptions.

good point.

Patrick76777
01-29-2004, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by to80td

I hear they're talking about that!

Jan Reimers
01-29-2004, 10:03 AM

That would be much fairer to all parties involved, most notably the really good coordinators who are punished for their success.

And, had such a rule been in force 3 years ago, we probably wouldn't have hired GW.

lordofgun
01-29-2004, 10:12 AM
I think they should be able to change mid-season through week 10 or so, but once the regular season ends, no changes until after the super bowl.

eyedog
01-29-2004, 10:13 AM
I was listening to about the first ten minutes of that interview. I finally turned it off because the interview was so bad. They talked with Clayton about everything but football. ****ing coffee, hotels, chinese food, weather, thoughts on Texas. Like anyone gives a ****. So I didn't hear any football questions. Did they finally ask him any questions regarding Drew Hensons' situation ? Or anything else football/Bills related ?

Pride
01-29-2004, 10:14 AM

Good idea, but I don't know if that would work either. There is no rule about when you can interview people, all that would happen is the day it is open to hire, the jobs will simply be filled immediately.

From what I understand, they are talking about reopening the hiring of assistants as soon as the regular season is done. They feel the concern about a coordinator throwing a game is not a valid reason to make them wait.

SABURZFAN
01-29-2004, 11:13 AM
it is unfortunate for weis but we have mularkey so i'm not going to worry about coulda,woulda,shoulda.

elltrain22
01-29-2004, 11:24 AM
I agree w/ Sabrefan. It sucks for Weis that he will miss out on a chance to coach in the NFL, but we still got a very good coach. Weis did have a great year calling plays for that NE offense, and there probably will never be any year more where he could've been so selective in his options, but he will still coach at some point in his career, some day.

BigZ
01-29-2004, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Jan Reimers

That would be much fairer to all parties involved, most notably the really good coordinators who are punished for their success.

And, had such a rule been in force 3 years ago, we probably wouldn't have hired GW.

The most unfair part is that the last coaches named get the dregs of the assistants. If we had waited for Weiss, we wouldn't have had a chance at McNally. Krumrie and Gray would have taken jobs elsewhere.

I think that there should be a moratorium on speaking to assistants coaches under contract with another team until a week after the Super Bowl. It would still be difficult for a Weiss to be interviewed and hired and start preparations for interviewing a staff, but not impossible. The only thing that would get screwed up is the talent evaluation at the Senior Bowl - but the GM and scouting staff would have to do that.

I also agree with another writer though - I'm happy with MM and don' t want to go to coulda, woulda.

Devin
01-29-2004, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Pride
Yup, oh well, I dont feel bad for him.. he is a Pats Coach, and for that I hate him.

Yup!

TigerJ
01-29-2004, 01:03 PM
I remain a bit of a skeptic. Tom Donahoe has stated he was the only one present besides the interviewee at those intitial interviews. Unless Tom Donahoe doesn't know how to keep his mouth shut, which I find unlikely, there is no other source from which John Clayton could have obtained that information. I wonder it John Clayton is trying to come up with excuses for his prediction not coming true.

In any case, I would be in favor of some policy change to level the playing field for those candidates looking for head coaching jobs. If they do prohibit hiring coaches until after the Super Bowl, they might have to move some other dates, like free agency and the combine, so that teams just putting a staff together are not at a disadvantage.

Ebenezer
01-29-2004, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by eyedog
I was listening to about the first ten minutes of that interview. I finally turned it off because the interview was so bad. They talked with Clayton about everything but football. ****ing coffee, hotels, chinese food, weather, thoughts on Texas. Like anyone gives a ****. So I didn't hear any football questions. Did they finally ask him any questions regarding Drew Hensons' situation ? Or anything else football/Bills related ?

Drew Henson...yes...probably a 2nd round type pick; lots of GMs are shy because of his time away from football...he will be picked but where is anybody's guess. it is not known if he will sign the out clause on his yankee contract...

as far as the Houston stuff...what was lost was the fact that Houston is a growing, burgeoning city that is coming alive...attmepts have been made to redesign things so that people have a center with things to do...we could only wish our politicians and planners were as smart.

ArcticWildMan
01-29-2004, 04:15 PM
I think Ted Cotrell didn't get any interviews this year because he screamed he was a victim of racism when he was passed over a few years ago. I bet he's black-listed now.

Bmax
01-29-2004, 05:01 PM
if that is the case that would be unfortunate .. i don't think it is .. i say his def was like rakned 30th and he got fired...If he turns the vikes atround to a top `10 .. things will change

G. Host
01-29-2004, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by zielinski
The most unfair part is that the last coaches named get the dregs of the assistants. If we had waited for Weiss, we wouldn't have had a chance at McNally. Krumrie and Gray would have taken jobs elsewhere.

Krumrie and Gray were under contract - neither could leave to another NFL team without permission.

And if Weis was such a "hot" prospect why didn't he get an offer last year? M&M at least got interviews last year and I believe he got an offer which he turned down.

HenryRules
01-29-2004, 05:16 PM

I thought we waited until after the Super Bowl that year ... we interviewed Fox and Lewis I believe after they both coached in the SB.

Perhaps one of the reasons Donahoe hired early this year is he felt that his coach was hamstrung about which assistants were available. GW went with a lot of inexperience at first, but then later started to add experienced guys - maybe the first picks were all taken by the time he was hired and has his more favoured choices became available he picked them up.

Dozerdog
01-29-2004, 05:21 PM

Originally posted by Patrick76777
I hear they're talking about that!

The problem with that is the colleges begin their big recruiting drive in January, thus a lot of college staff changes take place. If you are an NFL assistant in limbo (like Gray was) do you take the Texas Longhorn job or pass and cross your fingers you still have a job in February after the Super Bowl?

Also, there is the Senior bowl and other college all-star games that staffs like to attend. Hiring freezes mess that up.

They need to turn the clock back 10 years - Waanstadt and Norv Turner were allowed to interview and accepted HC contracts before the Cowboys completed their SB runs. Allow them to interview in the bye week, and accept jobs regardless if their teams are eliminated

ArcticWildMan
01-29-2004, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by Bmax
if that is the case that would be unfortunate .. i don't think it is .. i say his def was like rakned 30th and he got fired...If he turns the vikes atround to a top `10 .. things will change

I hope so. I like Ted and would love to see him coach a team. It's just odd that he didn't get any interviews last year or the year before when his Defense was top rated.

Dozerdog
01-29-2004, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by ArcticWildMan
I think Ted Cotrell didn't get any interviews this year because he screamed he was a victim of racism when he was passed over a few years ago. I bet he's black-listed now.

I don't think he got interviewed this year because his defenses sucked- not because of his statements. A black head coach fired him.

BuffaloRanger
01-29-2004, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by HenryRules

I thought we waited until after the Super Bowl that year ... we interviewed Fox and Lewis I believe after they both coached in the SB.

Perhaps one of the reasons Donahoe hired early this year is he felt that his coach was hamstrung about which assistants were available. GW went with a lot of inexperience at first, but then later started to add experienced guys - maybe the first picks were all taken by the time he was hired and has his more favoured choices became available he picked them up.

Nope. GW was a Moron. Remember he had his list of football people ranked in each position down to the waterboys. Each assistant coach was hand picked by GW from that list. Why were they all available? Because 9 coaches on that staff had never coached in their new position in the NFL. They were "teachers" that didn't even know their own jobs. That explains why they were so overwhelmed, and couldn't make an adjustment at half-time to save their lives.

And TD let him get away with it for too long.

HenryRules
01-29-2004, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by BuffaloRanger

Nope. GW was a Moron. Remember he had his list of football people ranked in each position down to the waterboys. Each assistant coach was hand picked by GW from that list. Why were they all available? Because 9 coaches on that staff had never coached in their new position in the NFL. They were "teachers" that didn't even know their own jobs. That explains why they were so overwhelmed, and couldn't make an adjustment at half-time to save their lives.

And TD let him get away with it for too long.

I know he had his list, but I don't remember anyone saying that he got all the people that were #1 on his list.

Besides, every single coach in the NFL that gets hired already has a list ... it may not be put on paper like GW's was, but no candidate is going to go into an interview and not know who he'd hire.

Goobylal
01-29-2004, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by HenryRules

I know he had his list, but I don't remember anyone saying that he got all the people that were #1 on his list.

Besides, every single coach in the NFL that gets hired already has a list ... it may not be put on paper like GW's was, but no candidate is going to go into an interview and not know who he'd hire.
Actually, Jerry Gray didn't have a staff in mind when he interviewed with TD. He said the next time he gets a HC'ing interview, he'll make sure he has one.

HenryRules
01-29-2004, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by Goobylal

Actually, Jerry Gray didn't have a staff in mind when he interviewed with TD. He said the next time he gets a HC'ing interview, he'll make sure he has one.

I've been a big Jerry Gray supporter over the last few months ... but if he's that stupid to not have a plan on filling out his coaching staff, then he's a hell of a long way away from being head coach material.

Tatonka
01-29-2004, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by zielinski
I'm happy with MM and don' t want to go to coulda, woulda.

me too... i was one of the many that really wanted wiess, but i have no problems with MM, expecially after seeing the staff he has put together.

i am contents..

until we lose our first game. :evil:

The Spaz
01-29-2004, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka

me too... i was one of the many that really wanted wiess, but i have no problems with MM, expecially after seeing the staff he has put together.

i am contents..

until we lose our first game. :evil:

So true!:rofl:

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
01-29-2004, 11:16 PM
First WGR55 STINKS it's hard to even get a good reception on that station Schopp and the Bulldog are TERRIBLE. WNSA is alot better with Howard Simon ok now that's off my chest. The second thing is Weiss is fat and can't coach and I don't think Drew liked him that much up in NE. Third I like Malarkey I like the staff that he's put together and he brought McNally home not to mention he kept our ranked #2 Defense coaches Weiss would've brought in his own staff and who knows maybe he would've kept Gilbride!.