• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ebenezer
    Give me a minute...
    • Jul 2002

John Clayton on WGR last night: Weis was suppose to be Bills new Head Coach

According to John Clayton, NE offensive coordinator Charlie Weis had a spectacular interview with TD and that he was probably going to be offered the head coaching position. What went wrong? Simple. NE beat Tennessee. At that point TD knew that the new HC would need a good staff so he went with Mularkey. Clayton did say that he thought it was a good hire and that Mularkey was going to be an excellent coach.

He also said that Weis and Crennel are livid (privately). Both desire to be head coaches and their window may be shrinking. He used Ted Cottrel who last year was a hot commodity and this year never got a sniff.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.
  • lordofgun
    in charge of you

Administrator Emeritus
    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Ebenezer
    According to John Clayton, NE offensive coordinator Charlie Weis had a spectacular interview with TD and that he was probably going to be offered the head coaching position. What went wrong? Simple. NE beat Tennessee. At that point TD knew that the new HC would need a good staff so he went with Mularkey. Clayton did say that he thought it was a good hire and that Mularkey was going to be an excellent coach.

He also said that Weis and Crennel are livid (privately). Both desire to be head coaches and their window may be shrinking. He used Ted Cottrel who last year was a hot commodity and this year never got a sniff.
    I guess Weis should have told Brady to throw more interceptions.

<a href="http://www.buzzdash.com/index.php?page=buzzbite&amp;BB_id=119588">Do you like me?</a> | <a href="http://www.buzzdash.com">BuzzDash polls</a>

Comment

• Pride
      • Jul 2002

Yup, oh well, I dont feel bad for him.. he is a Pats Coach, and for that I hate him.

Comment

• to80td
        Zoner
        • Jan 2004

They should prohibit all staff changes until after the entire season is done.

Comment

• Ebenezer
          Give me a minute...
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by lordofgun
          I guess Weis should have told Brady to throw more interceptions.
          good point.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• Patrick76777
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by to80td

I hear they're talking about that!
            Resign our own guys!

Comment

• Jan Reimers
              Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
              • May 2003

That would be much fairer to all parties involved, most notably the really good coordinators who are punished for their success.

And, had such a rule been in force 3 years ago, we probably wouldn't have hired GW.
              Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• lordofgun
                in charge of you

Administrator Emeritus
                • Jul 2002

I think they should be able to change mid-season through week 10 or so, but once the regular season ends, no changes until after the super bowl.

<a href="http://www.buzzdash.com/index.php?page=buzzbite&amp;BB_id=119588">Do you like me?</a> | <a href="http://www.buzzdash.com">BuzzDash polls</a>

Comment

• eyedog
                  • Jul 2002

I was listening to about the first ten minutes of that interview. I finally turned it off because the interview was so bad. They talked with Clayton about everything but football. ****ing coffee, hotels, chinese food, weather, thoughts on Texas. Like anyone gives a ****. So I didn't hear any football questions. Did they finally ask him any questions regarding Drew Hensons' situation ? Or anything else football/Bills related ?

Comment

• Pride
                    • Jul 2002

Good idea, but I don't know if that would work either. There is no rule about when you can interview people, all that would happen is the day it is open to hire, the jobs will simply be filled immediately.

From what I understand, they are talking about reopening the hiring of assistants as soon as the regular season is done. They feel the concern about a coordinator throwing a game is not a valid reason to make them wait.

Comment

• SABURZFAN
                      short bus extraordinaire
                      • Jul 2002

it is unfortunate for weis but we have mularkey so i'm not going to worry about coulda,woulda,shoulda.
                      Originally posted by yordad
                      Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• elltrain22
                        • Sep 2003

I agree w/ Sabrefan. It sucks for Weis that he will miss out on a chance to coach in the NFL, but we still got a very good coach. Weis did have a great year calling plays for that NE offense, and there probably will never be any year more where he could've been so selective in his options, but he will still coach at some point in his career, some day.
                        If you walk with Jesus today, you don't have anything to worry about tomorrow...

Comment

• BigZ
                          • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Jan Reimers

That would be much fairer to all parties involved, most notably the really good coordinators who are punished for their success.

And, had such a rule been in force 3 years ago, we probably wouldn't have hired GW.
                          The most unfair part is that the last coaches named get the dregs of the assistants. If we had waited for Weiss, we wouldn't have had a chance at McNally. Krumrie and Gray would have taken jobs elsewhere.

I think that there should be a moratorium on speaking to assistants coaches under contract with another team until a week after the Super Bowl. It would still be difficult for a Weiss to be interviewed and hired and start preparations for interviewing a staff, but not impossible. The only thing that would get screwed up is the talent evaluation at the Senior Bowl - but the GM and scouting staff would have to do that.

I also agree with another writer though - I'm happy with MM and don' t want to go to coulda, woulda.

Comment

• Devin
                            The Octagon
                            • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Pride
                            Yup, oh well, I dont feel bad for him.. he is a Pats Coach, and for that I hate him.
                            Yup!
                            http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php

Comment

• TigerJ
                              • Jul 2002

I remain a bit of a skeptic. Tom Donahoe has stated he was the only one present besides the interviewee at those intitial interviews. Unless Tom Donahoe doesn't know how to keep his mouth shut, which I find unlikely, there is no other source from which John Clayton could have obtained that information. I wonder it John Clayton is trying to come up with excuses for his prediction not coming true.

In any case, I would be in favor of some policy change to level the playing field for those candidates looking for head coaching jobs. If they do prohibit hiring coaches until after the Super Bowl, they might have to move some other dates, like free agency and the combine, so that teams just putting a staff together are not at a disadvantage.
                              I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

Working...
                              X