PDA

View Full Version : Question for Texans fans:

lordofgun
10-11-2002, 01:09 AM
Who is going to get the bulk of the carries at RB this week for Houston?

The Spin Rx
10-11-2002, 01:50 AM
Wells probably. He is the better back. I think the only reason he has not started, was because of his total meltdown in the preseason when he dropped the rock on his FIRST carry, on the Texans FIRST posession, RIGHT inside our 15 yard line, putting us in an IMMEDIATE hole. Capers don't much care for fumbles.

Allen is not that much quicker than Wells, and is not any shiftier than Wells either. Wells is a slasher. If you want a good comparaison...............He runs like Antowain Smith

In all reality, thus far is that (IMO) James Allen is much too small to absorb the pounding he's having to take with so few holes available to him, and that he goes down, almost every time, on the first hit. It is frustrating watching him run into the backs of our linemen and falling down. I think after this bye~week, Wells just puts Allen on the bench for the bulk of the game. I think with 5 exibition games, and 4 regular season games, and a full training camp, after the bye...............we see Wells big time this week. We also have the Veteran Schau back on the line.

It also seems that Wells is more interested in running north-south while Allen likes to get a little dancing in behind the line. Allen has averaged 3.1 yards on 57 carries; wells 4.0 on 37. Also, if you're going to compare stats, you should factor in receiving yards. Allen has had a few more receptions with more yards and , Wells just may NOT be as capable an outlet receiver. We have played SO few games, so I don't know if this is accurate.

Receiving:
Allen 8 for 66 8.2
Wells 3 for 20 6.6

Earthquake Enyart
10-11-2002, 09:02 AM
Allen should be a 3rd down change of pace back. He did get 1000 yards for the Bears a few years back, but EB explains his "style" right on the money.

lordofgun
10-11-2002, 11:02 AM
That's how Antowain Smith ran when he was with the Bills. He's returned to that style a bit this year.

itsandthings
10-11-2002, 01:39 PM
LOG, I agree Smith danced around some last week against Miami, but that hasn' t been true for the most part. Last week was the first time he got some carries at the start of the game. He may have been pressing some because he hasn't seen the ball much.

Smith looks like the same player to me, he is still running hard inside and gaining tough yards in short yardage situations. However, he has been the victim of some spotty OL play, as the Pats have been battling injuries to their interior line players and have had to move people around.

lordofgun
10-11-2002, 01:52 PM
Yeah, I notice Smith tends to do that when his confidence gets shaky. I really don't think a guy whose confidence is shaken so easily can be an effective player over his career. Sad to say it, but last year may have been the best season Antowain will ever have...especialy if NE doesn't start running more.

I noticed it more last week, and it really reminded me of his playing days in Buffalo.

TigerJ
10-11-2002, 03:01 PM
I never thought Smith was very creative in Buffalo. If a play was designed for him to run toward a certain spot, he'd run to that spot whether there as a hole or a 350 lb DT or a whole pile there. At least on occasion, I've seen Henry improvise when the hole wasn't where it was supposed to be.

The_Philster
10-11-2002, 03:56 PM
The thing about Antowain is that Bishop Harris had coached him into lowering his head before hitting the line of scrimmage...so he rarely saw holes close up and cut-back opportunities open for him.

itsandthings
10-11-2002, 07:27 PM
Smith is not a cutback runner. He wasn't last year, either. I don't disagree that last week wasn't his best performance, but he hasn't been running that way in the other games.

Smith is not a great runner, but he is what he is, which is a big guy who can wear down a defense. The key for him last year was he was excellent in short yardage and on the goalline. If he runs hard and bangs away at the defense, he wears teams down and breaks off runs late in games. He does that well, and it was a big part of the Pats success last year.

Don't write off the Pats running game yet. They have had to scramble with injuries to their interior lineman, but as the season progresses they will run more. They won't put the ball up 45 times a game every game, unless they want to get Brady killed.