• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • R. Rich
    • Apr 2003

Offseason Free Agency/Draft Scenario #7

It's been a while since I've done one of these, but here goes:

Free Agency

1. Sign C Mike Flynn of the Baltimore Ravens.
    Flynn immediately gives us a solid and versatile (he started at guard for the Ravens when they won the SB) player who can handle the line calls and, more importantly, the interior DL.

2. Sign G Cosey Coleman of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
    Coleman gives us another experienced player who is known for his tough, aggressive play at guard, something we need badly!

3. Re-sign CB Antoine Winfield.
    We can argue about the turnovers, but the guy is very productive. He give us stability in the secondary.

4. Sign DE James Hall of the Detroit Lions.
    Hall is a solid young player who could man the left side for us and give us good run support (had 78 tackles last season) and provide a decent pass rush as well. He's not a dominant player, but is steady and would be a nice, inexpensive way to solve the problems at LDE.

The Draft

First, I would make two trades:

1. Trade the #13 pick to Green Bay for their 1st(#25) and 2nd(#56) round picks. Green Bay likes Losman, but would also love a shot at either Will Smith or Antwan Odom at DE.

2. Trade our 3rd round pick and our 5th round pick to Carolina for their 2nd (#63). This would give us 3 picks in the round.

The picks:

1st round: Draft G Vernon Carey of Miami.
    Carey gives us a versatile lineman who could be used at tackle or guard, though I believe guard is where he's best suited. He would give us excellent depth in the middle of the OL (we need it BADLY!) along with Ruben and the newly acquired Coleman.

2nd round (#44): Draft QB Matt Schaub of Virginia.
    We would rather have Rivers, but do not want to use our first round pick on him and lose out on a guy like Carey. Schaub is a solid player, he's got good size (6-5, 240), good mechanics and is a smart, heady player. Though he's not very athletic, he does have good pocket presence.

2nd round (#56, from GB): Draft DT Chad Lavalais of LSU.
    Lavalais gives us depth on the DL and might even push Williams and Adams for playing time. He's a nice pass rusher from the inside and is a tough player who gives you everything he has on nearly every play.

2nd round (#63, from Car): Draft S Sean Jones of Georgia.
    Jones has nice size (6-2, 215) and speed (4.4 40 speed). He can cover, is solid against the run, and can even blitz if necessary. If we get him, he'll start for us, because he's better than the guys currently on our roster.

4th round: Draft TE Bobby Blizzard of North Carolina.
    Good receiving TE who also is a good blocker. Would be an excellent value pick for us here.

6th round: Draft G Anthony Herrera of Tennessee.
    Another good value pick this late. Has decent size (6-4, 310) but could add some bulk to his frame. Plays with a nasty attitude and has played both guard spots and some at tackle for the Vols. Has trouble with pass blocking, but nothing our new OL coach can't fix.

7th round: Draft CB Ted Crawford of South Carolina.
    His size (5-11, 180) is what allows him to fall into the 7th. This guy is fast, has good coverage skills, and has room to improve.
  • ShadowHawk7
    Ground your Jets Vilma, no way you're shooting this guy down.
    • Mar 2003

Yet another amazing offseason possiblity Rich. I wud not lose ne sleep at all on this one. However I think it might be better to sign Hicks, a proven rusher, over Hall. There probably wud be only a minimal cap difference as well. We could also sign TE Kliensauser in the FA and get a speed reciever in the 4th instead.
    "It's not whether you win or lose; it's how you play the game."
    -Vince Lombardi

Comment

• The Spaz
      • Mar 2003

I like it except the TE Bobby Blizzard pick I think he may go undrafted.

Comment

• Winfield_26
        Administrator
        • Jul 2002

I dont like Schaub at all. Id rather take a shot at Watson at his pick and take a QB like Harris or Kent in the 4th.
        COMING SOON...
        Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
        We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• The Spaz
          • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Winfield_26
          I dont like Schaub at all. Id rather take a shot at Watson at his pick and take a QB like Harris or Kent in the 4th.
          Ben Watson!

Comment

• Devin
            The Octagon
            • Apr 2003

Sorry Im sold on Rivers til proven wrong, and with our coach and po0ssible FA moves I could see OG being expendable especially with 3 2nd rounders.

Take rivers late first.
            http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php

Comment

• R. Rich
              • Apr 2003

Originally posted by ShadowHawk7
              Yet another amazing offseason possiblity Rich. I wud not lose ne sleep at all on this one. However I think it might be better to sign Hicks, a proven rusher, over Hall. There probably wud be only a minimal cap difference as well. We could also sign TE Kliensauser in the FA and get a speed reciever in the 4th instead.

Hicks was my first choice for DE, but I just didn't know if we could afford him and all the other moves I mentioned. If so, I'd be for signing Hicks.

Comment

• The Spaz
                • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Devin
                Sorry Im sold on Rivers til proven wrong, and with our coach and po0ssible FA moves I could see OG being expendable especially with 3 2nd rounders.

Take rivers late first.
                If the Bills want Rivers they can't drop to far the Dolphins I think are really serious about him.

Comment

• R. Rich
                  • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Winfield_26
                  I wouldn't mind seeing us draft Kent. I mentioned him in one of my earlier scenarios and I think he'd be a good choice in the 4th.

Comment

• R. Rich
                    • Apr 2003

Take rivers late first.
                    Like Spaz mentioned, Rivers may be taken at 20 by Miami, so he would be out of consideration.

Comment

• Devin
                      The Octagon
                      • Apr 2003

Originally posted by The Spaz

If the Bills want Rivers they can't drop to far the Dolphins I think are really serious about him.
                      Yeah unfortunatley I think your right.

Comment

• The Spaz
                        • Mar 2003

Yeah unfortunatley I think your right.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                          Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                          • May 2003

Rich - Your scenario certainly shores up the O line, gives us a shot at improving the DE position, brings in a likely QB of the future, strengthens us at safety, and adds quality depth at DT.

I would like to see Wistrom or Hicks over Hall, and perhaps a WR in the 2nd round rather than Lavalais.
                          Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Devin
                            The Octagon
                            • Apr 2003

I love the Lavalais pick, I just am not comfortable with Losman, most all of his picks are great. I thought about WR but we have a lot of options in FA not to mention I believe Reed is gonna breakout this year.

Comment

• Tatonka
                              • Jul 2002

another good write up rich..

this is my critique..

first.. i dont know enough about the center/guard to say.. but i will trust that he is better than what we have a center.. i have my doubts as he is about as annonomous as teague.. but lets say that is a good pick up.. but you want to pick up cosey coleman as well.. well if we are signing to FAs to come in and start.. i dont know that i would want to use a FIRST on another Guard.. i would rather just sign 2 starters.. now this is of coarse assuming that we are KEEPING ruben brown.. we gain no financial advantage to cutting him, so i just cant see how we would let him go.. but maybe you are assuming otherwise..

as far as the draft.. will smith or odom is why green bay would trade up? wow.. i think that is a bit off man.. neither player imho is worth giving up a second rounder... and odds are that one of them may actually fall to them.. especially odom... but to move along..lets say Udeze is still on the board and they do move up to get him.. then that would make sense...

the schuab pick i truely hate.. not only do i think it is WAY to high for him (i think he is a low 3rd round type guy.. maybe lower), but i just dont think he is good.. he just doesnt seem to do anything well.. he is very average at all things.. i dont know.. maybe because i am a Vtech alum, i cant stand to see a UVA guy in a bills uni.. but i just dont like the guy at all..

but like i said.. it is good work... thanks for taking the time to do another one.
                              "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

Working...
                              X