PDA

View Full Version : Wyche on board!

superbills
02-02-2004, 10:29 AM
According to WGR55, Len Pasquerelli says Sam Wyche has accepted the position as Bills Quaterbacks coahc. Sorry, don't have a link, I heard it on the wasy to work about 20 minutes ago.

If this is true, this is AWESOME news!

The Spaz
02-02-2004, 10:34 AM
Awesome I'm waiting for my bills direct program to popup any minute!:up:

Romes
02-02-2004, 10:35 AM
very, very nice. Great addition, this offense is starting to take steps to become effective.

Tatonka
02-02-2004, 10:47 AM
i just read on another board that he was on the radio and said that no contract offer had been made by any team.

The Spaz
02-02-2004, 10:53 AM
Yeah I was trying to listen to it but I was half a sleep I was working on a WR draft article late last night. If I eard right I thought he said he had a few offers from ohter teams. I hope he comes to our team though!

Ebenezer
02-02-2004, 11:06 AM
OK, I'll second guess...you hire Tom Clemens for his first OC job and then bring in a big time vet as the QB coach...Hopefully, Sam can keep his ego in check. It worked with LeBeau last year.

Dozerdog
02-02-2004, 11:24 AM
• Esiason's visit to the South Carolina farm of his former Cincinnati Bengals coach Sam Wyche, on the rebound after having to quit CBS when a vocal cord was accidentally sliced during a heart operation. ESPN's Chris Mortensen said Wyche is close to becoming the Buffalo Bills quarterback coach.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/martzke/2004-02-02-martzke-super-bowl_x.htm

Jan Reimers
02-02-2004, 11:50 AM
It would really be great for MM and TC to have Wyche helping with the offense. I don't see him so much as a threat to either, but as a guru/consultant/sounding board/voice of experience/seasoned veteran kind of guy. A kind of eccentric old uncle who has seen it all and can keep us out of major trouble. And a major help in Bledsoe's rehabilitation.

Pride
02-02-2004, 12:00 PM
This should be interesting come next training camp...

The Spaz
02-02-2004, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Pride
This should be interesting come next training camp...

Also exciting!:up::beer:

Dozerdog
02-02-2004, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Jan Reimers
It would really be great for MM and TC to have Wyche helping with the offense. I don't see him so much as a threat to either, but as a guru/consultant/sounding board/voice of experience/seasoned veteran kind of guy. A kind of eccentric old uncle who has seen it all and can keep us out of major trouble. And a major help in Bledsoe's rehabilitation.

If I recall- the bengals were heavilly reliant on play action. :up:

35Pete
02-02-2004, 12:16 PM
There is ZERO information on the WGR55 website to either confirm or deny this.

don137
02-02-2004, 12:17 PM
In the pregame yesterday Boomer interviewed Wyche and Esiason said about the interview that Wyche will be in the headlines soon about coming back into the league as a QB coach to help some young QB.
Now I had a pops in me at the time and half listening so I may not have the exact but that was the gist of it....

Mr. Miyagi
02-02-2004, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by don137
Wyche will be in the headlines soon about coming back into the league as a QB coach to help some young QB.

Bledsoe isn't considered young...:(

The Spaz
02-02-2004, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi

Bledsoe isn't considered young...:(

No but the future one is.:up:

Mr. Miyagi
02-02-2004, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by The Spaz
No but the future one is.:up:
Henson?? Chris Mortensen today said Drew Henson will be holding an invitation only workout, and of all the teams there, Buffalo and Miami will be looking at him the hardest.

The Spaz
02-02-2004, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi

Henson?? Chris Mortensen today said Drew Henson will be holding an invitation only workout, and of all the teams there, Buffalo and Miami will be looking at him the hardest.

Well if the Bills like Henson then I will have to trust there judgement, although I was just speaking in general about any draft pick QB or Henson.:)

helmetguy
02-02-2004, 01:25 PM
Wouldn't it be funny if, after the "invitation only" workout, all Henson gets is a spot on some practice squad? A little lesson in humility for the over-hyped, marginally talented little *****.

DraftBoy
02-02-2004, 02:03 PM
hes got alot more talented than you give him credit for

Mr. Miyagi
02-02-2004, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by helmetguy
the over-hyped, marginally talented little *****.
I wasn't talking about Tom Brady. :snicker:

superbills
02-02-2004, 02:25 PM
I can't remember any specific references to Henson by Ingtar. Has our resident draft guru given us his two cents on the "two-sport wonder?" Hey Ing, have you seen Henson and does he impress you at all? Inquiring minds want to know...

Anyway, I'm confident that whoever our fresh-faced signal caller is, Wyche will do a hell of a job molding him into a solid player. Can we just skip February and go right to free agency and the draft...PLEASE!!!

HAMMER
02-02-2004, 03:35 PM
Looks like the Bills will be picking a QB early!

Tatonka
02-02-2004, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by Winfield_26
hes got alot more talented than you give him credit for

how do we know what kind of talent a guy who only passed for 2900 yards in college has?

Tatonka
02-02-2004, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by superbills
I can't remember any specific references to Henson by Ingtar. Has our resident draft guru given us his two cents on the "two-sport wonder?" Hey Ing, have you seen Henson and does he impress you at all? Inquiring minds want to know...

Anyway, I'm confident that whoever our fresh-faced signal caller is, Wyche will do a hell of a job molding him into a solid player. Can we just skip February and go right to free agency and the draft...PLEASE!!!

ingtar specifically answered a pm that i sent him about henson, and he said that the time off has greatly increased the buzz about him but that he was not a qb without flaws before he left the game. he basically said he is not that good and that the hype is sensless.

i checked, but i dont still have the pm. i wish i did, because he gave a much better explaination.. but i can say, after i read it, i was not excited about the guy.

The Spaz
02-02-2004, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka

how do we know what kind of talent a guy who only passed for 2900 yards in college has?

He holds a personal workout which is only by invitation kind of like McGahee did last year.:eek:

Tatonka
02-02-2004, 04:04 PM
i found it..

just for your info.. here is what ingtar posted on Henson. i asked him if he thought he was worth giving up a high pick.

Ingtar33 wrote on Today 12:50 PM:
not really... i think he's sort of benefited from the illusion of time. He was a good young QB with seemingly unlimited potential, but not a QB without some flaws. What happened is he left the college game while the buzz was forming, and people were protecting into the future he might be a top QB in the draft. Time has just driven up his stock unfoundedly.

I can give you 6 QB names who if they pulled a Henson right now would gain the same notoriety... and i'd be willing to bet that in a year no-one would be talking 1st round anymore.

Tatonka wrote on Yesterday 02:08 PM:
so you see no value in him.. no hope for him being a franchise qb.

Ingtar33 wrote on Today 02:05 PM:
No, he would have been a 2nd rounder if he played college football longer and came out in the draft like a normal player.

The Spaz
02-02-2004, 04:07 PM
A 2nd round QB isn't bad though is it? I'm not endorsig the guy by any means but if the Bills and their staff feel he can do it then I'm not going to be all over their arse either until I see that he sucks personally.

Tatonka
02-02-2004, 04:12 PM
if the front office picks him, i will not complain.. but in my eyes.. i see alot of other guys i would me be happy with.

madness
02-02-2004, 04:15 PM
I'm a big Michigan fan, and I honestly think Henson will do very well in the NFL. Brady on the other hand, I think is lucky because he ended up in the perfect system that compliments his strengths.

If the Bills decide to go with Henson I hope we can do the same thing with him.

The Spaz
02-02-2004, 04:16 PM
I wish I had footage of Henson!

Bert102176
02-02-2004, 04:44 PM
on WNSA no they said contract has been offered to him yet

DraftBoy
02-02-2004, 07:24 PM
I doubt he'll sign one, and T I was saying the talent that Henson does poses, we all know the kid has some amount of good in himor else this would not be creating any type of buzz about him. He was spectacular in college for the little he played and had huge hype about him. I doubt 3 years off has made most of his talent go away. Im sorry but I disagree with Ign on this one. Until the kid proves he cant do it just like all the others hes a top QB prospect in my mind.

helmetguy
02-02-2004, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by madness23
Brady on the other hand, I think is lucky because he ended up in the perfect system that compliments his strengths.

It's not luck. That's why good coaches ARE good coaches. Weis and Belichik are not asking Brady to do anything more than he is capable. Brady even admitted in an interview that, in some other place and some other system, he probably wouldn't succeed. I bring this up because, unlike what we just went through the past three years, NE does not stick to a formula or theory in planning strategy. If an idea doesn't work, they have an alternate, based on who the oppnent is and what they do. We had a staff that stuck to formulae and theory, regardless of whether it worked or not.

The Spaz
02-02-2004, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by helmetguy

It's not luck. That's why good coaches ARE good coaches. Weis and Belichik are not asking Brady to do anything more than he is capable. Brady even admitted in an interview that, in some other place and some other system, he probably wouldn't succeed. I bring this up because, unlike what we just went through the past three years, NE does not stick to a formula or theory in planning strategy. If an idea doesn't work, they have an alternate, based on who the oppnent is and what they do. We had a staff that stuck to formulae and theory, regardless of whether it worked or not.

Don't remind me.:dizzy: :scared:

TigerJ
02-02-2004, 08:04 PM
I think Bert was talking about Sam Wyche.

I can't help but make comparisons (contrasts) between Greg Williams and Mike Mularkey. Greg Williams talked super confident to the point of arrogance when he became head coach of the Bills, but his actions showed insecurity. Basically he chose assistant coaches who had less experience and fewer accomplishments than he did. Why? Was he afraid that a more experienced coach would judge his head coaching efforts? Although he got a later start (because he was named head coach later than Mularkey) I can't believe there were no assistant coaches available who had any NFL experience at the position they were being asked to coach. It was only after his flunkies failed that GW hired some experience. In contrast, Mularkey sought to retain Dick LeBeau, a coach with vast experience, did retain Jerry Gray with three years as DC, Jim McNally, the dean of offensive line coaches in the NFL, and now is (apparently) pursuing former head coach Sam Wyche. To me that says Mularkey is not afraid of experience, than he knows he can benefit from it, and the success of the team will validate his coaching, not how he looks compared to his staff.

eyedog
02-02-2004, 08:10 PM
I gotta disagree with Ing. on Henson. No way he is a 2nd rounder in his draft class if he stayed at Mich. Defininte 1st rd and probably a top -10 pick. Nobody can say for sure at this point if the baseball has taken away his football skills, I don't think it will, but that question won't be answered until he is in an NFL camp.And then you have to give him a year.

superbills
02-02-2004, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka
i found it..

just for your info.. here is what ingtar posted on Henson. i asked him if he thought he was worth giving up a high pick.

[/quote] [/QUOTE]

Thanks T. If this thing with Wyche pans out, I think Henson could turn into a solid weapon. Without a guy like Wyche to guide him along, though, it sounds like Henson may struggle at this level.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
02-02-2004, 11:13 PM
any new news on Wyche and the BILLS?

DIHARD2
02-02-2004, 11:23 PM
Brown?????

GOOooo!!!...BUFFALOOooo!!!!!.....

Tatonka
02-03-2004, 12:36 PM
yeah.. i havent seen anything reported onthis at all since this thread was started.

The Spaz
02-03-2004, 01:01 PM
Well Wyche said that he and the Bills have made contact but no contract has been offered yet. They had a clip of it this morning as well on WNSA FM radio.

BigZ
02-03-2004, 01:20 PM
Latest news on a google news search on Wyche (but it's still Monday's news):

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/football/nfl/02/03/roundup.monday.ap/

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. (AP) -- Former NFL head coach Sam Wyche is being considered by the Buffalo Bills to be their quarterbacks coach.

Wyche interviewed for the job with new Bills coach Mike Mularkey last week, a team spokesman said on Monday. Mularkey is also seeking a defensive backs coach to round out his staff.

Wyche was unavailable for comment Monday, said Wendy Wallace-Wright of Keppler Associates, a Virginia-based motivational speaking firm that includes Wyche as one of its clients.

Wyche has been out of the NFL since the 1995 season, when he was dismissed after four losing seasons coaching the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. He spent 1984-91 as head coach of the Bengals, a stretch in which he twice led Cincinnati to the playoffs, including 1988, when the team won the AFC championship and he was named the league's coach of the year.

Wyche turned to TV broadcasting but was forced to retire because of a paralyzed vocal chord in 2000.

Two years ago, he returned to football, coaching quarterbacks at a high school in his native Columbia, S.C.

A former quarterback, Wyche spent seven seasons playing in the NFL, breaking into the league in 1968. He also had a brief stint with the Bills in 1976.

He is known as a fiery motivator, whose first NFL coaching job was San Francisco's quarterbacks coach from 1979-82, a period in which he was credited with helping develop Joe Montana.

BigZ
02-03-2004, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by zielinski

He is known as a fiery motivator, whose first NFL coaching job was San Francisco's quarterbacks coach from 1979-82, a period in which he was credited with helping develop Joe Montana.

That is the line I really liked!!!

superbills
02-03-2004, 06:48 PM
Dammit, I should know better than to listen to WGR. Sorry guys, and girls, but I still believe it will happen!