PDA

View Full Version : Good grief... If the Pats Draft a RB

Tatonka
02-02-2004, 10:46 AM
If the Pats grab a RB in the first/second round... Jackson, Jones, or the other jones.. that is gonna be one tough team to deal with for years.

lets hope they screw this draft up real bad and lose a bunch of guys in the offseason,

The Spaz
02-02-2004, 10:48 AM
I think that they would try an dget Steven Jackson. I know it's sick to think they have 2 # 1's 2 #2's and 2 # 4's!:dizzy:

:pray: They screw up the draft!

saviorbledsoe
02-02-2004, 11:40 AM
The clock struck midnight for Cinderella again. Maybe in 2005 they'll win but my money is on Caralina and NE missing the playoffs next year. Thanks to current trends.

The Natrix
02-02-2004, 11:47 AM
Imagine if R. Colvin comes back 100%

don137
02-02-2004, 12:22 PM
They Pats will be tough in the future there is no doubt about it.

I think there defense was exposed a little yesterday to the hurry up offense. It seemed that the defense didn't try too confuse the offense when Carolina was in a hurry up because they didn't have time to get all the players on the same page so they ran a pretty basic defense and Carolina was able to move the ball. When Carolina huddles it gave NE a chance to call a play defensively to trick the Panthers offense.

That is definately something for opposing OC to think about next year when NE is on the road (tough to play a hurry up offense I think with the crowd noise at New England).
Remember Indy scored 30+ points against NE when they played in Indy. Granted Indy has a topshelf offense...

Michael82
02-02-2004, 07:02 PM
The Pats have some players that they need to resign in free agency....

Unrestricted Free Agents
C/G Damien Woody
DT Ted Washington
RB Kevin Faulk
RB Mike Cloud
S Je'Rod Cherry
DE Bobby Hamilton
DT Rick Lyle
RB Patrick Pass
DE Anthony Pleasant
C Mike Compton
S Antwan Harris
QB Damon Huard

Restricted Free Agents
C/G Russ Hochstein

The Spaz
02-02-2004, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by Mike32282

Unrestricted Free Agents
C/G Damien Woody
DT Ted Washington
RB Kevin Faulk
RB Mike Cloud
S Je'Rod Cherry
DE Bobby Hamilton
DT Rick Lyle
RB Patrick Pass
DE Anthony Pleasant
C Mike Compton
S Antwan Harris
QB Damon Huard

Restricted Free Agents
C/G Russ Hochstein

Get working on your picks!:whip:

DraftBoy
02-02-2004, 07:28 PM

Unrestricted Free Agents
C/G Damien Woody
DT Ted Washington
RB Kevin Faulk
RB Mike Cloud
S Je'Rod Cherry
DE Bobby Hamilton
DT Rick Lyle
RB Patrick Pass
DE Anthony Pleasant
C Mike Compton
S Antwan Harris
QB Damon Huard

Restricted Free Agents
C/G Russ Hochstein

And all of about none of those players except Big Ted had any type of a signfigant impact on the run. Woody I would say be he is banged up and isnt really expected to be retained.

Ingtar33
02-03-2004, 12:23 AM
Car was the first team in a while exploit what i thought was NE biggest weakness... a VERY slow secondary. Good, yes... even borderline great secondary... but terribly terribly slow...

Car ate them alive all game... all they needed was max protect (yes... Car was only sending three into the pattern most of the game), and an uber fast WR corps with Muhammad and Smith.

Ingtar33
02-03-2004, 12:27 AM
funny how a probowl Center in Woody suddenly becomes expendable...

D.Woody sacrificed his future FA money for the team this last season... when their OG went down with an injury, he moved from his probowl position to guard for most of the year, and played at a near all pro level at RG all season long... then he went down with injury, and the pats got decent (not great) protection from Woody's backup...

now he's expendable... personally, i'd kiss TD if the Bills picked him up.

Michael82
02-03-2004, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by Ingtar33
funny how a probowl Center in Woody suddenly becomes expendable...

D.Woody sacrificed his future FA money for the team this last season... when their OG went down with an injury, he moved from his probowl position to guard for most of the year, and played at a near all pro level at RG all season long... then he went down with injury, and the pats got decent (not great) protection from Woody's backup...

now he's expendable... personally, i'd kiss TD if the Bills picked him up.

I agree! I'm drooling over the thought of getting Damien Woody. He would be a great addition to the team. The only thing I am concerned with is his injury. Any word on it? Is it supposed to be healed by training camp or will this hurt his play? :feedback:

elltrain22
02-03-2004, 08:48 AM
They have the most amount of draft picks through the first 3 rounds than any other team in the league. This team is building a dynasty, but a little team from Buffalo will be standing in there way next year.

casdhf
02-03-2004, 04:43 PM
Why can't he shotgun snap?

Ickybaluky
02-03-2004, 09:10 PM
Woody will be healthy, likely not even needing surgery (hasn't been determined yet). He has always struggled shotgun snapping, and the Pats haven't had him do it since the 2000 season.

I figure Woody will go, just because he will be worth more than the Pats want to pay. If he goes to FA, I think he gets a better offer than NE will give him. It is too bad because he is a solid player and quality individual, but Matt Light is likely to command bigger money soon and the Pats have a cheaper option at C in Dan Koppen. Woody either has to take a discount to stay with them at OG or hit FA.

Damien would help a lot of teams, as not very many interior lineman have his combination of size and athleticism.

Tatonka
02-03-2004, 09:48 PM
I agree! I'm drooling over the thought of getting Damien Woody. He would be a great addition to the team. The only thing I am concerned with is his injury. Any word on it? Is it supposed to be healed by training camp or will this hurt his play? :feedback:

Originally posted by NE39
Woody will be healthy, likely not even needing surgery (hasn't been determined yet). He has always struggled shotgun snapping, and the Pats haven't had him do it since the 2000 season.

I figure Woody will go, just because he will be worth more than the Pats want to pay. If he goes to FA, I think he gets a better offer than NE will give him. It is too bad because he is a solid player and quality individual, but Matt Light is likely to command bigger money soon and the Pats have a cheaper option at C in Dan Koppen. Woody either has to take a discount to stay with them at OG or hit FA.

Damien would help a lot of teams, as not very many interior lineman have his combination of size and athleticism.

do you think he is better at guard or center?

The Spaz
02-03-2004, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka

do you think he is better at guard or center?

For us at center no doubt.

hintexas
02-03-2004, 10:32 PM
Just think if the Patriots trade a draft pick or two to the Bengals and get Corey Dillion

Tatonka
02-03-2004, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by The Spaz
For us at center no doubt.

i dont know that.. imagine if he took pucillo's place and we get jake grove.. that would solve our oline problems completely.

The Spaz
02-03-2004, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka

i dont know that.. imagine if he took pucillo's place and we get jake grove.. that would solve our oline problems completely.

That's true. I just wonder if Woody would have a preference?

Ickybaluky
02-04-2004, 06:25 AM
Woody has said he has worked at overcoming his shotgun-snapping snafu's, but the team has never really trusted him in a game (probably due to there being another option in Compton).

If Woody shows he can shotgun snap, then put him at C since it is a more important position (easier to find OG). If not, he is a very good OG as well. At any of the 3 interior line positions, Woody is unusual since he has the size and strength to play a physical, smashmouth style and the athleticism to pull and lead sweeps. He is, IMO, the Pats best OL.

Woody has stated he wants to stay in NE, and might be willing to take less to make it happen. However, he also wants to be paid along the lines of a top OL, which he has earned. It will be interesting to see how much value he will place on wanting to return. However, given the reality of the cap and the fact the Pats have younger, cheaper players at his position(s), it seems a 50/50 proposition he will re-sign at this point.

If the team is unable (or unwilling) to sign him prior to the start of FA, then I think it is likely another team will offer him a contract he can't refuse.

Ickybaluky
02-04-2004, 06:26 AM
Woody has stated on many occasions he doesn't care if he plays C or OG. His position flexibility is another thing that adds to his value.

Throne Logic
02-04-2004, 12:11 PM
He's most likely going to be too expensive. But, if we could get him at an affordable rate, it would give TD and Mularky the flexibility of finding either an OG or a C to fill the remaining hole in the line. Woody would just play whichever position was left.

Tatonka
02-04-2004, 01:06 PM
we know that TD loves guys who are versitile on the oline.

SABURZFAN
02-04-2004, 01:16 PM
new england is sitting in a great position.they have draft picks up the yingyang and there's a lot of quality players to help fill the needs that they have(in their case,what LITTLE needs they have).if the Pats get a RB like steven jackson and OL help through the draft,they'll be a helluva football team for years.

wazz
02-04-2004, 02:50 PM
i dunno how happy NE will be with all the draft picks. i don't know what their cap situation is, but after winning a SB 2 out of 3 years, there gonna be some players wanting bigger bucks straight away. then how do you fund 2 first round picks, 2 second round picks in the same year? and trading them wont be easy. all they could really trade is the extra picks. who wants the lat pick in a round? it's cheaper to trade for a first in the next round surely??

they are a solid team and coz they more of a working team tan full of stars oi feel they can be a dominant team for a good few years yet. AND not to mentioning they have a great great QB who is only 26? this team could go down in history. unless we stop them....

Michael82
02-04-2004, 08:56 PM
From what I have read....Troy Brown is one of those NE guys leaving for the money. :D

Ickybaluky
02-04-2004, 09:04 PM
Troy Brown isn't a FA, but there is speculation he might be a cap casualty if the team is unable to restructure his contract (he is in the final year).

Willie McGinest is another guy being speculated as a cap casualty, since his number went way up in 2004 because incentives are now LTBE with his play last season. The team will try to restructure him.

Roman Phifer is another veteran with a contract that might lead to his leaving NE. However, there is also a chance he will retire.