PDA

View Full Version : Mularkey News

Michael82
02-03-2004, 08:30 AM
POSTED 10:15 a.m. EST, February 1, 2004
MULARKEY WOULD'VE BEEN FIRED

A solid, reliable source (as compared to our usual shaky, suspicious sources) tells us that Steelers coach Bill Cowher planned to fire offensive coordinator Mike Mularkey if he hadn't been hired by the Bills as the new head coach in Buffalo.

Per the source, Cowher opted to wait until the Bills made their decision because he was concerned that, if he'd fired Mularkey in advance, the Bills would have scratched Mularkey's name off of the list.

The Falcons did just that when Cowher fired defensive coordinator Tim Lewis. Lewis already had one interview in Atlanta, and a return visit was planned. When Cowher cut him loose, however, the session was canceled.

This news hardly surprises us. When we reported several weeks back that Lewis would be released (even before Cowher denied that any changes to the coaching staff would be made), it seemed odd to us that Lewis would be on the chopping block while Mularkey was being mentioned for head coaching jobs.

Though Lewis's defense was the Steelers' biggest liability in a disappointing 2002 season, Mularkey's offense was the problem in 2003.

We don't expect this news to make Bills fans feel any better about their new head coach, and we predict that G.M. Tom Donahoe will tap into his network of media contacts to cajole someone into saying that we're full of caa-caa. Regardless, our mission is to bring out the unfiltered, unsanitized truth -- and as far as we can tell, the truth is that Mularkey was done in Pittsburgh with or without a promotion in a new town.

---------------------------------------------------------

POSTED 12:42 a.m. EST, UPDATED 9:25 a.m. EST, February 2, 2004
MULARKEY STORY OFF THE MARK

A source whom we regard as being even more connected and reliable than the source who told us that the Steelers were going to fire offensive coordinator Mike Mularkey tells us that Mularkey was not going to get the heave-ho if he hadn't been hired by the Bills.

Per this source, Mularkey actually was in line for a contract extension in Pittsburgh.

On Sunday morning, we reported that the Steelers would have fired Mularkey if the Bills had not named him the successor to Gregg Williams. As it turns out, we were wr-wr-wr-wrong.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

SABURZFAN
02-03-2004, 08:43 AM
i feel that mularkey has brought in some good coaches with him.that's what has impressed me so far.

elltrain22
02-03-2004, 08:44 AM
One way or another, and despite what i will hear and read, i am a believer. Mularkey will be a good coach for this team, wait and see.

Michael82
02-03-2004, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by SABURZFAN
i feel that mularkey has brought in some good coaches with him.that's what has impressed me so far.

I totally agree! Very impressive staff and I'm just waiting for Wyche to come in and a DB coach to finish it off! :up:

lordofgun
02-03-2004, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by Mike32282
POSTED 10:15 a.m. EST, February 1, 2004
MULARKEY WOULD'VE BEEN FIRED

A solid, reliable source (as compared to our usual shaky, suspicious sources) tells us that Steelers coach Bill Cowher planned to fire offensive coordinator Mike Mularkey if he hadn't been hired by the Bills as the new head coach in Buffalo.

Per the source, Cowher opted to wait until the Bills made their decision because he was concerned that, if he'd fired Mularkey in advance, the Bills would have scratched Mularkey's name off of the list.

The Falcons did just that when Cowher fired defensive coordinator Tim Lewis. Lewis already had one interview in Atlanta, and a return visit was planned. When Cowher cut him loose, however, the session was canceled.

This news hardly surprises us. When we reported several weeks back that Lewis would be released (even before Cowher denied that any changes to the coaching staff would be made), it seemed odd to us that Lewis would be on the chopping block while Mularkey was being mentioned for head coaching jobs.

Though Lewis's defense was the Steelers' biggest liability in a disappointing 2002 season, Mularkey's offense was the problem in 2003.

We don't expect this news to make Bills fans feel any better about their new head coach, and we predict that G.M. Tom Donahoe will tap into his network of media contacts to cajole someone into saying that we're full of caa-caa. Regardless, our mission is to bring out the unfiltered, unsanitized truth -- and as far as we can tell, the truth is that Mularkey was done in Pittsburgh with or without a promotion in a new town.

---------------------------------------------------------

POSTED 12:42 a.m. EST, UPDATED 9:25 a.m. EST, February 2, 2004
MULARKEY STORY OFF THE MARK

A source whom we regard as being even more connected and reliable than the source who told us that the Steelers were going to fire offensive coordinator Mike Mularkey tells us that Mularkey was not going to get the heave-ho if he hadn't been hired by the Bills.

Per this source, Mularkey actually was in line for a contract extension in Pittsburgh.

On Sunday morning, we reported that the Steelers would have fired Mularkey if the Bills had not named him the successor to Gregg Williams. As it turns out, we were wr-wr-wr-wrong.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

:dizzy:

Michael82
02-03-2004, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by elltrain22
One way or another, and despite what i will hear and read, i am a believer. Mularkey will be a good coach for this team, wait and see.

I agree! I will wait and see, but I like what I hear so far! Can't wait for the first Training camp. I want to see if he is full of Mularkey or not. :snicker:

Michael82
02-03-2004, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by lordofgun
:dizzy:

Don't you love it! PFT is such a joke. :snicker:

Earthquake Enyart
02-03-2004, 09:06 AM
What do Brian H's sources say? :eek:

Oh, wait. He's banned. Now we'll never know the truth. :down:

SABURZFAN
02-03-2004, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
What do Brian H's sources say? :eek:

Oh, wait. He's banned. Now we'll never know the truth. :down:

:laughter:

Pride
02-03-2004, 09:17 AM
I dont need a fantastic coordinator for HC. I want a coach who can manage the game, his coordinators, and his players.

He has hired good guys beneath him... as long as he manages the game and what goes on, on the field... I will be happy.

The Spaz
02-03-2004, 09:22 AM
As soon as I saw the source I didn't even bother reading the rest of the story!:down:

G. Host
02-03-2004, 09:47 AM
That site is wrong more often they are right!

Michael82
02-03-2004, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by G. Host
That site is wrong more often they are right!

I know! It's hard to believe that it is used as a source for soo many sports sites. :eek:

wbat27
02-03-2004, 10:31 AM
I look at it like this GW had all the right credentials he sucked so I give mularkey full support bring on 2004 ain't never scared

to80td
02-03-2004, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by Mike32282
I know! It's hard to believe that it is used as a source for soo many sports sites. :eek:

What sites use them as a source?

G. Host
02-03-2004, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by to80td

What sites use them as a source?

Just fan sites as far as I can tell. Sites which will publish anything not considering whether it is written the toilet paper it is written on!

to80td
02-03-2004, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by G. Host
Just fan sites as far as I can tell. Sites which will publish anything not considering whether it is written the toilet paper it is written on!

Right. Mikey seems all fired up about it like ESPN was using it or something.

The Spaz
02-03-2004, 10:43 AM
It's still a POS article no matter who uses it.

Michael82
02-03-2004, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by to80td
Right. Miley seems all fired up about it like ESPN was using it or something.

Nah, just fan sites and KFFL

TigerJ
02-03-2004, 11:02 AM
Frankly, it doesn't matter to me what Bill Cowher does. I think at this point in time Bill Cowher is all about saving his own skin and "scapegoating" (looking to place blame anywhere but on himself) than about anything else.

buffalofan72
02-03-2004, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by TigerJ
Frankly, it doesn't matter to me what Bill Cowher does. I think at this point in time Bill Cowher is all about saving his own skin and "scapegoating" (looking to place blame anywhere but on himself) than about anything else.

I wouldn't be suprised if Mularkey was set up to be his scapegoat next year.

BigZ
02-03-2004, 01:16 PM
Well, at least they got the retraction out before I managed to read the original piece of crap they posted.

IMO, MM has brought in great assistants. Wyche would add a little icing to the cake.

I think it will be very interesting to watch the guy called "Iron Mike" bring a little smashmouth football back to Buffalo!