• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LouGrant
    The Zone Editor
    • Jul 2002

Zone Original: 13th Pick Speculation

New Zone writer Eddie Weeks joins us and brings us his first article. He speculates on who he would like the Buffalo Bills to take with the 13th pick of the upcoming draft.

So here we all sit waiting for the 2004 draft, wondering whom our Buffalo Bills will take at pick number 13. God, is this an exciting time of year or what? I’ve looked at all the mock drafts out there and they’ve got us taking everything from a Defensive End to a Tight End and, yes even a Quarterback. I know this isn’t going to be a popular article, but then again not every pick a team makes is going to overwhelm every fan.

This is how I would use the 13th overall pick in this years up coming draft. Let me start by saying that I’m a very big fan of Drew Bledsoe. I believe Drew has a couple very good years left in him, but we need to get a quality quarterback in here to learn and become the future of this team. So that being said, I would love to hear the words, "With the 13 pick in the 2004 NFL draft, the Buffalo Bills select from North Carolina State, quarterback, Philip Rivers." That is the line I would like to hear come draft day. Let me tell you why.

Full article
    Get into the Zone
  • NC-BILLS44
    • Jul 2002

I loved the article.
    I heard that someone asked Marty Schottenhiemer (sp) about Rivers, after the Senior Bowl and he said that Rivers has it ALL.
    Marty was one of the coaches.

Comment

• The Natrix
      • Jul 2002

Passing on Rivers would be a huge mistake, assuming there are no surprises that fall to us.

Byrd.

Comment

• baalworship
        • May 2003

I like Rivers too. The guy has all the intangibles and is a winner. Here is what I posted on football.com in response to DJ Boyer's mock draft where the Bills pick a DE (one of the biggest conventional wisdoms in the national mock drafts):

DJ,

Some thoughts on your Bills pick. While I agree that the Bills would love a dominant pass-rusher on the other side of Schobel, I don't think they will pick a DE in round 1.
        The Bills have spent a high pick on DE in every year of Tom Donahoe's 3 year tenure at Buffalo. Schobel in 2001, Denney in 2002, and Kelsay in 2003. Schobel is a good DE that is still getting better. Denney looks like a bust. Kelsay was a guy that many thought the Bills would grab at #23 last year. Instead, we drafted him in the second after Mcgahee. Donahoe said after we drafted him that he had Kelsay as a 1st rounder on the Bills board. While Kelsay hasn't shown much in games the Bills brass are very optimistic about next year. Jerry Gray thinks he will be the most improved player next year. I bet that Donahoe thinks Kelsay will improve and will look elsewhere at #1.
        The Bills have a lot of needs that could be addressed at #1. I know the owner said he wanted to upgrade the offensive side of the ball.

My guess is the Bills would take the following guys if they are still around at #13:

1. Shawn Andrews: The weakest spot on our line is Right Guard. At 6'6'' 360 Andrews the Bills would switch Andrews to guard like Leonard Davis. Next to #4 overall pick Mike Williams he would create an instant power running game in frigid Buffalo for Travis Henry and Willis McGahee.

2.Reggie Williams: The Bills need another WR opposite Moulds. Josh Reed is a good #3 slot receiver, not a #2. Plus it gives the new coach a present for his re-invention of our offense.

3. Phillip Rivers: Bledsoe is on the decline. He has lost his ability to feel pressure and get rid of the ball quickly. Donahoe said he wants a QB in the first 3 rounds for us to develop.

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
          Legendary Zoner
          • Jul 2002

Who are all these new guys?

They sure beat the hell out of Mark Weiler and Michael Thomas.

Comment

• northernbillfan
            Hello, I'm Mike and I'm a Bills fan.

Administrator Emeritus
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart

We recruited a bunch of new writers in the past couple of weeks.
            When I die, please don't let my wife sell my camera equipment for what I told her I paid for it.

Comment

• Ebenezer
              Give me a minute...
              • Jul 2002

I'm starting to wonder if Rivers even makes it to 13....depending how things go with personal workout it is possible that other teams may try to move up to get him.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• The Spaz
                • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Ebenezer
                I'm starting to wonder if Rivers even makes it to 13....depending how things go with personal workout it is possible that other teams may try to move up to get him.
                Your exactly right if Henson bombs his workout I can see the Steelers snagging him. I am also assuming that the Chargers take Manning and that the Cardinals take "Big Ben".

Comment

• Ebenezer
                  Give me a minute...
                  • Jul 2002

Knowing how unpredictable Al Davis is I could envision him taking Rivers...

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• The Spaz
                    • Mar 2003

Comment

• SABURZFAN
                      short bus extraordinaire
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart

:snicker2:
                      Originally posted by yordad
                      Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• Bert102176
                        • Aug 2002

I think the only team in front of us that would take a QB is the Steelers with Eli to the Chargers and Ben to the Cardinals but I think the Steelers may trade with Houston for Henson which would leave Rivers for us baring anyone trade infront of us.
                        lets go BUFFALO lets go BUFFALO

Comment

• Tatonka
                          • Jul 2002

better than miami getting him.
                          "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• shelby
                            The Vanilla admin
                            • Jul 2002

Great article!

Comment

• mypoorfriendme
                              • Apr 2003

its funny how before the senior bowl pretty much everyone (besides me of course) thought rivers was about a third rounder. now talk about top 15?

but anyways, i dont think the steelers will go for a qb when they have more pressing needs at RB among other things. im about 98% sure rivers will be there at 13. however, its a matter of who else is there that TD likes more. and who knows, maybe donahoe isnt a rivers fan and is not even considering him at 13
                              the dude abides

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡