PDA

View Full Version : Trey Teague and M. Sullivan

Throne Logic
02-04-2004, 12:22 PM
Based upon performance, we now believe that Teague is an average Center, at best. Now, coaching / schemes may have had a lot to do with his blocking issues, however, the snapping problem is mostly his.

The question is, since he's signed to a couple of more years, what can Buffalo do with him? He was a tackle in Denver, but from all the various reports, I gather that Jennings and Williams are each better than him at OT. He could serve as a backup to the OT postions.

Can he play OG? Might he have the ability to start at RG, thereby solving one of the problems with a current roster member?

Now, Sullivan was doing pretty well in 2002. Last year, things went south primarily, it appears, because of the coaching staff. Might the new staff "fix" him? Perhaps he can step back into the RG position and solve that problem.

I know many of you are high on drafting an OL in the first round or spending big bucks on a FA. I'm just wondering if we actually need to do this for both the RG and C positions when the RG solution is already in Western NY. This would free up money / Draft Picks for focusing on a Center.

Thoughts?

Ebenezer
02-04-2004, 12:27 PM
From a salary cap standpoint??

They save $458K if they cut TT before 6/1...$1.5 mil after that...if they cut him they also save $1.25 mil next year.

Sullivan is a RFA...they can bring him back for $675K or let him flee.

Throne Logic
02-04-2004, 12:36 PM
I guess it's up to the coaches to determine if Teague can be made useful. Or if it's worth the $1 Million in dead cap money to cut him loose.

Ebenezer
02-04-2004, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Throne Logic
I guess it's up to the coaches to determine if Teague can be made useful. Or if it's worth the $1 Million in dead cap money to cut him loose.

IMO?? I think he is salvagable..as a Guard.

The Spaz
02-04-2004, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Ebenezer

IMO?? I think he is salvagable..as a Guard.

Isn't Teague pretty light though?

BillsMan80
02-04-2004, 01:00 PM
What about using Jennings-Brown-Teague-Williams-Sullivan as a line? Isn't Sullivan a true tackle anyway? I think that line might have a chance to be a solid line.

juice
02-04-2004, 01:02 PM
Keep Sullivan, he needs to be coached.

Throne Logic
02-04-2004, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by juice
Keep Sullivan, he needs to be coached.

I think you're right. Williams could use some of that, too.

I think Williams is fine at RT. Especially with McNally teaching him.

SABURZFAN
02-04-2004, 01:07 PM
i think sullivan is worth keeping.we have no choice but to keep teague because of his contract.i'm not too wild about Dead Cap Space.it still wouldn't hurt to draft an OL.i want someone with a nasty,mean streak.peterman-G-LSU comes to mind.

Ebenezer
02-04-2004, 01:08 PM
True, we might finally find out which of these guys actually has some talent with McNally in the fold.

wazz
02-04-2004, 01:14 PM
Teague was a good LT, and as such that is why his figure is reasonably high considering he's playing center. imo something will be done with his contract coz ppl have to acknowledge that he is no longer a LT. however, the fact he's played at left tackle for a good while and on a good line (denver) suggests he should be able to combine the skills of a Tackle, with the new skills he didn't quite perfect as a Centre to be a solid Guard.

Stewie
02-04-2004, 03:47 PM
Move Jennings back to RT. Move Williams to RG. Move Teague to LT. Let RB play LG. Find a C (Pukechillo?)

Jan Reimers
02-04-2004, 04:42 PM
I think Teague only started 1+ years, and Denver made no real attempt to re-sign him, so I'm not sure how good he actually was, or is.

Sullivan might turn out to be good with some better coaching.

TigerJ
02-04-2004, 05:25 PM
Whether or not McNally can help Sullivan become comfortable at guard is anyone's guess. I'm not in favor of moving Jennings or Mike Williams. My guess is that the Bills will add one new interior lineman, replacing either Pucillo or Ross Tucker. If that new lineman is a center, they'll shift Teague to right guard. If he's a guard, he'll immediately get plugged in there for Buffalo.

JefftheBillsfan
02-04-2004, 05:37 PM
is sully willing to play OG again? Or is it tackle or nothing?

wazz
02-04-2004, 05:53 PM
i don't know exactly how good Teague was, but when he came in i thought he was very highly viewed. Jennings just beat him out in camp coz one or other was going to be starting LT the other making the switch to C. but regardless, it seems to be easier to move inwards on the line. for example, a guard could move to C easier that OT, and OT to OG easier than C. because the skills are more similar than the others, as such if we find a centre for us, then Teague would probably hold firm at Guard. maybe.

alsao ppl, do't forget about Sobieski. he was obviously quiet this year, even with injuries, but with McNally bringing his expertise, and Sobieski's versatility and potential we may already have the solution. also Ross Tucker showed glimpses when given a chance, so maybe we just need coaching. All i know for sure is that Pucillo should be gone. he just plain sucked