PDA

View Full Version : Blake released by Cardinals

The Spaz
02-04-2004, 07:48 PM
TEMPE, Ariz. (AP) -- The Arizona Cardinals released Jeff Blake on Wednesday, increasing the probability the team will use the No. 3 pick in the April draft to get a quarterback.

It was the first major player move since Dennis Green became Arizona's coach on Jan. 7.

Blake signed with the Cardinals as a free agent March 12, arriving as the intended replacement for Jake Plummer, who left for Denver. But he was replaced with three games to go, and second-player Josh McCown earned a victory in his third start, beating Minnesota 18-17 with a touchdown pass in the final seconds.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-cardinals-blake&prov=ap&type=lgns

Well I think there going to draft a Qb what do you think?:snicker:

juice
02-04-2004, 08:36 PM
I think Blake is the best QB in Arizona. Bolden must have been playing catch with himself. JB still has one of the best deep balls in the League.

The Spaz
02-04-2004, 09:01 PM
TEMPE, Ariz. (AP) -- Arizona Cardinals coach Dennis Green released Jeff Blake on Wednesday, saying Josh McCown showed in three starts at the end of last season that he was the team's quarterback of the future.

Green refused to discuss Blake's shortcomings and said the decision had more to do with McCown's potential.

``It's about Josh being ready in his third year to be the starting quarterback,'' Green said. ``I think that when you draft a player, you expect that player to play. Some play the first year, some play the second year. They better start playing by the third year.''

The switch will have no bearing on whether the Cardinals draft a quarterback in April, when they will have the No. 3 pick overall, Green said.

``You don't try to outsmart yourself. You take the best player on the board, because you're always going to get a great player.'' Green said. ``Whether that player is a quarterback or not is irrelevant; you can never have too many good players. And no matter who comes in -- whether it's an eight-year veteran or a 22-year-old rookie -- Josh McCown knows that they want his job.''

But Green reiterated that any newcomer would arrive as McCown's backup.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-cardinals-blake&prov=ap&type=lgns

Gunzlingr
02-05-2004, 06:41 AM
The crawl on ESPN, said the Cards have released Jeff Blake. I know some people thought he should be here instead of Drew, so I wonder if we will bring him in for a look.

Gunzlingr
02-05-2004, 06:42 AM
Here is the link:

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/ARI/7063123

Jan Reimers
02-05-2004, 06:52 AM
I know to some, anyone is better than Drew, but let's take our QB of the future on day 1 of the draft and "pass" on journeyman Blake.

Gunzlingr
02-05-2004, 07:14 AM
I was thinking of him in a backup capacity.

The Spaz
02-05-2004, 07:17 AM
I already made a thread last night about this.

The Spaz
02-05-2004, 07:21 AM
Bump:dizzy:

The Spaz
02-05-2004, 07:41 AM
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38373

Ebenezer
02-05-2004, 08:12 AM
Guess Blake wasn't the answer when we picked up Bledsoe...:snicker:

Mr. Miyagi
02-05-2004, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by The Spaz
I already made a thread last night about this.
Threads merged and moved back to Bills Zone. :miyagi:

elltrain22
02-05-2004, 08:45 AM
That really sucks. I hope Blake can catch on w/ someone else.

Who knows where Blake went to school ????

STAMPY
02-05-2004, 09:26 AM
blake is no way a better qb then bledsoe... neone who thinks so is crazy and pass me the **** your smoking... the guys been passed around for a reason... he lost his job too to a rookie in mccown whose decent at best

Jan Reimers
02-05-2004, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by elltrain22
That really sucks. I hope Blake can catch on w/ someone else.

Who knows where Blake went to school ????

East Carolina?

juice
02-05-2004, 01:09 PM
"We Believe" Blakes Peach Bowl second half performance was one of the best of all times.

elltrain22
02-05-2004, 01:48 PM
Good job Jan Remierma. I asked b/c that is my where i go to school, and got to show some pride.

Earthquake Enyart
02-05-2004, 03:17 PM
Wys has a woodie. :couch:

The Spaz
02-05-2004, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart

:jawdrop:

BillsFever
02-05-2004, 04:14 PM
To bad it wouldn't happen, but I'd like to cut Drew, draft a QB, and bring in Blake at a cheap price for a year or two.

Blake sucks, but at least he can suck for 1 million a season and not 8.

SABURZFAN
02-05-2004, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart

WHO????????:scratch:

juice
02-05-2004, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by BillsFever
To bad it wouldn't happen, but I'd like to cut Drew, draft a QB, and bring in Blake at a cheap price for a year or two.

Blake sucks, but at least he can suck for 1 million a season and not 8.

Blake put another reciever into the Pro Bpwl this year. He tends to do that every few years.

Novacane
02-05-2004, 08:18 PM
I'd at least like to see him in here as a backup for Drew. I think we could get him for less or no more than Van Pelt is getting as backup. I'd feel more comfortable with Blake in there than AVP.
He could step in if Bledsoe sucks it up again too.`