Revisionist History #2-2/5-What if Donahoe hires John Fox instead of Gregg Williams?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ebenezer
    Give me a minute...
    • Jul 2002

Revisionist History #2-2/5-What if Donahoe hires John Fox instead of Gregg Williams?

So, it's been three years since Tom Donahoe stepped up to the podium and announced the hiring of John Fox as the new Head Coach of the Buffalo Bills. What has happened since?

My thoughts:

2001 The Bills gut the team because of the salary cap mess left behind by the John Butler administration. Behind new coach Fox and Rob Johnson the team flounders to a 4-12 record.

2002 The Bills acquire more talent via the draft and now with money in the coffers get some FAs in to start to help rebuild the team. The Bills get Drew Bledsoe on draft day trade. They come out of the box 5-3 and ready to roll. They finish 8-8 after teams start to figure out DB. The running game takes off and TH runs for 1600 yards as Fox tells his OC that, while still effective, DB is starting to slip. The defense needs major help on the line.

2003 The Bills shop in free agency and bring in the tools on defense while losing some components of the passing game. Fox orders his OC to pound TH 25-35 times a game. The Bills run on defenses but fail to be able to create turnovers because the DE is still a little weak. The Bills finish 9-7 losing tough close games in KC, Miami and Tennessee to prevent them from making the playoffs. John Fox is rewarded with a new 3 year contract.

What say you?

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.
  • Patrick76777
    • Jul 2002

I thought you reached on the first one, but I have to agree on this one. Maybe If Fox does run a little more at the end of the 2002 season we win an extra game and finish at 9-7 which may have given us a playoff spot.

9 wins sounds about right this year, but it could have been more. I still say that if we ran near the endzone down in Miami in week 3 we could have been 3-0 and the season would have been very different
    Resign our own guys!

Comment

• elltrain22
      • Sep 2003

Great question. 2002 would've been prob' and 8-8 or 7-9 season, w/ Henry rushing for over 1400 yds, and Price and Moulds still would've gotten over 1000 yds. Bledsoe would've been productive for him as well. The defense would have been the achilles heel, but Fox and his organization would nip that in the butt for 2003. 2003 the Bills would've been a playoff team, making Henry the workhorse that he is, and showing up a defense that would've finished 2nd or 3rd in the league.
      If you walk with Jesus today, you don't have anything to worry about tomorrow...

Comment

• don137
        • Jul 2002

One thing Foc has instilled in Carolina is the belief that the team can win any game. I don't think the Bills had that mentailty since in the early 90's. One of the first thing Fox noticed about the Panthers in their 1-15 season (the year prior to him being hired as HC) was their lack of toughness and that his team. MM commented the same thing about these Bills.
        I agree Fox would have made this team much better. I am not sure he is a top notch game day coach but overall he is a top notch coach.

Comment

• BillsFever
          Mr. Predictament
          • Feb 2003

He would've been fired so the Bills could find an offensive minded coach like Mike Malarkey to try and rejuvinate Drew Bledsoe.

Comment

• RUDEbyallMEANS
            • Jun 2003

Originally posted by Patrick76777
            I still say that if we ran near the endzone down in Miami in week 3 we could have been 3-0 and the season would have been very different
            FLASHBACK

Travis Henry couldn't run for shiznit on Miami that day and was knocked out.. Miami's defense too physical for Buffalo's offense..

Wishful thinking..

<~~~ Travis Henry

Boston puts Woodson face first. "What else is new???"

>>>>>>>>>> Troy Vincents Worst Nightmare <<<<<<<<<<<

"Who's The BIATCH NOW"!!!!!!!??????

Comment

• BillsFever
              Mr. Predictament
              • Feb 2003

Joe Burns can really pound out them yards.

Comment

• SABURZFAN
                short bus extraordinaire
                • Jul 2002

coulda...

woulda....

shoulda....

but we didn't.
                Originally posted by yordad
                Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

Working...
                X