PDA

View Full Version : Clarrett ruled Elgible for NFL draft

don137
02-05-2004, 09:04 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1727856

Suspended Ohio State running back Maurice Clarett was ruled eligible for the NFL draft Thursday by a federal judge who concluded that the league's rule violates antitrust laws.
The ruling can be appealed by the NFL...

This ruling can definately help teams in need of a running back (i.e. NE) because the supply pool just increased...

Ebenezer
02-05-2004, 09:06 AM
Amazing..if the NFL loses on this one it will open up the flood gates...they'll be drafting kids out of high school next...

What is antitrust about telling a kid he has to be removed 3 years from his high school to "work at his job"...he has alternatives...he can play arena ball, cfl, etc....

oh well, courts screw things up again.

lordofgun
02-05-2004, 09:19 AM
The owners should collude and keep him out. :up:

STAMPY
02-05-2004, 09:23 AM
i think its ratarded... he should be allowed to play...if he has the talent, why not... the nba allows it and look at how well the guys that are dubbed can't misses do... garnett, lebron, jermaine oneal, tmac

The Spaz
02-05-2004, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by BuffaloBillsSTAMPEDE
i think its ratarded... he should be allowed to play...if he has the talent, why not... the nba allows it and look at how well the guys that are dubbed can't misses do... garnett, lebron, jermaine oneal, tmac

Exactly look at the NBA it is full of basketball players who have come out of High School only to ride the pine sure ther are exceptions, T-Mac, Kobe Bryant, Kevin Garnett and some others but there are a lot more who have failed. Basketball is not physical of a sport as football and in fact it is not even close. The NBA is very dilluted in talent because of this.

TheGhostofJimKelly
02-05-2004, 09:30 AM
I just read somewhere that the Bears are very interested in Clarrett and might even use a 2nd round pick on him. If Houston wasted a 2nd round pick on Tony Hollings, Clarrett should definitely be worthy of a 2nd round pick.

The Spaz
02-05-2004, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by TheGhostofJimKelly
I just read somewhere that the Bears are very interested in Clarrett and might even use a 2nd round pick on him. If Houston wasted a 2nd round pick on Tony Hollings, Clarrett should definitely be worthy of a 2nd round pick.

Why because Clarett had one good year?

ryjam282
02-05-2004, 09:53 AM
That is pretty shocking news. I thought the NFL was unbeatable. I think this will ultimately hurt the NFL cause it will water down things, guys will have one great year and come out and find out that they suck at the NFL level and should have stayed in school 2 more years. It will water things down like it does for baseball and basketball. It is a shame, but we all knew eventually it would come to this. Maybe this will become my next article, I am so against this.

ryjam282
02-05-2004, 09:56 AM
Hopefully the owners will black ball him and all just agree to pass on him to set a standard so others don't follow....

Besides, he didn't even have 1 good year. He had some good games but that nerve damage in his shoulder sidelined him for a few games and who wants damaged goods? (Maybe Donahoe does, like McGahee) :):lol!:

helmetguy
02-05-2004, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by ryjam282

Besides, he didn't even have 1 good year. He had some good games but that nerve damage in his shoulder sidelined him for a few games and who wants damaged goods? (Maybe Donahoe does, like McGahee) :):lol!:

Watch your language, Mister! Can we have a TOS ruling on this? I think the suggestion is offensive!

ryjam282
02-05-2004, 10:03 AM
Don't get me wrong, I love McGahee, I am a huge Hurricanes fan and love the guy. I just think Clarett is being greedy and nowhere near good enough to play in the NFL right now. Maybe in a few years, but not now. McGahee is more then ready, and will dominate...

helmetguy
02-05-2004, 10:14 AM
Oh, I gotcha. I just can't stomach even the remote possibility of Clarett in a Bills uniform. Hopefully, the courts will issue a temporary injunction-pending the league's appeal, and he'll have to wait a year.

ryjam282
02-05-2004, 10:20 AM
I hope so too. I hope the NFL can appeal it and maybe draw it out over a year or so so this doesn't happen.

TheGhostofJimKelly
02-05-2004, 10:23 AM
With the 13th pick in the draft, The Buffalo Bills select out of the Ohio State..........
just kidding

Michael82
02-05-2004, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by lordofgun
The owners should collude and keep him out. :up:

I would LOVE to see that! :snicker: The NFL knows that this will hurt them in the long run and it sets a TERRIBLE precedent! I'd love the NFL to low ball him and have him be UNDRAFTED! :evil:

Michael82
02-05-2004, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by ryjam282
That is pretty shocking news. I thought the NFL was unbeatable. I think this will ultimately hurt the NFL cause it will water down things, guys will have one great year and come out and find out that they suck at the NFL level and should have stayed in school 2 more years. It will water things down like it does for baseball and basketball. It is a shame, but we all knew eventually it would come to this. Maybe this will become my next article, I am so against this.

I totally AGREE with you and I am very upset with this. Everyone has seen what this does to the NBA and MLB....imagine how bad it could make the NFL. :mad:

Michael82
02-05-2004, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by Ebenezer
Amazing..if the NFL loses on this one it will open up the flood gates...they'll be drafting kids out of high school next...

What is antitrust about telling a kid he has to be removed 3 years from his high school to "work at his job"...he has alternatives...he can play arena ball, cfl, etc....

oh well, courts screw things up again.

That's what I was wondering. What the hell does this have to do with Anti trust? Clarrett could join an AFL team or even the CFL. It's a bunch of Bull ****, IMO and it really pisses me off. You are now going to see college teams begin to suffer and then the NFL will be forced to draft kids out of HS and they will get beat up and sit on the bench for a couple years. This is a bunch of BS and I hope Clarrett knows what he started! I hope the NFL is sooo pissed at him that they tell him to take a hike. :snicker:

helmetguy
02-05-2004, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by Mike32282
I would LOVE to see that! :snicker: The NFL knows that this will hurt them in the long run and it sets a TERRIBLE precedent! I'd love the NFL to low ball him and have him be UNDRAFTED! :evil:

As long as there is an Al Davis around, the NFL could never pull off this kind of thing for very long. Some owner, desparate for a marketing tool, will buck the trend and draft a guy, just to pump up ticket sales/hype. Besides, the NFLPA would weigh in on collusion, just as the MLBPA did years ago.

The basis for Clarett's victory stems from the USFL v. NFL Anti-trust case. In that one, the court found that the NFL was, indeed, a monopoly. In Clarett's case, with the NFL being a monopoly, the age restriction supposedly represents a restraint of trade. I don't like it, but that's where the law comes from.

Michael82
02-05-2004, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by helmetguy
As long as there is an Al Davis around, the NFL could never pull off this kind of thing for very long. Some owner, desparate for a marketing tool, will buck the trend and draft a guy, just to pump up ticket sales/hype. Besides, the NFLPA would weigh in on collusion, just as the MLBPA did years ago.

The basis for Clarett's victory stems from the USFL v. NFL Anti-trust case. In that one, the court found that the NFL was, indeed, a monopoly. In Clarett's case, with the NFL being a monopoly, the age restriction supposedly represents a restraint of trade. I don't like it, but that's where the law comes from.

I blame the judge! If it was a male, this would not have happened. She thinks that the NBA,MLB and the NHL have good things going on with bringing in those young kids. Apparently, she doesn't realize how this will destroy college football teams and the NFL. :mad:

Ebenezer
02-05-2004, 11:07 AM
[BIf it was a male, this would not have happened. [/B]

Don't paint with that brush..the NFL has a terrible record in court and most of the decisions have been made by men.

Michael82
02-05-2004, 11:08 AM
Don't paint with that brush..the NFL has a terrible record in court and most of the decisions have been made by men.

I wondered who would reply first. :snicker:

Maybe the NFL should have just let Clarrett in, so it didn't go to trial and all this didn't go down.

Ebenezer
02-05-2004, 11:13 AM
I wondered who would reply first. :snicker:

Maybe the NFL should have just let Clarrett in, so it didn't go to trial and all this didn't go down.

Personally, collude to have somebody pick him in the 5th round...then put him on the practice squad...where he labors for 2 years...then cut his ass.

don137
02-05-2004, 11:18 AM

Personally, collude to have somebody pick him in the 5th round...then put him on the practice squad...where he labors for 2 years...then cut his ass.

Good idea, but one problem with your theory. Your assuming Clarrett won't be suspended and banned by the league for some violation by then...

Devin
02-05-2004, 11:20 AM
Yeah this is really horrible, one of the reason im such a devout NFL fan is we are the only league who doesnt draft teenagers.

This is horrible.

Ebenezer
02-05-2004, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by don137
Good idea, but one problem with your theory. Your assuming Clarrett won't be suspended and banned by the league for some violation by then...

IIRC, he didn't do anything that would be against NFL rules...he'd have to get busted legally first.

Stewie
02-05-2004, 11:21 AM
Preventing Clarett from playing in the NFL *is* an antitrust violation. If the kid (or any other) is talented enough to play, he should be allowed to play. Just because he could go play in the CFL or anywhere else doesn't make it okay for the NFL to discriminate.

This is not going to ruin the NFL. This isn't MLB or the NBA. The majority of 18 year olds will not be able to physically handle the NFL. The only thing that may change is that 18 year olds in development will be occupying roster spots 45-53 instead of 30 year old scrubs who will never see the field anyway.

Ebenezer
02-05-2004, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Devin
Yeah this is really horrible, one of the reason im such a devout NFL fan is we are the only league who doesnt draft teenagers.

This is horrible.

Maybe if the NFL promises no more halftime shows with Janet Jackson in exchange for not drafting kids.

Ebenezer
02-05-2004, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by paulB
Preventing Clarett from playing in the NFL *is* an antitrust violation. If the kid (or any other) is talented enough to play, he should be allowed to play. Just because he could go play in the CFL or anywhere else doesn't make it okay for the NFL to discriminate.

This is not going to ruin the NFL. This isn't MLB or the NBA. The majority of 18 year olds will not be able to physically handle the NFL. The only thing that may change is that 18 year olds in development will be occupying roster spots 45-53 instead of 30 year old scrubs who will never see the field anyway.

Microsoft doesn't have to hire anybody they don't want...they are other computer companies...why should the NFL have to hire who they want...there are other football leagues.

Michael82
02-05-2004, 11:24 AM

Great idea! :up:

Originally posted by don137

That's true! Clarrett is the kind of idiot that would probably do something like the cell phone incident or something else to piss the NFL off.

Michael82
02-05-2004, 11:31 AM
Here's what I was wondering....

Let's say you go to apply for a job, and they deny you because you didn't have enough schooling. You had a Bachelors degree. They wanted someone with a Masters. You are denied the job because you haven't gone far enough in school. How is this different from the current NFL rule? It's their league. Shouldn't they be able to allow who they want in and deny who they don't? :feedback:

helmetguy
02-05-2004, 11:51 AM
What the Judge is saying is that the NFL is the only game in town. That is, there is no other comparable marketplace for Clarett to shop his services. Key word "comparable." She also agreed with Clarett's arguement that the age rule was arbitrarily set, and that a player's ability to perform at that level can not be determined solely from the age criterion.

Bert102176
02-05-2004, 11:58 AM
BuffaloBillsSTAMPEDE I agree without a doubt besides with him in the draft someone really good will slip and it could be us the player slips to with some team drafting Clarett

SoCalBillsFan
02-05-2004, 12:15 PM
This could ruin college football. I hate this.

Michael82
02-05-2004, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by SoCalBillsFan
This could ruin college football. I hate this.

I totally agree! Look how greedy the college football players are now....just imagine if they know they can jump to the NFL and make money now. It will ruin the NCAA, IMO. :shakeno:

Stewie
02-05-2004, 12:24 PM

Microsoft doesn't have to hire anybody they don't want...they are other computer companies...why should the NFL have to hire who they want...there are other football leagues.

You just proved my point. Microsoft doesn't have to hire anyone they don't want to hire. Neither does the NFL.

However, Microsoft does have to equally consider *everyone* who wishes to work for microsoft (based on age/rage/gender etc). Then they make their decision based on talents.

In the same regard, the NFL does have to equally consider *everyone* who wishes to enter the draft. Then teams make their decision based on talents. No one is forcing the NFL to hire anybody.

Stewie
02-05-2004, 12:28 PM
Here's what I was wondering....

Let's say you go to apply for a job, and they deny you because you didn't have enough schooling. You had a Bachelors degree. They wanted someone with a Masters. You are denied the job because you haven't gone far enough in school. How is this different from the current NFL rule? It's their league. Shouldn't they be able to allow who they want in and deny who they don't? :feedback:

What the NFL is doing is age discrimination. In your example, the employer chooses based on talent.

If the employer in your example said "Well, you have a masters, but we were really hoping for a ________" It would be illegal if the blank was: 30 year old/woman/white person.... etc.

Bottom line is age/race/sex discrimination is illegal, as it should be.

Ebenezer
02-05-2004, 12:28 PM
You just proved my point. Microsoft doesn't have to hire anyone they don't want to hire. Neither does the NFL.

However, Microsoft does have to equally consider *everyone* who wishes to work for microsoft (based on age/rage/gender etc). Then they make their decision based on talents.

In the same regard, the NFL does have to equally consider *everyone* who wishes to enter the draft. Then teams make their decision based on talents. No one is forcing the NFL to hire anybody.

then why will they get sued if nobody drafts him?

Stewie
02-05-2004, 12:31 PM

then why will they get sued if nobody drafts him?

The NFL *may* get sued because

1. The owners colluded not to draft him
2. His lawyers like to be in the spotlight
3. He realizes how badly he screwed up and needs a lawsuit to try and make some money

Ingtar33
02-05-2004, 12:39 PM
early drafting has ruined the NBA

it works for the NHL and MLB because they have a minor league system.

however, i don't think you should worry much, there is a huge difference between a 7ft tall phenom beating up on HS b-ball players and going to the NBA, verses a 300 pound 18 year old D-lineman dominating against HS offensive lineman.

No team in the NFL would touch a highschooler. It will, however, hurt college ball something seriously, as very talented sophomores or even freshmen will opt out, for pro-ball. And while i think the NFL will be loath to draft a true freshman, i can see how it might happen.

I hope they appeal and win... but i won't hold my breath

ryjam282
02-05-2004, 12:56 PM
Baseball does have the minors but it is still very watered down cause of all the kids that try to make the jump. I know not many HS players will try it for football but you never know what will happen in the future. Eventually there will be a LeBron type football player in HS as well.

SoCalBillsFan
02-05-2004, 01:08 PM
IT doesn't matter if high schoolers try it. College football teams will lose their best players after a year or two. The NFL will begin to draft players on "potential" like the NBA. Guys will sit the bench for years while they develop. The guys that stay in college will look better than they are because of watered down talent. There will be SO many busts in the NFL draft.

Paul, the NFL is a private organization. They should be able to discriminate by age if they want to. If all they need to do is *consider* all applicants, than they should reject claretts application when he files for the NFL draft.

don137
02-05-2004, 01:20 PM
The NFL uses college football as its minor league system. You take that away and you get inferior talent. The NFL was trying to use it as a training ground to get experience for the young players. It's kind of like the real worldwhen a posting asked for someone with "X" years experience or a certain degree or certification because you need the experience to perform the job at a certain level.

Moulds80
02-05-2004, 01:25 PM
I say you draft Clarette and let Ray Lewis take a few whacks at him...we'll see how developed he is when he is plantde 4 feet into theg round :snicker:

elltrain22
02-05-2004, 01:47 PM
Clarette will never be effective if he doesn't get some more experience at the college level. He could become good, but the chances are slim to none, and what a shame of such a gifted player.

Stewie
02-05-2004, 02:17 PM

Paul, the NFL is a private organization. They should be able to discriminate by age if they want to. If all they need to do is *consider* all applicants, than they should reject claretts application when he files for the NFL draft.

So by that logic, other privately held business should be able to discriminate too? I don't think so... Especially businesses (like the NFL) that gladly accept public financing.

Ebenezer
02-05-2004, 02:25 PM
Especially businesses (like the NFL) that gladly accept public financing.

What gov't money does the NFL receive?

Earthquake Enyart
02-05-2004, 03:15 PM
They could probably circumvent this by coming up with a clever labor agreement with the player's union. Say a player can play at 18 for an apprentice's wages until he is 20.

SoCalBillsFan
02-05-2004, 03:32 PM

So by that logic, other privately held business should be able to discriminate too? I don't think so... Especially businesses (like the NFL) that gladly accept public financing.

Yes, private businesses can refuse to hire people because of lack of experience. Ensuring someone goes througha three year grad program or college program is fine there, it should be for the NFL too.

Michael82
02-05-2004, 03:50 PM
Yes, private businesses can refuse to hire people because of lack of experience. Ensuring someone goes througha three year grad program or college program is fine there, it should be for the NFL too.

I totally agree! :bf1:

SABURZFAN
02-05-2004, 06:15 PM
i wouldn't draft clarett unless we're on our last pick in the draft and he's on the board.we don't need him but i'd take him in the 7th round.

Stewie
02-05-2004, 06:24 PM

What gov't money does the NFL receive?

Millions of dollars for stadiums

Stewie
02-05-2004, 06:25 PM

Businesses can refuse for lack of experience. They cannot refuse employment for age reasons, which is basically what the NFL was trying to do by imposing the 3 years since high school or whatever the rule was.

helmetguy
02-05-2004, 06:32 PM
Millions of dollars for stadiums
They're still owned by the city/county/state regardless of whether the team is there or not. No government subsidies go to any franchise.

bdogg
02-05-2004, 06:45 PM
What has this guy actually done, Ohio State srewed Miami in the fiesta bowl. He hasnt proven himself to anybody. When was the last time he actually played!

SoCalBillsFan
02-05-2004, 06:55 PM
Money for stadiums doesn' go to the team, it goes to the stadums owned by the city. The city owns the stadiu, and te team leases it.

It's not an age requirement. It is an experience requirement-3 years required for enough body development, skill development, etc. Similar to a business.

ShadowHawk7
02-05-2004, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by TheGhostofJimKelly
With the 13th pick in the draft, The Buffalo Bills select out of the Ohio State..........
just kidding

WILL SMITH!!!!!! hehe, no? :jk:

london59
02-05-2004, 10:21 PM
We should take him in the 1st round. We could use some help at RB. (Sarcasm!)

:hang:

The Natrix
02-05-2004, 11:12 PM
I hope the Bills draft him. Since the team is set at RB, he should be the obvious choice at #13.

Dozerdog
02-05-2004, 11:52 PM
I totally AGREE with you and I am very upset with this. Everyone has seen what this does to the NBA and MLB....imagine how bad it could make the NFL. :mad:

Upset? Geesh Mike- take a pill and relax. It's a football player- not your dog dying

Great idea! :up:

That's true! Clarrett is the kind of idiot that would probably do something like the cell phone incident or something else to piss the NFL off.

Interesting observation.... has he ever pulled somethoing like that on the field before? What is your basis for that?

The Spaz
02-06-2004, 12:09 AM
Yeah I don't see the skill positions as being aproblem as much as the trench type of players O-linemen and D-linemen. No way are these kids bodies ready for that kind of abuse and pinishment.

BADTHINGSMAN
02-06-2004, 12:43 AM
I dont think this Clarett thing will screw the NFL or college ball up.. If a kid wants to come out of HS and play football why shouldnt he?? That kid will learn that it was a mistake to do so.. The NFL is more demanding then NBA and MLB.. Youve heard college kids say that they cant believe the speed difference between college and the NFL.. College ball gets these guys ready for the big time..

The MLB and NBA run at one speed.. There is not much difference between college baseball and basketball then MLB or NBA..

In Clarretts defense if he selected in the draft then its not Clarett who would suposedly screw up the NFL, it would be the team that selects him in the draft..Im not a big Clarrett fan, I think he plays smartly and should play another year of college before entering the draft...

SoCalBillsFan
02-06-2004, 02:23 AM
Originally posted by silent_one
If a kid wants to come out of HS and play football why shouldnt he?? That kid will learn that it was a mistake to do so..

Yeah, but college football will miss out on the talented kid, and the kid may never develop like he would have if he had gotten significant playing time in college.

Stewie
02-06-2004, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by helmetguy

They're still owned by the city/county/state regardless of whether the team is there or not. No government subsidies go to any franchise.

I agree. However, the NFL would not have a product without these publicly financed stadiums. In my mind, that means the NFL gets public money.

helmetguy
02-06-2004, 09:19 AM
Yeah, but college football will miss out on the talented kid, and the kid may never develop like he would have if he had gotten significant playing time in college.

College football will do just fine, even if these kids jump. In the end, it'll be the kid's decision whether he wants to try for the brass ring immediately, or hone his skills to enhance his chances for success. I still say the only reason Clarrett even considered leaving school this early is that he found out he actually had to be a student, too. The more I see about this guy, he looks like a kid who thinks he's entitled to anything he wants, just because of his talent, without having to pay his dues. He may be pretty good, but not THAT good.