High Schoolers and Underclassmen get March 1st Deadline....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Michael82
    • Jul 2002

High Schoolers and Underclassmen get March 1st Deadline....

The NFL set a March 1 deadline for high school players and newly eligible college underclassmen to apply for this year's draft.

A day after a federal judge struck down the league's rule limiting the draft to players at least three years out of high school, the NFL issued new rules Friday to comply with the decision.

Newly eligible players must obtain an eligibility form from the NFL, and completed forms must be received by the league by March 1.

The deadline does not apply to players previously eligible to apply for the draft, who had a Jan. 15 deadline.

Players who became eligible because of Thursday's decision in the case of Ohio State sensation Maurice Clarett must apply for the draft by Feb. 15 to be considered for invitations to the scouting combine, which starts Feb. 18 in Indianapolis.

• The Spaz
    • Mar 2003

Yeah they want to end there careers already!

Comment

• Michael82
      • Jul 2002

Well, we knew this was going to happen. The big question is....

Who will declare? Anyone want WR Mike Williams? I think he's ready and would get drafted pretty high. Any Freshman or Sophomores that you guys would want?

Comment

• The Spaz
        • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Mike32282
        Well, we knew this was going to happen. The big question is....

Who will declare? Anyone want WR Mike Williams? I think he's ready and would get drafted pretty high. Any Freshman or Sophomores that you guys would want?
        I posted this in another thread I think that the skill position players might be ok but the o-linemen and D-linemen are sure going to have problems if they go pro right out of High School or after their Freshmen year in College.

Comment

• Michael82
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by The Spaz
          Yeah they want to end there careers already!
          Do you think any seniors from High School will be entering in the draft? What about College Freshmen or Sophomores? Personally, I see a bunch of Sophomores joining.

Comment

• The Spaz
            • Mar 2003

Do you think any seniors from High School will be entering in the draft? What about College Freshmen or Sophomores? Personally, I see a bunch of Sophomores joining.
            Well the High Schoolers are eligible to enter as well, but i don't think any will. I am totally against this so if any do declare I don't want the Bills to pick any!

Comment

• Michael82
              • Jul 2002

Well the High Schoolers are eligible to enter as well, but i don't think any will. I am totally against this so if any do declare I don't want the Bills to pick any!
              I am totally against this, but I would LOVE the Bills to draft WR Mike Williams from USC!

Comment

• Michael82
                • Jul 2002

BTW...what high schoolers are eligible? I thought it was only seniors that are graduating in june that are eligible? Why would they allow people to drop school and join the NFL legally? That makes ZERO sense.

Comment

• The Spaz
                  • Mar 2003

I am totally against this, but I would LOVE the Bills to draft WR Mike Williams from USC!
                  Well I could make an exception for if we drafted him in a decent round.

Comment

• The Spaz
                    • Mar 2003

BTW...what high schoolers are eligible? I thought it was only seniors that are graduating in june that are eligible? Why would they allow people to drop school and join the NFL legally? That makes ZERO sense.
                    I beleive that they had to have graduated from High School.

Comment

• Michael82
                      • Jul 2002

Well I could make an exception for if we drafted him in a decent round.
                      I knew you would.

Do you think Marcus Vick might declare? Any other big names?

Comment

• The Spaz
                        • Mar 2003

I knew you would.

Do you think Marcus Vick might declare? Any other big names?
                        Just say NO to Marcus Vick especially if he is found guilty. I will ahve to do some research to find some other players I would concider.

Comment

• Dozerdog
                          In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
                          • Jul 2002

That's somewhat hypocritical-

I'm against robbing thre cradle, but I'd love to bag Hillary Duff
                          According to the article- age is not a factor - so apparently anyone. Unless state or Federal lawmakers jump in with child labor laws to protect any minors, then any HS athlete is fair game.

The judge left a lot to interpertation and this ruling will be challenged-

In her 71-page opinion, Scheindlin declared the rule violated antitrust laws and proposed alternatives.

"Age is obviously a poor proxy for NFL-readiness, as is a restriction based solely on height and weight," she wrote. "Medical examinations and tests are available to measure an individual player's maturity. The league could easily use those tests to screen out players who are not prepared to play in the NFL. ...

"By requiring draft prospects to submit to these examinations, the league could provide valuable information about player maturity to its teams and allow them to decide whether a prospect is worth selecting."

Looks like a combination of physical and mental tests can be used to exclude players.

Comment

• The Spaz
                            • Mar 2003

In my opinion it's 71 pages of BS!

Comment

• The Spaz
                              • Mar 2003

OMFG so what there sayign if your in 9th grade you can enter the NFL Draft? That's just sick!

Comment

Working...
                              X