• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
    All-Pro Zoner
    • Jan 2004

Howard Simon

Will WGR listeners be hearing what Simon says?

2/7/2004

By ALAN PERGAMENT

This is what I'm thinking:
    • The end of January came without a word about Adelphia's impending sale of sports station WNSA. The expectation is that Entercom, the owner of sports talk rival WGR, soon will be the top bidder. It is the favorite but that doesn't mean it necessarily wins. Anyone in bankruptcy court when the bids are opened can try to outbid the high bidder.

If Entercom becomes the owner of WNSA, it most likely will end the sports talk format and leave the field to WGR. That will lead to an interesting personnel dilemma for Greg Ried, who runs WGR.

In the most recent Arbitron ratings for Sept. 15 through Dec. 15, WNSA afternoon man Howard Simon defeated WGR's team of Mike Schopp and Chris (The Bulldog) Parker by a significant margin in the all-important age 25 to 49 and age 25 to 54 male demographics. Simon does have the advantage of having his show simulcast on the Empire Sports Network. He could become a free agent once WNSA is sold, making one wonder if Ried would hire him and shuffle his staff. There should be a place on radio for the most popular local sports talk host in town. WGR is the worst radio station in town I can't even get a good reception where I live and I can't stand Schoop and the Bulldog.

http://buffalonews.com/editorial/20040207/3053795.asp
  • BuffaloSkyMaster
    • Nov 2003

What about the Sabres????

Wow, I really hope that doesn't happen. I really enjoy WNSA because I live in Pittsburgh and like to listen to local sports on the net. WGR stopped brodcasting on the net I believe. Also, what will happen to the Sabres broadcasts on the radio. Maybe the high bidder will obtain the rights. I just hope whoever wins will broadcast on the net.

WNSA
    I finally realize why so many kids from Western PA grow up to become great NFL football players.....Because they want to LEAVE THIS DUMP!!!!!!!!! Steelers SUCK!!!

Comment

• BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
      All-Pro Zoner
      • Jan 2004

Trust me you don't want the SABRES on WGR55 it's AM and you get static and buzzing on your radio so you can't listen to the game clearly.

Comment

• don137
        • Jul 2002

I agree that it does suck to lose WNSA over the internet. With my job I am able to work from home a few days a week and it was cool putting on WNSA and listen while I work. Now with the demise of WNSA pretty much imminent it will suck not having a Buffalo sports station to listen to.
        Charlotte sports radio sucks. It is all NASCAR and college sports. In fact the afternoon guy said on the air the Friday before NFL wildcard weekend which the Panthers hosted Dallas that if he had to pick only one football game to watch this weekend it would be LSU vs. Oklahoma.

Comment

• shelby
          The Vanilla *****
          • Jul 2002

NASCAR! Wooooohoooooo!!

Comment

• don137
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by shelby
            NASCAR! Wooooohoooooo!!

Comment

• shelby
              The Vanilla *****
              • Jul 2002

Comment

• Billsouth
                • Jul 2002

does this also mean no more empire sports network on the satellite?
                "once a raider always a raider"

Comment

• 35Pete
                  • Mar 2003

I live in Ft Lauderdale and watch Simon on satellite via Directv. I hope the show sticks around. It makes me feel like I am in Buffalo again!

Comment

• Ebenezer
                    Give me a minute...
                    • Jul 2002

Simon on WGR will be fine...now all WGR has to do is improve their signal so I can get them before 7:30 AM...right here in Orchard Park

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• TheGhostofJimKelly
                      • May 2003

I can't listen to AM radio at work because it doesn't come in so I am forced to listen to WNSA. I can't get GR in my office and I am like 500 ft. away from their studio!!!

Comment

• Michael82
                        • Jul 2002

I'd be fine with this. WGR should be smart and take the 107.7 station and broadcast their shows on both stations. 107.7 comes in easily in Rochester. WGR 550AM doesn't! WNSA also has the internet feed, WGR doesn't. Maybe WGR will use that stuff from WNSA to help themselves.

Comment

• clumping platelets

It will be a sad day

I prefer WNSA/Empire

Comment

• Michael82
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by clumping platelets
                            It will be a sad day

I prefer WNSA/Empire
                            Me too! WGR55 is way too much Anti-Bledsoe, Anti-Donahoe, and hell it seems like everytime I listen, they are Anti-Bills. I thought it would change with the Coach leaving, but it hasn't.

Comment

• Pride
                              • Jul 2002

BillsZone should buy it!

haha

Comment

Working...
                              X