PDA

View Full Version : Brunell to Skins?

ryguy8161
02-07-2004, 04:18 PM
ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=1729627)

I guess this knocks out the hopes of any Bills fan wanting to replace Bledsoe with Brunell.

hintexas
02-07-2004, 04:45 PM
This seems like a good deal for both teams if the Redskins do end up trading a 2nd round pick for him

Tatonka
02-07-2004, 05:47 PM
at least he wont be going to the fish.. that is great news.

hintexas
02-07-2004, 06:27 PM
I also think this eliminates one more team from choosing a Qb in the first 2 rounds. Buffalo should be able to get a good QB in the 2nd round due to teams choosing other positions of need

BillsFever
02-07-2004, 06:27 PM
To bad we couldn't get Ramsey from the Redskins.

don137
02-07-2004, 06:44 PM
I wonder if Ramsey will be traded or be the back-up to Brunell. If Ramsey is to be traded what do you think he is worth? Personally, I think he is worth a second round pick...

BillsFever
02-07-2004, 06:54 PM
I'd give up a 2nd round pick for Ramsey.

The_Philster
02-07-2004, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by BillsFever
I'd give up a 2nd round pick for Ramsey.

same here..cause I was hoping we'd draft him before the Skins picked him up

helmetguy
02-07-2004, 07:40 PM
Brunell to the 'Skins could also indicate that they want to give Ramsey a little more time to develop; kinda giving him a chance to catch his breath after all that Fun 'n' Gun stuff. Who knows?

As far as Brunell, it didn't look like he was ever in our sights in the first place. We know what Bledsoe is capable of, and his biggest liability is already corrected...we ditched Gilbride.

The Natrix
02-07-2004, 07:46 PM
Ramsey would be a nice pick up in the sense he has a couple years under his belt so he could step in mid-season if Bledsoe blows goats (most likely) whereas a rookie would almost certainly struggle. Also, being 24, he could be a long term solution as well.

But, I would rather pass on him for a second (third I would do) because:

1. I think there are QBs that could be had in the second with more <I>potential</I>.

2. Having him be able to step in mid-season wouldn't be enough to get this team to the playoffs anyway.

The Natrix
02-07-2004, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by helmetguy
Brunell to the 'Skins could also indicate that they want to give Ramsey a little more time to develop

I wouldn't say it is a forgone conclusion that Brunnell starts. After sitting out much of the year and not getting any younger, he definitely has to prove himself again.

I think they will most likely keep Ramsey on board. If they don't, they will have to draft a QB, just like the Bills would if they brought Brunnell in.

Novacane
02-07-2004, 07:58 PM
I don't understand this move by the Redskins unless they are giving up on Ramsey. He performed well despite Surrier giving him no protection.

I'd give up a 2nd for Ramsey

Novacane
02-07-2004, 08:00 PM
I agree with Tatonka that this is good news. I did not want to see Brunell in Miami.

helmetguy
02-07-2004, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by The Natrix
I wouldn't say it is a forgone conclusion that Brunnell starts. After sitting out much of the year and not getting any younger, he definitely has to prove himself again.

Good point. I was thinking the same thing-seconds after I had already submitted the last post! I can envision situations where Brunell might come in out of the bull pen if Ramsey struggles, on the one hand. On the other, I can see Brunell starting early on, until Ramsey gets his feet under him again.

Even if Brunell went to Miami, it's doubtful that he would be anywhere close to being that one last piece they were missing. Just the same, I'm glad he's not going there. I'd rather see Miami get stuck having to start Rosenfels.

Novacane
02-07-2004, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by helmetguy

I'd rather see Miami get stuck having to start Rosenfels.

With the Bills luck he will be another Tom Brady

User Manuel
02-08-2004, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by ryguy8161
ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&amp;id=1729627)

I guess this knocks out the hopes of any Bills fan wanting to replace Bledsoe with Brunell.

I'll take Ramsey off of Washingtons hands though, if the price is right.

Mr. Cynical
02-09-2004, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by ryguy8161
ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&amp;id=1729627)

Yeah, this news took the wheels right off my Brunell Bandwagon. :(

IMO he would have been perfect for the Bills. Drop Drew and free up all that $$$ ($6-$8?) and get a couple of very nice FAs to fill our critical needs, e.g., WR, DE.

And until a future qb is drafted, Brunell would be a much safer bet for MM/TC given his style as compared to Drew's. He's alot more accurate and alot more mobile, which are two things that can make a "not quite gelled OL" look good. ;)

And lets face it.... If Brady and Delhomme are in the super bowl I think we can all agree that it was because of the coach and the system, not their great ability. So by association, if we think MM is that kind of coach, then what we really need is a WELL BALANCED OFFENSE THAT DOESN'T MAKE MISTAKES. Look at Brunnell and Bledsoe. Who do you think fits into that type of offense better? If you look at the stats of each qb over time you'll see the answer.

But crap. It's moot because of those stinkin skins. If we don't somehow either:

a) Transfrom Drew into something he's NEVER been before, e.g., throw short, high % passes; have good pocket presence to avoid sacks/fumbles

or

b) Draft a great rookie who can step in a la Marino

My prediction is that we'll miss the playoffs again with a 6-10 record where we win those 6 on defense and a few big plays on offense.

Valerie
02-09-2004, 07:58 AM
I just heard something on the news this morning about this. I believe Mark Brunell is coming into town today to check things out. I'm surprised. I thought Patrick Ramsey was a decent quarterback and Tim Hasselback was a good back-up. I can't believe the Skins are going to go out and get another quarterback. I wonder who they'll drop if they do get Brunell.

The_Philster
02-09-2004, 03:05 PM
More than likely, I'd say they'll have Brunell and Ramsey fight it out for the starters job and Hasselbeck will be at #3.

eyedog
02-09-2004, 03:16 PM
Agreed, that is exactly were Bills fans want Brunell. Out of conference, out of Miami, and we don't have to play Wash again for a couple of years.

Bert102176
02-09-2004, 04:11 PM
hell if we could trade our 13 for both of the Patriots 1st round picks then trade the #32 pick to the Redskins for Ramsey which I have always liked and I was so hoping we could have drafted him, it's just a thought, but I highly doubt they would trade Ramsey.

NorthernVA BIllsfan
02-09-2004, 07:32 PM
No way Brunell becomes a Deadskin, Gibbs already stated that he is perfectly happy with Ramsey. And we thought Rob Johnson took a beating a few years ago, Ramsey's nickname should be tackling dummy.

The Spaz
02-09-2004, 07:33 PM
If that was true then why was he meeting with Brunell today?

NorthernVA BIllsfan
02-09-2004, 07:42 PM
Because Ramsey has a VERY good chance of being injured behind this OL and Hasselback is not the answer.

The Spaz
02-09-2004, 07:43 PM
You just said Brunell would never be a Redskin?:dizzy:

HenryRules
02-09-2004, 08:32 PM
No HC is going to go into the offseason and say something like, "Our QB sucks. If we start the season with him, we might as well save our fans and the other team the trip and just forfeit."

Valerie
02-10-2004, 09:00 AM
According to the local news, Joe Gibbs went to Florida to meet with Mark Brunell.

Gibbs's pursuit of Brunell appears to be more of an indication of the coach's comfort zone with veteran quarterbacks than any flaws with Ramsey. After watching film of the Redskins' 2003 season, Gibbs praised Ramsey for his strong arm, toughness and smarts. Last year's coaches gave Ramsey one of the best grades among Redskins players, a B-plus, said a Redskins source.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A27140-2004Feb9.html

Throne Logic
02-10-2004, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by NorthernVA BIllsfan
Because Ramsey has a VERY good chance of being injured behind this OL and Hasselback is not the answer.

You know, Hasselbeck had some pretty amazing moments in those few games he played this past year. He dropped and darted some passes into WR hands that were fairly well covered. I don't care what his rating and stats were for the season. I'd be interested in seeing how he'd do with a real NFL offense at this stage of his career. Maybe he's one of those late bloomers.

If Brunell winds up in Skinland, Hasselbeck might be had for real cheap (like a 7th rounder or a couple hundred bucks). I think he might make a solid backup, if nothing else. Based upon some of the things I saw from Tim last season, I'd kind of like to see what Sam could do with him.

Michael82
02-10-2004, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Throne Logic
You know, Hasselbeck had some pretty amazing moments in those few games he played this past year. He dropped and darted some passes into WR hands that were fairly well covered. I don't care what his rating and stats were for the season. I'd be interested in seeing how he'd do with a real NFL offense at this stage of his career. Maybe he's one of those late bloomers.

If Brunell winds up in Skinland, Hasselbeck might be had for real cheap (like a 7th rounder or a couple hundred bucks). I think he might make a solid backup, if nothing else. Based upon some of the things I saw from Tim last season, I'd kind of like to see what Sam could do with him.

It would be interesting to see Hasselbeck come back to Buffalo. I wonder if he'd do it. :scratch:

eyedog
02-10-2004, 12:48 PM
Tim Hasslebeck stinks and we don't need him in Buffalo. If his brother would like to come from Seattle than he is welcome.

Valerie
02-10-2004, 01:47 PM
When Tim played for the Skins, it was his first time ever playing in the NFL. You can't expect him to come out and be a pro and make incredible plays. As usual, I don't think the Skins give anyone a fair shot.

eyedog
02-10-2004, 02:41 PM
Tim hasslebeck has been in Green Bay's and Buffalo's camps that I know of off the top of my head. I watched him last year in Washington and his arm strength stinks. He is a very limited qb. He's nothing more than a marginal NFL backup. We can find plenty of those types for the Bills. They need a young big time talent to develop and it is coming in the next couple of months.
I want Henson.

tampabay25690
02-10-2004, 03:17 PM
Now honestly guys would we really wanna get a high paid QB again like Bledsoe. I remember the 1st year Bledsoe came to Buffalo, WOW, DREW of old. When I was still living in Buffalo all they talked about last year was having his head. I feel for Drew the COACHING was awful last year and I am so excited about the bills this year. Actually most of you had the best idea in getting Ramsey instead. That would be the logical thing to do for the bills.
Actually I dont think it would be a terrible idea to talk with Cleveland about possibly Couch or Holcomb in Buffalo to learn a year behind Bledsoe. Just a long shot!!!!!!

GO BILLS!!!!!!

elltrain22
02-10-2004, 05:16 PM
If we get another qb, i would rather draft a qb, and build upon the future, rather than get a guy who already has rust.

Mr. Cynical
02-11-2004, 01:45 AM
Wonder if there is more flux to the Brunell-Skins deal than originally thought. Man I hope so. If that deal falls through, then I still say grab him, dump Drew and draft a young prospect. Best combination available IMO.