PDA

View Full Version : What If Henson is picked before Eli & Ben

london59
02-08-2004, 07:22 AM
Kinda funny actually but I just read this article and this quote from longtime NFL quarterbacks coach and offensive assistant Larry Kennan who is tutoring and training Henson:

"There's no question in my mind that people are going to fall in love with him when they see him in person. There's also no doubt in my mind that he'll be the first or second pick in the draft, and I don't care who the competition is."

Here is the link to the story

http://www.jsonline.com/packer/prev/jan04/203705.asp

Jeff1220
02-08-2004, 07:41 AM
From that quote, it sounds like he's also Henson's agent.

hintexas
02-08-2004, 10:18 AM
I am suprprised this guy didn't say something like Henson will be ready by the start of the season he will be rookie of the year and he will be starting in the Pro Bowl.

Expansion Blues
02-08-2004, 10:26 AM
Sorry to break it to you guys but Henson will not hit the draft. He has too much value and wants the sign and trade.

Henson will not enter the draft, so your Bills, Green Bay or anyone else will not have to worry about taking him. I have heard several interviews as he has been here in Houston with his buddy Bennie Joppru. He prefers the sign and trade option if you listen to his interview on ESPN (http://espnradio.espn.go.com/espnradio/story?storyId=1728693) as opposed to the draft.

*He won't sign till March and he will count against the 2004 Rookie pool, not 2003

*He only needs to sign a one year contract that is complex, backloaded and has comparable money to what he would get if he stayed in the draft. --per Casserly on his radio show

*Henson admits to not having an absolute favorite team. He likes the fact that he will be "selling" himself to NFL teams in the Feb 12 Workout in Houston (listen to interview if the link still works). However he sure seemed to like Green Bay and also said that it would be "ironic" if he went to play for the Giants.

*Henson says his strengths are his athletic abilities. He can run, throw on the run and has a cannon for an arm. He is working out with Eli Manning right now and says there is nothing Manning can do that he can't do.

"I'm excited," Henson said. "This is like a job interview. They're trying to sell their team to me and I'm trying to sell them on what I can do."

The goal for Henson, his agent and the Texans is to find a suitor before the draft and hammer out a deal. Henson could go back into the draft pool Apr. 24 but he'd like to try to have a say in his destination first.

"It is complicated," Henson said. "That's for my agent and the possible team to try to figure out. I hope it gets done just from the fact it gives me a chance to somewhat pick where I go and try to get into a system.

"This part, the looking into a trade, will happen first. If everything works out and I can into a team and an offense in March and get into their off-season program, it gives me three more months of prep before going into next season."
Texans.com (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/index.cfm?cont_id=228217)

Mr. Miyagi
02-08-2004, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by Expansion Blues
said that it would be "ironic" if he went to play for the Giants.

What's the irony? I don't get it. :huh:

Expansion Blues
02-08-2004, 10:48 AM
Because he would still be in New York....where he failed as a MLB player.

don137
02-08-2004, 11:30 AM
Henson scares me because he doesn't have a lot of game day experience. Rob Johnson can look like an all-star on the practice field so I wouldn't put a lot of value in his 'try-out'. Henson's value IMO is not worth a second round pick because of his lack of game time expeience and other quality picks out there. I hope we don't get him...

I would love it if someone took ahead of Eli or Ben because that would mean a better pick would be available at #13.

Tatonka
02-08-2004, 01:53 PM
if he was in the draft and went ahead of eli and ben.. i think that someones personell department deserves to be drawn and quartered.

SABURZFAN
02-08-2004, 02:47 PM
i seriously doubt henson gets drafted ahead of either one.then again,nobody expected the Jets to take lageman that one year.

socalfan
02-08-2004, 03:22 PM
You guys are getting absolutely crazy. There is no way he'll be drafted before Ben and Eli.

User Manuel
02-08-2004, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by don137
Henson scares me because he doesn't have a lot of game day experience. Rob Johnson can look like an all-star on the practice field so I wouldn't put a lot of value in his 'try-out'. Henson's value IMO is not worth a second round pick because of his lack of game time expeience and other quality picks out there. I hope we don't get him...

I would love it if someone took ahead of Eli or Ben because that would mean a better pick would be available at #13.

John Elway scared alot of people too. His Yankee experience turned out wel.

User Manuel
02-08-2004, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by SABURZFAN
i seriously doubt henson gets drafted ahead of either one.then again,nobody expected the Jets to take lageman that one year.

I loved the Jets for that.

That was the first time I think the Draft day TV crew was REALLY scared, they thought there was gonna be a lynching.

lordofgun
02-08-2004, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Expansion Blues
Sorry to break it to you guys but Henson will not hit the draft. He has too much value and wants the sign and trade.

Henson will not enter the draft, so your Bills, Green Bay or anyone else will not have to worry about taking him. I have heard several interviews as he has been here in Houston with his buddy Bennie Joppru. He prefers the sign and trade option if you listen to his interview on ESPN (http://espnradio.espn.go.com/espnradio/story?storyId=1728693) as opposed to the draft.

*He won't sign till March and he will count against the 2004 Rookie pool, not 2003

*He only needs to sign a one year contract that is complex, backloaded and has comparable money to what he would get if he stayed in the draft. --per Casserly on his radio show

*Henson admits to not having an absolute favorite team. He likes the fact that he will be "selling" himself to NFL teams in the Feb 12 Workout in Houston (listen to interview if the link still works). However he sure seemed to like Green Bay and also said that it would be "ironic" if he went to play for the Giants.

*Henson says his strengths are his athletic abilities. He can run, throw on the run and has a cannon for an arm. He is working out with Eli Manning right now and says there is nothing Manning can do that he can't do.

Texans.com (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/index.cfm?cont_id=228217)

Sounds like you guys are trading the wrong QB. :snicker:

Novacane
02-08-2004, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by lordofgun
Sounds like you guys are trading the wrong QB. :snicker:

My thoughts exactly. If Henson is as great as the Texans make him out to be then they should trade Carr. There is no way Henson is going before Eli or Ben or even Rivers IMO.

TheGhostofJimKelly
02-09-2004, 06:42 AM
Originally posted by Jeff1220
From that quote, it sounds like he's also Henson's agent.

What are you talking about? An agent trying to dupe NFL teams, no way!!!!

He will get 1,000 yards
He will be rookie of the year
He will make the Pro Bowl

TigerJ
02-09-2004, 07:24 AM
I agree with Expansion. Drew Henson is unlikely to go back into the draft. He may not have a single team he wants to go to, but he may have at least a short list of teams he'd rather not go to. Working out a trade deal gives him at least some control to avoid going to a team he doesn't like. The draft is his bargaining chip, however to actually go back in the draft would be to trust your career to a crap shoot. If you don't have to you won't want to.

Kennan has rocks in his head. All he can measure are Henson's physical characteristics. He can't judge how Henson would actually play in live game conditions because he can't simulate that. Roethlisberger has all the measurables that Henson has plus he played a full slate of games this past season. Manning isn't far behind in terms of his measurables, and played a full slate of games in a big time program. The fact that they played a full season last season outweighs any measurables Kennan could ever come up with. The New York Yankees though Henson was going to become a star baseball player. He had all the measurables. Unfortunately he stunk. Kennan is thinking with his behind, where his wallet is.

At least McGahee's agent could base his attempted con on some real information. No, he wasn't going to be ready at the start of the '03 season. I don't think TD ever believed he would, but we knew that healthy he is a great back, and we knew that the medical indications were all that the surgery was successful and he stood a very good chance of full recovery.