• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jeff1220
    H to the 12:20
    • Jul 2002

The difference between 6-10 and 10-6

The difference between a 6-10 season and a 10-6 season in '03-'04 was only 11 points.

That's the total amount that the Bills were outscored by in the 4 games versus the Cowboys, Texans, Colts and Titans.

This is even more interesting when you consider that 3 of those 4 teams were in the playoffs. This team found ways to lose the close ones. Let's hope this coaching staff changes that mindset.

I don't think it's out of the question to win right away with the new staff.
  • ScottLawrence
    • Jan 2004

Bad teams find ways to lose.....

We just didn't have to offense last year to get us those extra points needed to win the games.....

If we dont make playoffs next year Donahoe should get the AXE.
    You're right, I am a coward! I haven't any courage at all. I even scare myself.

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
      Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

Originally posted by ScottLawrence
      They signed MM to a 5 year deal. I would think he should get a bit of latitude. If we go 8-8 or better next season, I think we're on the right track. Making the playoffs would be a big plus but I don't think it's fair to expect it on the first year with a new coaching staff.

BTW, Scott!!

Comment

• ScottLawrence
        • Jan 2004

Thanks for the welcoming but the staff hasn't changed much..... its just on the offensive side of the ball.

We aren't changing systems on the defense or anything like that so we SHOULD make the playoffs next year and thats what I expect.

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
          Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

We have pretty much all new coaches on the offense. They'll be learning a new, though simpler, system and everytime you do that there's a learning curve. I hope we go the playoffs as much as the next guy does, but I wouldn't say off with TD's head if they don't right away, as long as there's obvious improvement on the O.

Comment

• helmetguy
            Touch the helmet for luck
            • Sep 2002

Bad teams find ways to lose.....

We just didn't have to offense last year to get us those extra points needed to win the games.....

Poor decision making on the part of GW and KG went a long way toward turning wins into losses. So did not taking advantage of what a defense was vulnerable to (as in not running the ball against KC until KC already had a commanding lead). It's difficult to truely evaluate this offense based solely on the past season and a half; more aptly, the past season alone. I have said many times that Kevin Gilbride stuck to a scheme and a theory, paying scant attention to who was expected to put the theory into practice. Say all you want about how damaging to Gilbride's scheme the loss of Peerless Price was. Much more damaging was the loss of Larry Centers. Centers was much better suited as the hot read in blitz situations than is a Sam Gash. However, in the Gilbride scheme, the position of FB was all that he was concerned with, not whether the player filling that position was capable of executing what the scheme required. Had the situation been reversed, that is, had the Bills actually reverted to a true power running offense (as GW had envisioned) Centers would have been as ill suited as a lead blocker as Gash was to be a receiver.

If, as Jeff aptly indicated, the difference between 6-10 and 10-6 was a measly twelve points, then this team is a lot closer to playoff caliber than what we saw this past season.
            Someone said "What's he gonna turn out like?" Ha!
            And someone else said "Never mind!"

-Deep Purple

"Have you ever taken a crap so big your pants fit better?"--Ron White

Comment

• ScottLawrence
              • Jan 2004

Your right Mayagi but many teams learning a new system have got to the playoffs and even won the superbowl....

the 2002 Tampa Bay Buccaners won it with Jon Gruden who was implying a new offensive system.

If there is good improvement in the team then yes we shouldn't jump on him.

Comment

• The_Philster
                • Jul 2002

I doubt the system will change that much. Mularkey ran Gilbride's system in Pittsburgh but cut down on the reads that Kordella had to make. That, combined with some simpler terminology, made for a quick transition.
                The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
                  Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

Originally posted by The_Philster
                  some simpler terminology, made for a quick transition.
                  I can just see it.

"Everybody go deep, expect for you Josh, run straight then turn left. Drew, throw deep, unless they're not open, then throw it to Josh.

Think you monkies can handle that?"

Comment

• caveboy
                    • Oct 2003

"Much more damaging was the loss of Larry Centers. Centers was much better suited as the hot read in blitz situations than is a Sam Gash."

Thank you. Check please. I think people forget Centers broke his receiving record under Bledsoe. Centers was the key check-of man for Drew, far more than Henry was. Countless times this year I watched Henry wave frantically for Drew in the flat, only to have Drew go downfield unsuccessfully. (As much as I hated KG, that's not a co-ordinator's fault, that's a QB making a bad read and throwing into tight coverage).

I don't think Henry and Drew are on the same page. I would like Gash to resume duties as lead blocker for Henry. He did the same for Jamal Lewis and was successful.

Problem was we just didn't see commitment for any length of time to the run. Henry says he's a back that needs 20-25 just to warm up, but if KG only game plans him for 15-20 voer the course of three quarters, how can you develop any rythm? Gilbride went away from the run so many times after trying it MAYBE 1 or 2 times out of a series. "Oh, Travis got tackled, guess we better stop running."

**** head.
                    "Your job is to protect your quarterback – me."

Comment

• Jeff1220
                      H to the 12:20
                      • Jul 2002

I also just realized that most of those games were played with key injuries to the OL (which wasn't so good to begin with). Jonas and M.Williams both missed time in that stretch.

Comment

• Ebenezer
                        Give me a minute...
                        • Jul 2002

The difference between 6-10 and 10-6??

Gregg Williams and Kevin Gilbride.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• BADTHINGSMAN
                          • Oct 2002

I was at the Texans @ Bills game, I heard over the PA system that Mike Williams was in a car accident on his way to the Stadium. Even without Big Mike out Buffalo should have won that game, thats when Lindell missed 2 FG within 40 yards..

Comment

• HenryRules
                            • Jul 2002

I couldn't agree more with you. Considering that right now, we're one of only 10 teams to not make the playoffs during TD's reign - it'd be reasonable to assume that if we miss the playoffs this year - there'd be only 7 or 8 teams that hadn't made the playoffs during the 4 years - that's pathetic.

Donahoe would also have an individual string of his last 6 teams missing the playoffs - I don't understand how he is worshipped by Bills fans, but Drew's record is a cause for criticism (I'm not saying that Drew shouldn't get blamed - I'm just curious as to why Donahoe never gets any blame for his team's failures considering that he actually assembles them).
                            Last edited by HenryRules; 02-08-2004, 10:41 PM.

Comment

• helmetguy
                              Touch the helmet for luck
                              • Sep 2002

TD's biggest mistake was GW, and he has owned up to it publicly. Sure, a GM assembles the talent, but don't think for one minute he makes his personnel decisions in a vacuum. Although TD was responsible for hiring GW, it still fell to GW and his staff to put the players in the best possible situations to perform their jobs at an optimum level. If a guy like Pucillo isn't performing, it is up to the coaching staff to figure out why and correct it. If the HC says he wants to operate a more physical offense, and the GM brings in a guy like Sam Gash to help accomplish that, it is up to the coaching staff to take advantage of those special qualities, rather than force him into situations ill suited for his talents and expect him succeed. That's like having a foreman bringing a CPA down to the production floor and expecting him to run the turret lathe.

The point here is, how much blame should TD have to shoulder? Yes, the GW hire failed, and he's now gone. Is it Ralph Wilson's fault, too? And what should be done about that? As frustrating as these last couple of years have been, let's put the blame where it really belonged and move on. Nobody is worshipping TD here, but I can tell you, there are plenty of scenarios that are considerably worse. We could have Billy Bidwill as on owner, or Matt Millen as the GM.
                              Someone said "What's he gonna turn out like?" Ha!
                              And someone else said "Never mind!"

-Deep Purple

"Have you ever taken a crap so big your pants fit better?"--Ron White

Comment

Working...
                              X