PDA

View Full Version : Antowain Smith a FA/Centers hasn't decided if he is retiring yet...

Ickybaluky
02-08-2004, 09:22 PM
The Pats declined to pick up the $500K option on Smith's contract today. I am not certain if a renegotiation was worked out, but it looks like the bonus being declined makes him a free agent.

He still could end up back in NE with a new contract, but it looks like he will be out there looking for a job.

Also, it looks like Larry Centers retirement reports have been premature. This article quotes Centers as saying the following:

There have been reports that Centers would be retiring. Centers said he would like to take time to think about his future and hasn't made up his mind.
"I can't say," he said. "Right now I'm a champion."

Here is the link:

http://www.southcoasttoday.com/daily/02-04/02-04-04/c01sp273.htm

If he wants to keep playing, I could see the Pats' bringing Centers back another season.

Ickybaluky
02-08-2004, 09:28 PM
Here is official word of Smith's option being declined:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=patriotsasmith&prov=st&type=lgns

The Spaz
02-08-2004, 09:28 PM
Thanks for the Patriots news.

BADTHINGSMAN
02-08-2004, 10:18 PM
Now I could see the Patriots making a trade for Bengals RB Corey Dillon..

hintexas
02-08-2004, 11:04 PM
New England can trade any of the 2nd round or 1st round picks they have and pick up Dillon. Boy I hpe that doesn't happen

The Spaz
02-08-2004, 11:08 PM
NE doesn't take the self centered type players

london59
02-09-2004, 12:03 AM
I think NE will be targeting a RB early on the first day of the draft.

BADTHINGSMAN
02-09-2004, 02:00 AM
Originally posted by The Spaz
NE doesn't take the self centered type players

They would take a player who wants to win.. Dillon wants to win, and the Bengals would probably trade Dillon for a 1st and 2nd rounder.. Then the Bengals could trade down for a player they want..

Ickybaluky
02-09-2004, 06:24 AM
Reportedly, the Bengals would be willing to take a 2nd, and will settle for a 3rd, for Dillon. Remember, he is on the wrong side of 30 and has some mileage, baggage and a large contract. That hurts his value.

I think the Bengals ultimately release Dillon. Teams will show more interest at that point, because they can negotiate a new deal with him.

I don't think the Pats will be interested, but you never know.

mybills
02-09-2004, 06:38 AM
Originally posted by The Spaz
Thanks for the Patriots news.

Yeah!
Shouldn't this be in the 'NFL News & Discussion' forum?

don137
02-09-2004, 07:13 AM
I read somewhere that teams are waiting for Dillon to be cut rather than try to work a trade for him...There are plenty of good RB's available in the draft and you have to think NE will grab one of them with one of there two first round picks...