PDA

View Full Version : Check out this great article from Gregg Easterbrook on Maurice Clarett!

Michael82
02-09-2004, 11:16 AM
Why shouldn't a 19-year-old be allowed to be an airline pilot--how dare the airlines keep 19-year-olds out of the cockpit? Numerous professions require minimum age, possession of degrees or minimum years of training experience for entry. Judges don't order airlines to allow 19-year-olds at the controls, even though age and experience rules clearly place restraints on the bargaining power of 19-year-old aspiring pilots. But then--judges fly on planes, so they don't want them to crash. Federal judge Shira Scheindlin, who yesterday ordered the NFL draft open to anyone regardless of age, knows that if the NFL crashes that won't affect her.

Scheindlin's poorly reasoned order will be appealed, but if it somehow ends up standing, she will accomplish a trifecta: she'll harm pro football, she'll harm college football, and she'll screw over huge numbers of young athletes, most of them African American. Quite a day's work!

CLICK HERE and scroll down to 02.06.04 for the rest of the article (http://www.tnr.com/easterbrook.mhtml)

Pride
02-09-2004, 12:53 PM
Great article!

The Spaz
02-09-2004, 12:56 PM
How in the hell she actually approved it in the first place in beyond me!?:dizzy:

Pride
02-09-2004, 01:10 PM
I know... what was she thinking? Plenty of professions require an age limit or other limitations.

Hell you have to be 35 and born in the US to be the president of the USA.

I think someone should fight that ruling. We need an 18 year old in the white house!

Michael82
02-09-2004, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Pride
I know... what was she thinking? Plenty of professions require an age limit or other limitations.

Hell you have to be 35 and born in the US to be the president of the USA.

I think someone should fight that ruling. We need an 18 year old in the white house!

INSERT Bush joke here. :snicker: