• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DraftBoy
    Administrator
    • Jul 2002

The RB situation

Many of you ar torn about who should be the feature back, I personally like Henry for the rest of this season but not after. In fact I will be dissapointed if one of our current RB's is still starting next season. We need to get a new guy, preferably through the draft. plenty of good RB's this year. Just gotta get a speed guy, in my opinion, since the Defense will already be playing back to protect against the pass.
    COMING SOON...
    Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!
  • JefftheBillsfan
    • Jul 2002

i need to see the rest of the season before i make a decision on henry.
    Its all about the quest.

Comment

• Pride
      • Jul 2002

I want to see us not playing catch up before I make my opinion on Henry. I think he can be the feature back and get 25-30 carries a game. But it is very hard when he only gets 10-15 carries a game to get into a rhythm.

When Drew and Company can put up a quick 14, Then we can see what Henry can do to churn out the yards and cut down the clock.

Henry is not marshal faulk, and that is fine. I would rather have a bruiser in BLo, when the snow starts falling, I would rather have him than Marshall on my team.

Comment

• ArcticWildMan

Pride hit the nail on the head. We need to establish a lead in a game and then let Henry run all over a team. Until our defense starts shutting down opposing teams, we are not going to be able to play ball control offense with Henry.

Comment

• Wys Guy
          Drew and Sam stole all my hair
          • Jul 2002

Here's a question for those of you who don't seem to want to see that Bryson gets a fair shot at having a few games to see what he can do. Let's see if you can actually answer the question w/o retorts at how I love Rob Johnson or some other completely unrelated and distorted nonsense.

I'll throw up a number, say that 2 of 10 of you will actually answer the question, which is a perfectly valid one, properly.

Now let's see. Here's the question:

It's hypothetical, so do bear that in mind. Don't have heart palpitations or anything. Ready....? It's pretty easy, but you may have to read it two or three times. OK then, here we go....

Q: Let's suppose, just suppose now, that Bryson were to start several games. Let's say that for the sake of argument, it was the first 4 games after the bye week against the Jets, Miami, N.E., and K.C. And let's suppose he actually performed better than Henry. Fewer fumbles/carry, more yards-per-carry on average, more able to run consistently by usually actually gaining more than 1 or 2 yards or getting negative yards, and that he say averaged 90 YPG and didn't have a bad game in the bunch. (BTW: a 90 avg. over the season would be 1,440 yards over the course of 16 games)

Here's the question part; how many of you would then say he should be the starter from here on out this season? Secondly, a two parter, how many of you would then say that he deserves a shot at the starting position next season too?

That's a VERY legitimate question. Again, it is hypothetical. Secondly, that does not say anywhere in there that we should not make any moves towards acquiring another RB either via the draft or by FAcy. So don't read into it. Just answer the question straight up.

Let's see what we get back from this. I have a hunch this is gonna be the typical "Politician's Ball ala the Travis Love-Fest" aura that exists around here. Nevertheless, the question is on the table.

Replace Donahoe with Modrak and fire the entire coaching staff!

Then let's go to Disneyworld!

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• Wys Guy
            Drew and Sam stole all my hair
            • Jul 2002

"Pride hit the nail on the head. We need to establish a lead in a game and then let Henry run all over a team. Until our defense starts shutting down opposing teams, we are not going to be able to play ball control offense with Henry."

W/ our D it's highly unlikely that we're gonna be able to run Henry to preserve the lead anyway. Henry's current track record suggests that he usually only gains a yard or two or even negative yards. So how on earth are we gonna "run to play ball control" if we're constantly going 3 and out or having to rely on Drew to put up a 1st down on 3rd and 8 all the time.

Sure, Henry will have a big run every 10 or 15 plays. But he can't be counted on, apparently, to get 4 or 5 yards consistently. That's they type of runner you need to do that. He isn't it, at least not based on the way he's running now. Why is that concept so difficult for everyone to understand.

FACT: on 11 carries on which the team needed 5 yards or less, Henry only got a first down on 5 of them. That's not exactly great. In the last game against the Raiders, out of 16 carries according to the PBP on nfl.com, five of his carries were for negative yards or no gain. Another 7 were for only 1 or 2 yards. Two more were for 3 yards, one of which should have been for about 15 if Henry could have seen the hole that was right in front of him. One of those 3-yard carries was on 1st and 10, the second on 2nd and 5.

He only had three runs worth anything.

You can play up that TD run on 1st and 2, but the fact is that I'm sure anyone of the backs on our team could have gotten that or Drew could have thrown it. It would have meant a little more considering Henry's record if he could do that on 3rd and 2 every now and again. Yet that seems to be a bit much for him.

We need a consistent between the tackles rusher more than we need a "big" (but never big enough) play every 10 or 15 carries. I dare say that Antowain would be more useful to Drew and the offense these days!
            Replace Donahoe with Modrak and fire the entire coaching staff!

Then let's go to Disneyworld!

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• WCoastFin
              I have the arms of a new born baby!
              • Jul 2002

Re: The RB situation

Originally posted by Winfield_26
              Many of you ar torn about who should be the feature back, I personally like Henry for the rest of this season but not after. In fact I will be dissapointed if one of our current RB's is still starting next season. We need to get a new guy, preferably through the draft. plenty of good RB's this year. Just gotta get a speed guy, in my opinion, since the Defense will already be playing back to protect against the pass.
              I told you guys about this decision last year.....but, noooooooo you guys didnt listen.....I said he was the sorriest RB in the division and he was going to get worse......and some of you made some ridiculous and hilarious replys like "He is going to be like Ricky Williams if not better." and started to post his rookie stats and compare them to Rickys Rokkie stats.....hahaha What a joke!
              We wanna see you spit now!!!lets face it we suck.

Comment

• BledsoeTOreedfor6
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Wys Guy

Q: Let's suppose, just suppose now, that Bryson were to start several games. Let's say that for the sake of argument, it was the first 4 games after the bye week against the Jets, Miami, N.E., and K.C. And let's suppose he actually performed better than Henry. Fewer fumbles/carry, more yards-per-carry on average, more able to run consistently by usually actually gaining more than 1 or 2 yards or getting negative yards, and that he say averaged 90 YPG and didn't have a bad game in the bunch. (BTW: a 90 avg. over the season would be 1,440 yards over the course of 16 games)

Here's the question part; how many of you would then say he should be the starter from here on out this season? Secondly, a two parter, how many of you would then say that he deserves a shot at the starting position next season too?

If this happend than of course Bryson should be the starter Wys.

First he's got to get on the field and with the coachs commitment to Henry that ain't gonna happen barring injury!

Comment

• casdhf
                  • Jul 2002

Wys + Shawn Bryson sittin in a tree
                  Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
                  cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• BledsoeTOreedfor6
                    • Jul 2002

.................k-i-s-s-i-n-g

Comment

• ArcticWildMan

Originally posted by casdhf
                      Wys + Shawn Bryson sittin in a tree

Originally posted by BledsoeTOreedfor6 .................k-i-s-s-i-n-g

Comment

• Winfield_26
                        Administrator
                        • Jul 2002

Here is your answer
                        A: Supposing that Bryson did avg 90 ypg, then yes I would give him the start in the 5th game but not the bulk of the carries, as Ive stated before I dont believe that bryson could hold up with 30-35 carries a game. I dont think Henry could do it either. I would love to see both get about 15 carries a game. Not going to happen though, but now for part 2 of my answer, in no way would I guarantee Bryson the starting job next season based on a good performance in 4 games. Especially since he plays only 1 tough D in Miami. NE, KC, and Jets can be run on. So his performance would need to be stretched out over a 10-12 game span of 80 ypg or so for me to even consider giving anyone the starting job for next year.
                        COMING SOON...
                        Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                        We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• John Doe
                          Florida Man
                          • Jul 2002

Suppose that Bryson showed more in practice than Henry. Then, he might actually get his chance to start.

Comment

• BigDoug
                            1-800-SAD-GOAT
                            • Jul 2002

If Bryson was all that, he would have been snapped up in a trade this year. Obviously, NFL GM's aren't as high on him for a reason...

Comment

• ArcticWildMan

IMO, trying to play Bryson as a tailback is a mistake. He would be the perfect replacement for Larry Centers at fullback when he retires. His speed would be deadly as a pass catching Fullback!

Comment

Working...
                              X