X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kelly The Dog
    • Jul 2002

Interesting GW quote on run game

Telling quote from Gregg Williams on the smallish number of running plays in the Raider game: "Many times we had a lot more runs called that we checked out of. Drew(Bledsoe) did a great job of that, and he's continued to do a great job of. Don't bang our head against the wall. He does a good job of putting it in our skilled guys hands in the receiving corp."

Now that I think of it, Drew did change a lot of plays at the line and they all seemed like passes. That's not to blame him because he should do it, whatever the defense gives him, but it does show perhaps Gilbride wasn't as pass happy or run-shy as a lot of people think.
  • quizlet2003
    Veteran Zoner
    • Sep 2002

AS LONG AS IT WORKS! Just thinking about it, he did do that a lot including the 45 yard bomb to price (or was that moulds) before the end of the half. He changed the play at the line!

Comment

• Wys Guy
      Drew and Sam stole all my hair
      • Jul 2002

It also shows that he doesn't have very much confidence that Henry can get it done. Wouldn't you say?

Drew is classy enough that he would never bust on Henry openly. Perhaps this is his way of suggesting that we have some issues. In any case, whether it is or isn't, that's exactly what it's doing.

Here's some proof:

Usually on 2nd or 3rd and short, and for sure on 1st and short, you dish the ball off to your RB, right? That is if he's reliable.

Here's what we did on all the short plays:

3rd and 1: PASS
      3rd and 2: PASS
      3rd and 5: PASS
      On that same drive, 1st and 6, ran Henry for -2 Yards!!!

1st and 2: PASS

2nd and 4: PASS

1st and 5/G: Centers run RG for TD

2nd and 5: Henry for 3

2nd and 2: PASS

3rd and 4: PASS, Bledsoe scramble and run off broken play

Henry ran on two runs to get a TD and a 1st down:

1st and G at the 2: TD
      2nd and 4 Henry gained 8 on one of his three decent runs all day.

Confidence issues???

If it looks like a duck, and swims like a duck, and quacks and acts like a duck, then it's a duck.

Why on earth would we pass on ALL of those plays if we had any confidence at all that we could gain a few yards rushing??

Between the fumbles and Henry's inability to get the tough yards, our rushing game is practically useless to Drew and the Offense as it now stands things unchanged!!!
      Replace Donahoe with Modrak and fire the entire coaching staff!

Then let's go to Disneyworld!

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• BledsoeTOreedfor6
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Wys Guy
        It also shows that he doesn't have very much confidence that Henry can get it done. Wouldn't you say?

No I would'nt say that. I would say that Drew saw they were in a stacked run defense so he changed to something that would work. I would say that shows he's smart!:hammeru:

Comment

• The_Philster
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by BledsoeTOreedfor6

No I would'nt say that. I would say that Drew saw they were in a stacked run defense so he changed to something that would work. I would say that shows he's smart!:hammeru:
          Exactly Calling audibles to get yourself out of a bad play based on what the defense is showing is something evry QB needs to be able to understand and do.
          The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• Kelly The Dog
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by BledsoeTOreedfor6

That's exactly what it shows. And wys conveniently forgets to acknowledge that instead of handing it off to Henry he passed to him seven times, and picked up an extra 47 yards, all short passes that Henry not only caught at or around the line of scrimmage but broke tackles and gained repeated yardage that disproves most of the distorted stats he spews.

Comment

• Kelly The Dog
              • Jul 2002

In fact, Drew threw passes to Henry, with only one being more than 5 yards past the line of scrimmage (which he caught 6 yards downfield and ran for 10 more), for the following runs:

screen for 0
              screen for 8
              dump for 6
              dump for 16
              screen for 8
              screen for 8
              screen for 1

Most of those plays are the equivalent of a handoff. Designed to get Henry the ball in short, quick, low risk passes to get him to run.

Comment

• BigDoug
                1-800-SAD-GOAT
                • Jul 2002

Wys, when a QB checks off & audibles a pass play instead of the running play that was called from the sidelines, it's not based on confidence in the runner, it's based on the formation that the D is showing. Running plays are designed for 5 yd gainers...anything beyond that is gravy. If the D is stacking LB's in run D mode & they've drawn the safetys up, then he'd be absolutely stupid, I repeat stupid NOT to check off & call a passing play designed to take advantage of that situation. Do the math...7 + yds on a pass play is better than -2 yds on a run play that has zero chance of success based on the formation the D is showing. Damn, I'm just a dumb former OT (Canadian to boot) & I can recognize when an audible needs to be called based on formation...what's your excuse ?

Turning this into a "I hate TH" rant yet again What a joke.
                Last edited by Ð; 10-12-2002, 02:49 PM.

Comment

• Wys Guy
                  Drew and Sam stole all my hair
                  • Jul 2002

You guys continue to crack me up.

Kelly, Henry isn't an indispensible part of our passing game. There must be 10 players on our team that catch the ball as effectively as Henry. To even suggest he's in there b/c he's our strongest option out of the backfield is plain silly.

And to the rest, we are supposed to assume that the Raiders, for most of the game apparently based on the times that Drew audibled, assuming that those plays above were all penciled in for Henry, which I'm sure is ridiculous, set up to stop our ferocious rushing game.

Oh yeah! I'm sure that's it!!!

I guess the Texans have been holed-up now for two weeks just trying to figure out how to hold Henry to only 25 yards instead of his customary 48 so that he isn't allowed to control the game the way he did v. the Raiders.

Better to allow Drew to throw for 400 and many TDs I suppose. Yeah, I'm sure that's what all the analysists who cover football and all the coaches around the league are saying.

At least you guys provide me w/ some humor!!!
                  Replace Donahoe with Modrak and fire the entire coaching staff!

Then let's go to Disneyworld!

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• Kelly The Dog
                    • Jul 2002

"Kelly, Henry isn't an indispensible part of our passing game. There must be 10 players on our team that catch the ball as effectively as Henry. To even suggest he's in there b/c he's our strongest option out of the backfield is plain silly."

I didnt suggest that at all, wys. I don't even know where you got the implication from. As usual, you don't respond to the post when it refutes your twisted theories. I was merely pointing out that you said Drew avoids calling Henry's number or checks out of running plays to call passes because he has no confidence in Henry. Which, of course, is foolish as I noted because he threw to him 7 times. And they werent down the field they were right at the line of scrimmage, just like running plays. And not only that but it dispels and refutes your Henry gets all his yards on one play and gets negative or 0 or 1 yard on all the others theory because he had 7 touches and got 0, 8, 6, 16, 8, 8 and 1 yard with all but one of them starting from behind the line of scrimmage.
                    Last edited by Kelly The Dog; 10-12-2002, 02:21 PM.

Comment

• BigDoug
                      1-800-SAD-GOAT
                      • Jul 2002

Wys, speaking of cracking up, I think your posts show you must be

The Raiders rush D is the best in the business this year. They stuffed Sean Alexander to 36 yds rushing, a back who is capable of 200 + yd rushing games. They stuffed Jerome Bettis to 41 yds. Eddie George 26 yds. Just a Heisman winner, rushing title winner, etc. etc. etc.

What'd "our boy" TH get? 58 stinkin' yds. HMMMMMMM!??!?!?!
                      I'd say he stacks up well against those other, clearly established NFL premier backs.

You act as if what TH does happens in a vacum...if you weren't suck a "homer" you'd look around the league & see what's going on. I'd say the only "vacum" going on here is the lack of practical football knowlege you demonstrate post after post after post after post......

Comment

• Kelly The Dog
                        • Jul 2002

Another in a seemingly endless series of great wys quotes: "we are supposed to assume that the Raiders, for most of the game apparently based on the times that Drew audibled, assuming that those plays above were all penciled in for Henry, which I'm sure is ridiculous, set up to stop our ferocious rushing game. "

Who do you THINK the rushing plays were called for? We run Larry Centers once every three games and Bryson didnt play.

Comment

• Andrea1234
                          • Oct 2002

very true and to the point

Comment

Working...
                          X