PDA

View Full Version : Pats have the most UFAs

Jeff1220
02-09-2004, 01:42 PM
According to ESPN.com: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs03/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=1725398
The two Super Bowl teams have the 1st and 2nd most Unrestricted Free Agents to sign during the offseason. The article gives a pretty good overview of the 17 players that the Panthers risk losing, but only says that New England has more.

Does anybody know who the Patriots might lose this offseason? Is it anybody of substance? I know Antwain Smith is now an UFA, but who else?

The Spaz
02-09-2004, 01:45 PM
That's why they acquired all those draft picks last year.

Jeff1220
02-09-2004, 01:51 PM
A team full of rookies doesn't do much good in the immediate future. That's why I'm curious about who they might lose.

Jeff1220
02-09-2004, 06:00 PM
I'll answer my own question now that I'm home (just in case anyone cares):

New England Patriots

UFA: S Chris Akins, TE Fred Baxter, S Je'Rod Cherry, RB Mike Cloud, C Mike Compton, LB Don Davis, RB Antwain Smith, RB Kevin Faulk, DE Bobby Hamilton, S Antwan Harris, QB Damon Huard, DT Rick Lyle, RB Patrick Pass, DE Anthony Pleasant, DT Ted Washington, C Damien Woody.

RFA: OG Russ Hochstein.

ESPN.com reported the Pats having >17 UFAs, so I might be missing one or two guys.

Do any of these guys leaving make a dent in that roster?

IMO, Mt.Washington and Woody are the biggest losses.

ShadowHawk7
02-09-2004, 07:26 PM
A. SMith, Woody, and Washington are the biggest losses, but other than that nothing much but perhaps youthful potential is lost, which is y they have all those draft picks. It's going to be another huge battle for the AFC East again...

Ickybaluky
02-09-2004, 08:11 PM
The Pats have 20 UFA:

QB Damon Huard - Backup QB likely to sign elsewhere, as he wants a chance to play.

RB Kevin Faulk - Pats have had discussions, but likely to hit the market. Quality 3rd down back and ST player, he wants to see if someone will offer him a job as a feature back. Barring that offer, he may re-sign with NE.

RB Mike Cloud - Suspended early in the season and inactive most of the stretch run and playoffs. Likely to test market, but could come back on 1-year deal if can't find another offer elsewhere.

RB Antowain Smith (Option declined) - Pats tried to work out a restructured contract with him, but failed. He still could be back, if he can't find a better offer on the free agent market, but Belichick sounded like he wasn't coming back.

FB Larry Centers - May retire, but says he hasn't decided yet. Possibly could return to NE on 1-year deal.

FB/RB Patrick Pass - Backup RB/FB-tweener and ST player. Don't think he will be invited back, but he will be in camp with someone next year. Nice guy and good hands, but doesn't have a regular position. Good ST guy and backup.

TE Fred Baxter - Vet signed to 1-Yr deal-likely to retire, but if not it is doubtful NE will invite him back.

WR Dedrick Ward - Could be invited to camp, but probably not.

WR J.J. Stokes - See Ward.

C Damien Woody - Pats haven't been able to agree on a contract extension with him, so he likely will hit the market. The Pats don't seem to want to pay him top money, so he probably will end up elsewhere.

OG Mike Compton - Vet spent year on IR and likely has lost job. However, position flexibility and leadership qualities may have him returning as a backup.

DE Bobby Hamilton - Underrated player, one of the Pats most consistent players. Quality lockerroom leader and smart vet. Pats are high on Ty Warren and likely will let Hamilton go, as there are a lot of teams that will be looking for a guy like him. A winner and great signing for some team, but I can't see him returning as a backup. You never know.

NT Ted Washington - Probably the guy the Pats most want to sign, but they may not want to pay him the money he is looking for. Says he wants to play 2-3 more years and is looking for a deal in that range.

DE Anthony Pleasant - Vet leader was inactive most of the season and will probably retire.

DE Rick Lyle - Vet inactive most of season. Doesn't want to retire, but may not be invited back. If Washington doesn't re-sign he may be brought to camp for depth.

OLB Don Davis - Vet ST-er on 1 Yr deal will not be back.

S/CB Antwan Harris - Probably the guy least likely to return. S/CB-tweener that has a lot of speed and is versatile, but plays soft. Nickname on the team is "Pudding".

S/ST Je'Rod Cherry - Vet ST'er finished year on IR. Has been on team for last 3 years because he is one of the best punt-gunners in the NFL and a good ST player. However, age may mean he won't be back. Quality character who has earned his Masters at Berkeley and is working towards his Doctorate.

S Chris Akins - Another great ST player and punt gunner who is adequate as a backup at SS (not a FS). Pats very much would like him back as he is an exceptional ST player.

LS Brian Kinchen - Signed due to injury late in season, retiring permanently.

kgun12
02-09-2004, 10:56 PM
Out of both lists I would like to see the Bills take a run at Damien Woody!

DraftBoy
02-10-2004, 07:52 AM
Woody, and Compton

Ebenezer
02-10-2004, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by NE39
The Pats have 20 UFA:

QB Damon Huard - Backup QB likely to sign elsewhere, as he wants a chance to play.

RB Kevin Faulk - Pats have had discussions, but likely to hit the market. Quality 3rd down back and ST player, he wants to see if someone will offer him a job as a feature back. Barring that offer, he may re-sign with NE.

RB Mike Cloud - Suspended early in the season and inactive most of the stretch run and playoffs. Likely to test market, but could come back on 1-year deal if can't find another offer elsewhere.

RB Antowain Smith (Option declined) - Pats tried to work out a restructured contract with him, but failed. He still could be back, if he can't find a better offer on the free agent market, but Belichick sounded like he wasn't coming back.

FB Larry Centers - May retire, but says he hasn't decided yet. Possibly could return to NE on 1-year deal.

FB/RB Patrick Pass - Backup RB/FB-tweener and ST player. Don't think he will be invited back, but he will be in camp with someone next year. Nice guy and good hands, but doesn't have a regular position. Good ST guy and backup.

TE Fred Baxter - Vet signed to 1-Yr deal-likely to retire, but if not it is doubtful NE will invite him back.

WR Dedrick Ward - Could be invited to camp, but probably not.

WR J.J. Stokes - See Ward.

C Damien Woody - Pats haven't been able to agree on a contract extension with him, so he likely will hit the market. The Pats don't seem to want to pay him top money, so he probably will end up elsewhere.

OG Mike Compton - Vet spent year on IR and likely has lost job. However, position flexibility and leadership qualities may have him returning as a backup.

DE Bobby Hamilton - Underrated player, one of the Pats most consistent players. Quality lockerroom leader and smart vet. Pats are high on Ty Warren and likely will let Hamilton go, as there are a lot of teams that will be looking for a guy like him. A winner and great signing for some team, but I can't see him returning as a backup. You never know.

NT Ted Washington - Probably the guy the Pats most want to sign, but they may not want to pay him the money he is looking for. Says he wants to play 2-3 more years and is looking for a deal in that range.

DE Anthony Pleasant - Vet leader was inactive most of the season and will probably retire.

DE Rick Lyle - Vet inactive most of season. Doesn't want to retire, but may not be invited back. If Washington doesn't re-sign he may be brought to camp for depth.

OLB Don Davis - Vet ST-er on 1 Yr deal will not be back.

S/CB Antwan Harris - Probably the guy least likely to return. S/CB-tweener that has a lot of speed and is versatile, but plays soft. Nickname on the team is "Pudding".

S/ST Je'Rod Cherry - Vet ST'er finished year on IR. Has been on team for last 3 years because he is one of the best punt-gunners in the NFL and a good ST player. However, age may mean he won't be back. Quality character who has earned his Masters at Berkeley and is working towards his Doctorate.

S Chris Akins - Another great ST player and punt gunner who is adequate as a backup at SS (not a FS). Pats very much would like him back as he is an exceptional ST player.

LS Brian Kinchen - Signed due to injury late in season, retiring permanently.

Speaking as a Bills fan the Pats could lose them all and not be affected. Yikes. Maybe Woody and Hamilton should be resigned but other than that...

DraftBoy
02-10-2004, 08:06 AM
Yea I know this sucks! As for the Panthers they already resigned Steve Smith so they are good to go next season too it appears.

Ickybaluky
02-10-2004, 09:05 AM
Woody is a very good player, but having a young, low-salary player like Koppen mitigates his loss a little. If he isn't re-signed, it is because they need to use their cap resources elsewhere and I can live with that. Still, his athleticism would be a loss.

Beyond that, Ted Washington would probably have the biggest effect. Big Ted may be getting old, but there just aren't many guys out there like him. As a run-down role player clogging the middle, he was huge for the Pats this year. I think he is the guy they will try hardest to keep.

Hamilton is a very underrated player and a guy who could help a lot of teams, but again having Ty Warren kind of offsets his loss. Nonetheless, he is a consistent guy who does a lot of the dirty work that goes unnoticed, and certainly losing him would hurt depth, which is the advantage the Pats have on most teams defensively.

Finally, the only other guy who I think they should make a push for is Akins. The guy is a phenomenal ST player, a difference-maker in that role. I hope they sign him to a long-term deal.

It would be nice if they could keep Faulk, Centers, Compton and Cherry, but they are more wants than needs as their loss wouldn't effect the team as much as the guys I mentioned above. They are good in their roles, though, if the price is right.

STAMPY
02-10-2004, 10:09 AM
i wanted steve smith

Ickybaluky
02-10-2004, 01:14 PM
Though Smith is a restricted FA and limited by the high tender likely to be placed on him, he hasn't yet signed a contract extension.

Bert102176
02-11-2004, 03:26 PM
plus Law may be released cause of cap problems