PDA

View Full Version : With Smith leaving NE, could Law be going also?

caveboy
02-09-2004, 09:48 PM
Little puzzled over Belisuck's moves. He lets Milloy go. Lets Smith go. Both guys were instrumental in getting them to the SB(s). Smith may have not beeen super productive for them, but without his runs, they don't win last Sunday. Maybe he has his eye on a new RB in the draft? If so, does this now mean that Law may not be as secure in NE? Law in the Bills secondary, something to think about.

Demon
02-10-2004, 06:55 AM
Yeah but almost anyone else they get at RB will be an upgrade for them so it won't be a huge loss. I don't think there is any way in the world they let go of Law.

ryjam282
02-10-2004, 07:21 AM
I agree with Demon, I would love us to have him but there is just no way he will be let go after the way he played this year.

TheGhostofJimKelly
02-10-2004, 08:51 AM
Looks like the Pats are going to look to draft a RB with one of those picks.

I had either read or heard a story that the Patriots have no plans to cut or restructure Laws contract for next year.

Ð
02-10-2004, 02:52 PM
Good move. Why hang on to a mediocre, high priced back. In the age of salary cap, it's not the talent you know, it's the talent you let go...

elltrain22
02-10-2004, 05:20 PM
I have a feeling the Pats will retain Ty Law. After the way he played this postseason how could they let him go?

HenryRules
02-10-2004, 05:24 PM
Their nickel back was a good young corner as well I think ... Samual or something like that.

They've also got Wilson in their secondary too ... damn, they're gonna be good for a while.

Ickybaluky
02-10-2004, 09:03 PM
If Law is to be released, it likely would be prior to FA. He has a sizeable roster bonus in his deal. The reports are that the Pats will keep him, even if they can't re-do his deal.

Quite frankly, it wouldn't surprise me if Law is cut. The Pats are very strict on keeping a player's value in line with his role. Granted, Law is one of the NFL's top CB, but it will be interesting to see how this plays out. I could see them having trouble restructuring his deal, given the Poston brothers represent him.

As pissed as I'd be if Law is cut, given how good he is, it is kind of hard to criticize the team if it comes to that. I was pissed when they cut Milloy too, and wondered if they knew what they were doing, but the way it worked out it is hard to criticize.

I do think the Pats will let some guys go to clear room, as they likely want to make some changes to their team. Troy Brown, Roman Phifer, David Patten, Willie McGinest and perhaps even Ted Johnson are all guys who will probably have their deals re-done or face the prospect of being let go. As much as those guys are players I admire, the Pats are very cold when it comes to making cap decisions. Their draft position and some good young players may lead them to make some hard decisions, and some quality older players will be let go.

Of course, they probably will add some guys as well. Charlie Garner is one guy out there who might interest in them. He voided out of his contract and will be a FA, and his speed, run skills and ability to catch the ball out of the backfield would make him a good fit for the Pats, and at 32 he probably has a couple years left. Signing Garner and drafting a young back would go a long way towards improving the Pats rushing attack.