1-800-SAD-GOAT
    • Jul 2002

Some NHL GM's want to stop goalies from handling the puck

GMs may put a leash on goalies
    Some don't want them handling puck

Other rule changes being considered

DAMIEN COX
    HOCKEY COLUMNIST

HENDERSON, NEV.—As a former professional goaltender, you'd think Ken Holland would have more sympathy for his masked brethren.

But the Detroit Red Wings executive is one NHL general manager who believes the time has come to rein in wandering goaltenders.

"It depends on what your philosophy is about goaltending," Holland said yesterday after the first day of these much-anticipated GM meetings. "To me, he's a puckstopper. When I played, I could handle the puck better than most guys and I could eliminate three or four scoring chances a game.

"Today, these guys can handle the puck like a defenceman. It's time to change what they can do out there."

Story
  • Sabre11
    • Aug 2002

"Four about an hour we went around the world," said NHL vice-president Colin Campbell.

What? Must be Canadien english and spelling.

Some groups talked about wider lines and adding an extra "passing" line above the faceoff circles in the defensive zones that would allow for longer, legal passes.

What the hell does this mean?

They talked about an extension of four-on-four play, perhaps for the final five minutes in the third period of tied games.

Please don't do this...Please.

D, what do you think about not allowing goalies to handle the puck? I think should not allow goalies to go behind the goal line. They can't go back there to freeze the puck. Just don't let them go back there at all.

Comment

• Ð
      1-800-SAD-GOAT
      • Jul 2002

Sorry, I don't think that's a good idea. Hockey's a two-way game, offense & defense and if the forwards can't adapt to the way the goalies play the puck now (by chipping & dangling with the proper weight on the puck so the goalies can't play it, or if they can, being in proper position on the boards to pick the goalie's pass off) then is it the fault of goalies ?

Believe it or not, the way goalies play the puck now benefits teams with fast defensemen who can get to the offensive blueline before the goalie can play the puck up the middle. Look at the way the Leafs & Devils play in the offensive zone...chipping/dangling in to beat the trap and good forechecking and cycling behind the net is what negates the goalie playing the puck, not some stupid rule change that allow the less-skilled teams to artificially catch up.

Comment

• Myers57
        Registered User and McLovin stunt double
        • Sep 2003

I have to disagree, the goalies playing the puck is another aspect of the game. Sometimes goalies make mistakes and allow goals by drifting out too far to play the puck, other times they benefit their team by setting up offensive opportunities by shooting it up the ice. This rule would take the goalies almost right out of the game and would make the game less interesting...

Besides, how else will the goalies score that odd empty net goal?

Comment

• The Spaz
          • Mar 2003

I say if the Goalies are going to handle the puck like any other player he should be able to get checked like any other player.

Comment

• Ð
            1-800-SAD-GOAT
            • Jul 2002

Yup, a good example is how Fleury gave the game away in the World Junior Championships.

Comment

• The Spaz
              • Mar 2003

Sounds good .

Comment

• Myers57
                • Sep 2003

Yea I agree with that Spaz...

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Jul 2002

I would love it if Martin Biron stopped handling the puck.

Comment

• pyrrhonist
                    • Sep 2003

The goalies playing the puck is the least of the league's worries. More important:

--Tag-up offsides
                    --Awarding of points for wins/losses/ties (I loathe the automatic 1 point for getting to OT)
                    --Salary management
                    --Goalie equipment size

Comment

• Myers57
                      • Sep 2003

Yes this should definetely be the least of their concerns for now...

Comment

• Ð
                        1-800-SAD-GOAT
                        • Jul 2002

Sabre 11, looks like you were in the room when they proposed not allowing the goalie to handle the puck behind the goal line.

This one won't fly. How would you like it if they banned interceptions for DB's or LB's in football because there was "not enough scoring."

Comment

• The Spaz
                          • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Ð
                          Sabre 11, looks like you were in the room when they proposed not allowing the goalie to handle the puck behind the goal line.

This one won't fly. How would you like it if they banned interceptions for DB's or LB's in football because there was "not enough scoring."
                          There is plenty of scoring in football and there trying to increase it in hockey hence the discussions about rule changes.

Comment

• Sabre11
                            • Aug 2002

Originally posted by Ð

Not onle was I in the room, I was the one who brought it up.:snicker2: Of course what will happen is that they won't let the goalie's come out, but the defensemen not chase the puck will just hook and grab the forechecking offensemen even more and the refs won't call it. It would be interesting to see the rule implemented and how it affects the game.

One rule that needs to be implemented is the rules that are already in the book. The clutching, grabbing, and interference that goes on in games. This has been talked to death but nothing gets fixed.

Comment

• Ð
                              1-800-SAD-GOAT
                              • Jul 2002

So, if the goalie can't handle the puck behind the goal line, how does he defend the wraparound ? Will he get a penalty if he reaches back to poke-check a player ? If implemented, they're going to leave those kind of calls up to the refs and you all know how that went in the past (see no goal).

What will happen is the refs will throw up their arms because that particular call is so subjective and then Bettboob will implement a circular crease that goes behind the net, similar to lacrosse. All this to support a rule change that is totally uneccessary in the first place.

This will cause problems in international hockey, if NHL goalies don't play the puck & then go to the Olympics or World Championships where they can, then that will give European goalies an edge.

Also, I would go out on a limb and say that allowing goalies to play the puck behind the goal line on a dump in prolongs defensemen's careers, because the goalie can get to the puck & set it up for him, rather than the defenseman having to take the inevitable hit on the boards from a forward coming in full out.

The goaltender position has evolved, however the coaching hasn't caught up with that evolution. The dump-in is now a skilled finesse/positioning play to avoid the goalie picking the dump-in off, rather than a big lug's game as it was in the past.

Also

Comment

Working...
                              X