PDA

View Full Version : new rule changes

realmendontwearteal
02-10-2004, 10:49 PM
What do you guys think of the new proposed rules for the NHL? Basically smaller pads for the goalie elimination of puck control by goalies a possiable shootout and 3 points for a regulation win and 2 for and ot win.

What do u guys think of the new rules that have been proposed?

JD
02-10-2004, 11:06 PM
It should be, win a game, get 3 points. Loose a game, loose 3 points.......ot win is 2, ot loss -2, tie is 1 point

SkateZilla
02-11-2004, 04:09 AM
the goalie pads wont get smaller,

goalies are arguing that the new hi tech composite sticks and all of that crap enable the shooter to placed harder more bone crushing shots,

if anything make the nets bigger, moved the nets back about 1.5 to 2 feet, and make the red line and blue lines thickers (AHL is testing that now)

take the Ref's Off the Ice, Put them in the stands with Binoculars for all I care.. its a conspiracy Im Sure, seeing when We are on the Penalty Kill the Ref/Linesman sit on teh Wall at the Blue Line, So if Say ZHitnik were to pelt one around on the glass it would hit fraser and stay in the blue line.. but when we are on a PP they dont sit on the wall......

shootouts would only help the teams with good goalies and players with dynamic one on one skills... i dont see Curtis Brown scoring on Brodeur on a Shootout anytime soon..... Connolly maybe, but not every team would like this... maybe a 5 min 4 on 4 first, then the shootout.

Myers57
02-11-2004, 10:30 AM
Eliminate two-line pass rule...

Enforce obstruction

Eliminate one ref and give the linesmen some more duties in the game

And I am 50 50 on 4 on 4 constant play

Demon
02-11-2004, 02:23 PM
-Keep 5v5
-Enforce obstruction, just like Afinogenov61 said before me.
-Smaller goalie pads (10 inches)
-Eliminate red line
-win should = 3pts, tie 1pt
-don't allow goalies to touch puck behind the goal

Ð
02-11-2004, 02:37 PM
LOL, it's like rearranging deck chairs on the Titantic

ticatfan
02-11-2004, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by SkateZilla

goalies are arguing that the new hi tech composite sticks and all of that crap enable the shooter to placed harder more bone crushing shots,

if anything make the nets bigger, moved the nets back about 1.5 to 2 feet, and make the red line and blue lines thickers (AHL is testing that now)

take the Ref's Off the Ice, Put them in the stands with Binoculars for all I care.. its a conspiracy Im Sure, seeing when We are on the Penalty Kill the Ref/Linesman sit on teh Wall at the Blue Line, So if Say ZHitnik were to pelt one around on the glass it would hit fraser and stay in the blue line.. but when we are on a PP they dont sit on the wall......

shootouts would only help the teams with good goalies and players with dynamic one on one skills... i dont see Curtis Brown scoring on Brodeur on a Shootout anytime soon..... Connolly maybe, but not every team would like this... maybe a 5 min 4 on 4 first, then the shootout. On the goalie point,tell that to the old goalies who stood in front of bobby hull's shots with hardly any equipment on.

Dozerdog
02-11-2004, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by SkateZilla

shootouts would only help the teams with good goalies and players with dynamic one on one skills... i dont see Curtis Brown scoring on Brodeur on a Shootout anytime soon..... Connolly maybe, but not every team would like this... maybe a 5 min 4 on 4 first, then the shootout.

Roll back the clock 15 years on equipment.

Use the smaller LEATHER equipment last used in the 1980's , use WOOD sticks, move the goals away from the end boards, if the rest of the world uses a rink 100 feet wide, then use it in the pro's. Shrink the neutral zone.

And most important- Call obstruction as well as the clutching and grabbing on the puck carrier!

Ð
02-11-2004, 04:24 PM
Dozer, they already moved the net forward from the end boards and it had the effect of shrinking the neutral zone in the smaller NHL rinks.

Smaller neutral zone = big advantage to trapping teams like the Wild, Devils, ducks, etc.

Dozerdog
02-11-2004, 04:29 PM
I meant move it back to wherever it was in the 1980's

SkateZilla
02-11-2004, 04:32 PM
to widen the ice surface would cost too much $$$ for some arenas will have to be severely modded. and some places cant afford it.

Ð
02-11-2004, 04:33 PM
Ad it means big $$$$ loss...you take out the most expensive rinkside seats

Dozerdog
02-11-2004, 04:41 PM
Well, at the current rate you are looking at a lot of rinks that don't sell half those pricey seats as it is- especially mid week.

No one wants to see a 1-1 tie. So row 4 becomes row 1. You remove 2% of your seats and sell 10-20% MORE TICKETS

Ð
02-11-2004, 04:44 PM
Those teams need to be contracted. Buh bye.

Dozerdog
02-11-2004, 05:01 PM
Think about it- they could sell MORE of these expensive seats.
Simple Geometry.

I haven't a clue how many seats it takes to ring an NHL rink. But for shIIITs and giggles, let's say it's 200. With a bigger, wider rink, it might take 220 seats to ring the rink, an increase of 10%

Just push the price structure up 4 friggin' rows. Whatever that seat costs, move the price tag back. That way, you lose 4 rows of the cheapest tickets , not the most expensive.

This isn't Rocket surgery.

Most Rinks are the newer onres, those are the easiest and most adaptable. If you have an older rink, Like The Long Island Colusium or Pittsburgh's Igloo- then widen it whatever it will allow. Back in the day Buffalo's Aud and Boston Garden were smaller than the norm.

Hell, If baseball can have "charming" odd shaped distinctive parks, why not hockey?

Ð
02-11-2004, 07:42 PM
Dozer, you hit the nail on the head. Push the cheap seats out in favour of the expensive seats. That's exactly what's wrong with the NHL right now...not scoring, or the size of the goalie's pads, but affordability To go to an NHL game for a family of 4 costs in the $300 - $400 (CDN) range. I watch the games on Centre Ice for @ $10/month & take the kids to see the local junior teams ($8 a seat) for our live fix, in between coaching and ferrying the kids to hockey games & practices

I make a very good living up here, but I'll be damned if I have to shell out the equivalent of a car payment to go see an NHL game and I'm not alone. The NHL is killing the young market, their future and they know it. Look around, you don't see too many kids at games anymore because Joe Six Pack can't afford to take his family.

Ironically, we were season ticket holders for @ 12 years when I used to live in/near Toronto, but we gave them up in '85 or so, when they jumped from $12 to $15 a seat.