PDA

View Full Version : Listing to WRG55 and

Patrick76777
02-12-2004, 02:25 PM
They just said that John Clayton is reporting that KC and Buffalo are the front-runners for Drew Henson.

Plus Peter King on Tuesday said it might be a 2nd rounder this year but if the bidding gets going, it could turn into a 1st rounder next year and that the Texans are hoping for a pick in 2005.

The Spaz
02-12-2004, 02:27 PM
Well I don't know what to say except if the Bills front office think he is worth it then I will just have to see how it pans out an dhope for the best.

Earthquake Enyart
02-12-2004, 02:30 PM
Why would the Chiefs want him?

Pride
02-12-2004, 02:48 PM
We better not be giving up our #1 for him!

don137
02-12-2004, 03:09 PM
I am not big on him at all...I put little merit in how he does in his workout...Showing what you can do on a practice field vs what you can do on gameday is totally differnt. No way would I give a first rd pick for this guy let alone a #2.

DraftBoy
02-12-2004, 03:12 PM
Id possibly give up a 1st next year for him...B.c we may be able to deal Henry or McGahee for something.

Romes
02-12-2004, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by Winfield_26
Id possibly give up a 1st next year for him...B.c we may be able to deal Henry or McGahee for something.

NOOOO!!!

Keep Henry and McGahee we ranked in the 20s for team total rushing. I want to see both those guys get carries and be productive.

THATHURMANATOR
02-12-2004, 03:31 PM
I thing he has some potential but I would not give up a first rounder for him. A second yes. It would be like drafting him in the second round and I would have no problem with that.

THATHURMANATOR
02-12-2004, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Romes

NOOOO!!!

Keep Henry and McGahee we ranked in the 20s for team total rushing. I want to see both those guys get carries and be productive.

Unless Mcgahee is a total bust I can't see us having both on our roster after next year.

ScottLawrence
02-12-2004, 03:37 PM
I agree with Winfield,

If McGahee has a Solid season then we could deal Henry or McGahee for a first round pick..... As well as trade one for Drew Henson.

Im not intrested in trading our second round pick this year

The_Philster
02-12-2004, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
Why would the Chiefs want him?

Todd Collins is their #2 QB

HenryRules
02-12-2004, 05:47 PM
Personally ... I think that if McGahee is healthy and productive in pre-season, then Henry's not breaking camp with this team.

I'd like him to stay this season, but we've never carried a decent backup at all in the last few years, trading our best backup just before the season started, and the cost of trading Henry (cap-wise) is pretty much nothing. Plus, some team is bound to think that they could be a contender if they only had a RB, so that's when I see us making a trade.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
02-12-2004, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by Patrick76777
They just said that John Clayton is reporting that KC and Buffalo are the front-runners for Drew Henson.

Plus Peter King on Tuesday said it might be a 2nd rounder this year but if the bidding gets going, it could turn into a 1st rounder next year and that the Texans are hoping for a pick in 2005.

:lolcry: WGR55 is a joke Schoop and the Bulldog please :rofl: Listen to a real sports station WNSA!!!!!

helmetguy
02-12-2004, 07:35 PM
Didn't Mularkey say something about having Henry and McGahee in the game at the same time; and not just for a couple of gimmick plays? Mc Gahee is still an unknown quantity, and Henry has been very pruductive, in spite of injuries and in spite of the Gilbride fiasco. If McGahee pans out, andlives up to his billing, it makes no sense to trade a known quantity for the prospect of "potential." "A bird in the hand...?"

Ebenezer
02-12-2004, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR
I thing he has some potential but I would not give up a first rounder for him. A second yes. It would be like drafting him in the second round and I would have no problem with that.

I agree.

Fat Tony
02-12-2004, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by HenryRules
Personally ... I think that if McGahee is healthy and productive in pre-season, then Henry's not breaking camp with this team.

That's crazy talk. Even if they give him the bulk of the carries in preseason, 4 games on a reconstructed knee doesn't make up for 20 months off. Without Henry backing him up (if he won the job outright) it would be absolutely foolish to go into a season without a dcent backup.

Let's indulge this fantasy for a sec-

Who or what could a team give us to help this team out immediatly? Cap constraints would constrict any big name player coming here (the team trading us player X could not absorb the cap hit accelerating whatever bonus due him)

And don't say "get a #1 the following draft"

Why in hell would we do that? We could trade him after the season for the same #1 pick.

Patrick76777
02-12-2004, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by BillsChampsin04

:lolcry: WGR55 is a joke Schoop and the Bulldog please :rofl: Listen to a real sports station WNSA!!!!!

EDITED FOR TOS

tampabay25690
02-12-2004, 10:31 PM
The Bills will have both backs going into next year!!!!!! We will see one of the best rushing tandems in the NFL in a long time. If we shape up the Line, and McNally does what he is suppose to do. Our line could be much improved

HenryRules
02-13-2004, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Fat Tony

That's crazy talk. Even if they give him the bulk of the carries in preseason, 4 games on a reconstructed knee doesn't make up for 20 months off. Without Henry backing him up (if he won the job outright) it would be absolutely foolish to go into a season without a dcent backup.

Let's indulge this fantasy for a sec-

Who or what could a team give us to help this team out immediatly? Cap constraints would constrict any big name player coming here (the team trading us player X could not absorb the cap hit accelerating whatever bonus due him)

And don't say "get a #1 the following draft"

Why in hell would we do that? We could trade him after the season for the same #1 pick.

Please, please, please, oh please, read my post before bashing the hell out of what i said. Especially focus on the part that says "I'd like him to stay this season".

I'd like him to stay this season, but we've never carried a decent backup at all in the last few years, trading our best backup just before the season started, and the cost of trading Henry (cap-wise) is pretty much nothing. Plus, some team is bound to think that they could be a contender if they only had a RB, so that's when I see us making a trade.

I was trying to take a guess at what TD would do ... not what I think he should do.

Oh, and by the way ... just before the start of each of the last 2 seasons, we've traded our top backup RB for, you guessed it, a future draft pick.

Tatonka
02-13-2004, 10:37 PM
tony is saying what is the point of trading henry before the season for a draft pick that is after the next season, when you could just keep him and trade him after the season?

Dozerdog
02-13-2004, 11:06 PM

I don't see a trade of Henry during camp. Us trading Henry is cheap (Cap wise) - but unless you get a equally cheap player back -the team giving up a player for us won't be able to afford it.

I don't see a scenario where one would be traded.

HenryRules
02-15-2004, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka
tony is saying what is the point of trading henry before the season for a draft pick that is after the next season, when you could just keep him and trade him after the season?

I really don't know ... but we've already done it twice.

HenryRules
02-15-2004, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog

I don't see a trade of Henry during camp. Us trading Henry is cheap (Cap wise) - but unless you get a equally cheap player back -the team giving up a player for us won't be able to afford it.

I don't see a scenario where one would be traded.

I don't think we'll get a player back - I think we'll do it for a draft choice.

I think Henry's salary next season is right around 1 mil ... there's a fair number of teams that start the season with that amount of cap space, so I don't think anyone would require that much room. Plus, adding henry would displace someone else at the #53 spot of the team's roster, so the net cap increase would probably be closer to about $750K.

TigerJ
02-15-2004, 12:57 PM
If McGahee is obviously healthy and running with confidence at the start of the season, and another team is desperate, I could see the Bills trading Henry for the right price before the fall trade deadline. I don't see the Bills going into next season trying to peddle Henry.

HenryRules
02-15-2004, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by TigerJ
If McGahee is obviously healthy and running with confidence at the start of the season, and another team is desperate, I could see the Bills trading Henry for the right price before the fall trade deadline. I don't see the Bills going into next season trying to peddle Henry.

The more I think about this, the more I think they're going to pull the trade if McGahee is healthy.

If he's carried the load for the preseason, he's shown that he's back. It wasn't a repetitive strain injury that he had like a lineman might get, it was a one-shot thing, so if he's played 4 games at a high level with no problems, then he's proven he's healthy.

Plus, teams won't give up as much for Henry after next season if he's a backup for the whole season as they would going into the season. Denver had problems getting serious offers for Mike Anderson when they were trying to trade him a while back because everyone knew he would be a backup on their team.

Of course, this dicussion is presuming that McGahee is the starter over Henry, but I don't think the Bills used a 1st on him to sit on the bench when he's healthy.

The Spaz
02-15-2004, 04:06 PM
Who's going to backup Henry or McGahee which ever is traded, Sammy Morris, Joe Burns?

HenryRules
02-15-2004, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by The Spaz
Who's going to backup Henry or McGahee which ever is traded, Sammy Morris, Joe Burns?

That's been my question every season when we break camp - and the answer always seems to be Sammy Morris or Joe Burns.

At the end of every preseason, my biggest complaint about the Bills FO has been our trading of our best performing/most proven backup RB. I think it's foolish and stupid. However, it's a pattern that we've developed, and one that I expect to continue.

Dozerdog
02-15-2004, 04:20 PM
You can't be serious by comparing trading Henry with trading Olandis Gary.

Henry doesn't go anywhere unless it's before this season's draft (highly unlikely) or unless we get immediate help. Wht trade him for a 1st round pick In august when you could trade him for a 1st round pick in January (after the SB parade)

If they traded multiple picks, maybe- but it's not going to happen

Dozerdog
02-15-2004, 04:22 PM
Gary was grey area for not even making the roster- Henry is a 2800 yard 25 TD back with a pro bowl apearance over the past 2 seasons.

The Spaz
02-15-2004, 04:23 PM

Henry doesn't go anywhere unless it's before this season's draft (highly unlikely) or unless we get immediate help. Wht trade him for a 1st round pick In august when you could trade him for a 1st round pick in January (after the SB parade)

Exactly and Mike Mularkey and Tom Clements have already been installign packages and situations where they are both on the field at the same time.

HenryRules
02-15-2004, 04:23 PM

Yes, I am comparing them - again, assuming McGahee is the starter, they'd have the following in common:

They'd both be backups on the team.
They have both proven that they can step in and carry the rock for at least a few games.
The guys that are behind them on the depth chart are nothing and have been rejected by multiple coaching staffs as dependable backs.

While Henry is more talented, this regime has shown no need for retaining a quality backup.

If Henry is a backup this season, I don't think his marketability next offseason will be as high as it is just before the start of this season.

HenryRules
02-15-2004, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by The Spaz

Exactly and Mike Mularkey and Tom Clements have already been installign packages and situations where they are both on the field at the same time.

What practice did they do that at?

We haven't even signed free agents or draftees ... and you're implying that our game plan is already committed to keeping both players on the roster?

That's even less flexible than Gilbride was.

The Spaz
02-15-2004, 04:26 PM

What practice did they do that at?

We haven't even signed free agents or draftees ... and you're implying that our game plan is already committed to keeping both players on the roster?

That's even less flexible than Gilbride was.

Hey slappy I don't know I'm going by what Tom Clements and Mularkey have said so chill..

BiggPDaddy
02-15-2004, 04:52 PM
I don't want Henson here. He first chose to play baseball for the big payoff from the Yankees. Now that he and everyone else realizes he sucks at baseball he wants to play baseball. To me it just sounds as if he has no real heart or passion for the game.

I don't want to trade a 1st or 2nd rounder, give this guy a huge signing bonus and end up with another Rob Johnson.

The_Philster
02-15-2004, 04:57 PM
Nice post, BiggPDaddy and :welcome: to the Zone. How serious can this guy be about football if he stayed away from the game for so long? Do we really want a guy on our team who could decide the day after he's brought to Buffalo that he wanted to play badminton for a living cause he was decent at that his freshman year in high school?

Dozerdog
02-15-2004, 05:15 PM
Yes, I am comparing them - again, assuming McGahee is the starter, they'd have the following in common:

They'd both be backups on the team.
They have both proven that they can step in and carry the rock for at least a few games.
The guys that are behind them on the depth chart are nothing and have been rejected by multiple coaching staffs as dependable backs.

While Henry is more talented, this regime has shown no need for retaining a quality backup.

If Henry is a backup this season, I don't think his marketability next offseason will be as high as it is just before the start of this season.

Gary proived he was not a quality backup. He couldn't unseat Bryson in Detroit and eventually fell to 3rd string.

What other "quality" backups are you referring to that this "regime" has "refused" to "retain" "?"

Lamonica?

And if you are going to bring up Price, then I got to laugh. He didn't want o be here, and "thre regime" didn't want to pay a 2nd string WR 1st string money when the money could have (and was) used to shore up an awful defense.

HenryRules
02-15-2004, 05:19 PM

Gary proived he was not a quality backup. He couldn't unseat Bryson in Detroit and eventually fell to 3rd string.

What other "quality" backups are you referring to that this "regime" has "refused" to "retain" "?"

Lamonica?

And if you are going to bring up Price, then I got to laugh. He didn't want o be here, and "thre regime" didn't want to pay a 2nd string WR 1st string money when the money could have (and was) used to shore up an awful defense.

I'm not bringing up Price I'm only talking about RB's ... Gary and Huntley were both brought in to be the backup RB's ... both performed best in the preseason that year, both had been solid backup RB's in the past, and both were traded before the start of the season.

The whole point of my discussion has been that this "regime" has not "considered" "backup" "RBs" "to" "be" "overly" "important" "to" "carry" "on" "the" "roster". "They" "seem" "to" "be" "more" "concerned" "with" "a" "backups" "ability" "to" "play" "special" "teams".

Dozerdog
02-15-2004, 05:34 PM
You think Huntley should have won out over Morris and/or Bryson? What has Huntlley done (or Gary for that matter) since they were cut? Comparing them and drawing a line to trading Henry (based solely on if McGahee does something in preseason) is apples and oranges!

You have to stop taking statistics, especially preseason stats, into account. There are tons of intangibles that us armchair joe sixpacks don't or aren't privy too.

Looking back over the years, if we used RB preseason stats to determine who stays and who goes we would have cut Thurman Thomas and gone with guys named Kinnebrew and Tim Tindale.

By that logic Antonio Brown looked like Deon Sanders this past offseason.

It's amazing. People ***** and moan that we brought in Huntley and Gary to provide camp competition("What do we need guys like that for? We have other holes")

Neither were good enough to plat a single minute in the regular season for the Bills. Don't let your anti- TD bias cloud your fooball thinking.

Dozerdog
02-15-2004, 05:36 PM
and special team are 1/3rd the game. Don't blow it off just to have a guy who is going to carry the ball 30 times a season in a mop up role

HenryRules
02-15-2004, 05:44 PM
Anti-TD bias clouding my thinking? ... I questioned those moves way back in the day when I used to think TD was amazing (it was only this past season that I really started to doubt TD, previously I thought he was solid).

I have yet to see Travis Henry play on special teams, but that leads me to think that he probably won't be that good (when was the last time he tackled someone or did any sort of coverage?) So again, we'll be left to choose between a backup RB that can carry the ball or a special teamser - you are saying that you'd go with the special teams guy, so you're saying that you agree with trading Henry.

As I have said repeatedly ... <i>I disagree with trading Henry</i>. However, I think that based on previous actions by this team, they will decide that a backup RB who can contribute more to special teams than Henry will be more important on the roster (as you seem to agree) and thus they will trade Henry.

The_Philster
02-15-2004, 05:47 PM
Problem with that thinking is...Travis Henry is the starting RB until further notice. McGahee hasn't proven squat to show anyone he should start above a proven back in Travis Henry.

Dozerdog
02-15-2004, 05:48 PM
I think you are misreading the situation....

If McGahee had a season on that knee, then yes- you might want to deal one. But he hasn't. Dealing Henry would be foolish unless you filled a major hole in return.

HenryRules
02-15-2004, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by The_Philster
Problem with that thinking is...Travis Henry is the starting RB until further notice. McGahee hasn't proven squat to show anyone he should start above a proven back in Travis Henry.

If McGahee is healthy in preseason, I think he will be the starting RB. If he's healthy and not the starting RB, then I think he'll be traded.

HenryRules
02-15-2004, 05:53 PM
Dealing Henry would be foolish unless you filled a major hole in return.

Agreed. Again, I was trying to guess what TD would do.

Dozerdog
02-15-2004, 05:58 PM
If McGahee is healthy in preseason, I think he will be the starting RB. If he's healthy and not the starting RB, then I think he'll be traded.

Eventually, one will go. I don't think the evaluation of which one it will be will take place after each has a single quarter in 4 meager preseason games against 2nd and 3rd stringers.

elltrain22
02-15-2004, 06:59 PM
I would personally like to see Henson become a Bill, but not paying a 1st rounder to get him, but a 2nd i could deal with.

HenryRules
02-15-2004, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by elltrain22
I would personally like to see Henson become a Bill, but not paying a 1st rounder to get him, but a 2nd i could deal with.

I think the price for Henson is only going to drop ... as we get closer to the draft, the Texans are going to become more desperate to deal him.

The other thing to remember is that Henson is also going to choose whether or not he likes the team he's going to. I think with the experience Wyche and Clements have with QB's that could play in our favour.

There's a lot of negotiating to go ... but I think in the end, someone will get him for a 4th (and for that price, I'd like him in Buffalo).