PDA

View Full Version : The more I think about Henson, the more I don't like it

Earthquake Enyart
02-13-2004, 06:44 AM
1. Henson is already 24. Whether you like it or not, we're going to start next year with Bledsoe. The earliest Henson will get any significant playing time is if the wheels totally come off next year (like they did this year :eek: ). Then Henson will play some toward the end of the year. If Bledsoe does turn it around, Henson won't play for at least 3 years. I think we would be better served in the long run by drafting a younger QB, even a project, that is a couple of years away. The project would be cheaper too, freeing up $$ for other needs.

2. While he does have a strong arm, he doesn't throw a very tight spiral. Not sure how he would do in OP.

I think we should draft a later round QB (Josh Harris or the like), use earlier picks on OL, DB, DL. We would also have more $$ in FA.

Michael82
02-13-2004, 06:49 AM
OMG! I actually agree with EE? :eek: :ontome:

Good post! :bf1:

I'd love to see Harris drafted in the 3rd or 4th round. :D

Tatonka
02-13-2004, 07:25 AM
i am telling you.. this is JUST like the rob johnson situation.. just like it..

the kid had 4 impressive games while in college.. only 4 out of the 8 would you consider strong games at all... and 2 of those 8 were horrible.

he basically has impressed everyone with his size, speed, and arm.. just like rob johnson did in limited time with jacksonville in a backup role.

this kid (i hesitate to call him that, because he is getting old already) is only this popular because he has been gone while the buzz has kept circling about "what could have been"... well the end of that statement is "IF HE WOULD HAVE STAYED IN SCHOOL FOR ANOTHER YEAR TO PROVE HE COULD DO SOMETHING".

if the bills go after him, i will truely be discussed with our qb position.. i will support him, but i wont be happy about it at all..

unless of coarse, he plays well and wins. but hell, the entire coaching staff, gm, and most players have to deal with that.

ryjam282
02-13-2004, 07:29 AM
Tatonka....We are like 1 mind....I am thinking that exactly. Nice post.

TheGhostofJimKelly
02-13-2004, 07:32 AM
If every GM in football believed Henson was no good then I might agree with you. You have 20 teams interested in Henson. That says something to me. I would rather trade a second rounder in next years draft and keep our 13th pick this year for someone who is going to play. Let Henson learn from Bledsoe, Wyche, Mularky, and Clements. After watching Bledsoe last year I can't see the Bills picking up his option.

Tat, did you mean disgusted?
("if the bills go after him, i will truely be discussed with our qb position.. i will support him, but i wont be happy about it at all..)

You have to quit living in the past and comparing Rob Johnson to this guy.

I will tell you that if Miami gets him you guys are really going to hate him. Kind of like that hate for Dan Marino.

Tatonka
02-13-2004, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by TheGhostofJimKelly
If every GM in football believed Henson was no good then I might agree with you. You have 20 teams interested in Henson. That says something to me. I would rather trade a second rounder in next years draft and keep our 13th pick this year for someone who is going to play. Let Henson learn from Bledsoe, Wyche, Mularky, and Clements. After watching Bledsoe last year I can't see the Bills picking up his option.

Tat, did you mean disgusted?
("if the bills go after him, i will truely be discussed with our qb position.. i will support him, but i wont be happy about it at all..)

You have to quit living in the past and comparing Rob Johnson to this guy.

I will tell you that if Miami gets him you guys are really going to hate him. Kind of like that hate for Dan Marino.

yeah.. i did mean disgusted... sorry, i get excited when i am pissed off... and i type bad.

the guy has never proved that he can or will do anything.. so i dont know how you are so sure that i should be scared if the dolphins get him.. i am actually somewhat hoping they do...

realmendontwearteal
02-13-2004, 09:25 AM
hes not worth takin a chance on.....he hasnt played football in quite along time since he played at michigan basically.....he could turn into a bust once the NFL season starts

TedMock
02-13-2004, 09:38 AM
or he could turn out to great. It's no different than drafting Rivers or Rothlisberger. I know people are gonna freak by me saying that but we have no idea how any of these guys will turn out. I keep Manning in a different category just because he has an unusual intelligence and some of the best "consutants" a guy could have (Peyton and Archie). What we do know is that Henson WAS more talented than Rothlisberger or Rivers. He needed another year of college to see if he's a bigtime QB. We know that the scouts are down on Rivers' throwing style, some compared him to Kosar. Kosar turned out solid so maybe. We also know that Rothlisberger played weaker competition than the others did. When he had a chance to play a bigtime school like Iowa, he played poorly. Just a bad game or is he not ready? Who knows? So, my point is that I don't see it as the huge risk some do. A first round pick this year is a little much but I don't think a second rounder is, especially considering that we have cap space for free agency. Otherwise our best hope is to land Losman or Schaub in the 2nd. I'm not sold on Losman seeing that I haven't seen much of him. Schaub had a tough inury and didn't seem to fully recover this year. I was at his first game back vs. Wake and he looked weak. I figured give it time but a few weeks later at Maryland (I was there too! Go Terps!) he still looked weak so I'm not comfy with him either.

The Spaz
02-13-2004, 09:41 AM
Like I have stated before I have no good or bad opinion of him yet. He is 24 which makes him 1 year older than a senior in this years class.

TheGhostofJimKelly
02-13-2004, 09:43 AM
Tat, I am saying that when he goes to the Dolphins and turns into Tom Brady we will all be saying how we should have taken the chance. Some of you aren't thinking this logically. You can't just say the guy hasn't played in a couple years and therefore he sucks. You have to look at the price that could be paid to have him. If the tag is a 2nd round pick in next years draft that is a steal. I have heard many "experts" say that he would be ranked #20 or so in this years draft. It's not like we are giving up this years #1. That pick can be used to get a player that will help this year. I just don't see the logic in saying he hasn't played in 3 years so he stinks. He hasn't forgotten how to throw a football. All the intangibles that it takes to get back to the game can be learned over the next year. I am confused on the negativity on here. I can only think that some of you have your hearts set on someone like Rivers and Henson threatens the option to draft him.

helmetguy
02-13-2004, 12:21 PM
The one thing we SHOULDN'T do is draft a guy just to keep him away from someone else. If we can get Rivers, then we should do it. He has the work product to look at, whereas Henson's work product is severely limited by his option to attemp baseball as a career. But, to take Henson to keep him away from Miami is just plain dumb. If we take care of what WE have to do, we're further ahead than pre-empting someone else from doing what we think they want to do.

Tatonka
02-13-2004, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by helmetguy
The one thing we SHOULDN'T do is draft a guy just to keep him away from someone else. If we can get Rivers, then we should do it. He has the work product to look at, whereas Henson's work product is severely limited by his option to attemp baseball as a career. But, to take Henson to keep him away from Miami is just plain dumb. If we take care of what WE have to do, we're further ahead than pre-empting someone else from doing what we think they want to do.

good point.

MTBillsFan
02-13-2004, 03:47 PM
Henson is getting a heck of alotta hype for only starting 8 games at michagan according espn. Sure he has a strong arm but how does the guy handle a blitz pick up after being in baseball the last three 3yrs?

TheGhostofJimKelly
02-13-2004, 04:32 PM
Another thing nobody is thinking of is the cost for a 6th round draft pick. The rookie cap only allows so much for a 6th rounder.
Also, wouldn't the Texans have to take a signing bonus hit on their cap?

Dozerdog
02-13-2004, 04:44 PM
If we were a team like Green Bay, or the Giants- who had a starter for the forseable future but need to replace them in 2-3 years, I might spend a mid round (3 or 4)pick on the guy. Or if Buffalo was burdened (haha) with New England's 6 picks in the top 115 or so

The Bills can't afford to mess up with a QB drafted high. If Bledsoe and Wyche click and he's an all-pro for 2-3 years we wasted the pick. If Bledsoe fails and we get a dissapointing result drafting a QB high, again we wasted the pick.

Is Henson any good? Who knows. I personally doubt it, but he might. Let someone else roll the dice.

I hear some folks on this board base their high opinions on him because of all the "interest" fom the league and all the Bills brass in attendance. Well, Duh... there is nothing else going on right now so everyone and their mother are sending people to the Henson dog & pony show, so I'm not reading into any of that.

And with all the positive quotes? Hell, he could be bouncing overthrown balls off the mascot and they will all say great stuff about him- no one really will come out with a negative review or say what they really think.

Too bad he coudn't take some snaps ion NFLE before the draft.

Tatonka
02-13-2004, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
If we were a team like Green Bay, or the Giants- who had a starter for the forseable future but need to replace them in 2-3 years, I might spend a mid round (3 or 4)pick on the guy. Or if Buffalo was burdened (haha) with New England's 6 picks in the top 115 or so

The Bills can't afford to mess up with a QB drafted high. If Bledsoe and Wyche click and he's an all-pro for 2-3 years we wasted the pick. If Bledsoe fails and we get a dissapointing result drafting a QB high, again we wasted the pick.

Is Henson any good? Who knows. I personally doubt it, but he might. Let someone else roll the dice.

I hear some folks on this board base their high opinions on him because of all the "interest" fom the league and all the Bills brass in attendance. Well, Duh... there is nothing else going on right now so everyone and their mother are sending people to the Henson dog & pony show, so I'm not reading into any of that.

And with all the positive quotes? Hell, he could be bouncing overthrown balls off the mascot and they will all say great stuff about him- no one really will come out with a negative review or say what they really think.

Too bad he coudn't take some snaps ion NFLE before the draft.

post of the day :up: