PDA

View Full Version : Question for Ingtar:

Jeff1220
02-13-2004, 09:05 AM
Ingtar,
just wanted to let you know that I appreciate all of your first-hand knowledge of the game and candid insights on players. As to your being a scout, I have a question that I'm curious about:
Is it a sort of taboo situation for you to be a scout for one organization and a hardcore fan of another?
Since most of us who follow the game grow up as fans of a particular team, I'd imagine that most players and other NFL guys have favorite teams from their pre-NFL days, but act as most professionals would, and put all that aside for the good of their organization. Is that something that's ever discussed, or is it pretty much kept hush-hush?

Michael82
02-13-2004, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by Jeff1220
Ingtar,
just wanted to let you know that I appreciate all of your first-hand knowledge of the game and candid insights on players. As to your being a scout, I have a question that I'm curious about:
Is it a sort of taboo situation for you to be a scout for one organization and a hardcore fan of another?
Since most of us who follow the game grow up as fans of a particular team, I'd imagine that most players and other NFL guys have favorite teams from their pre-NFL days, but act as most professionals would, and put all that aside for the good of their organization. Is that something that's ever discussed, or is it pretty much kept hush-hush?

That's a good question. I can't wait to hear his reply. :up:

Ingtar33
02-13-2004, 04:15 PM
good question.

Yeah, most of us are actually hardcore fans of the game, we even talk about our favorate teams and the like (with each other).

The thing is this. When you work for a team, you're expected to wear team colors so to speak, and know your team as if you're a hardcore fan. This way the scouting department can assume what needs the team has when its working on its draft evaluations. We often are kept abreast of the salary cap status as well.

Scouting is a job, your favorite team is your passion. And its not much of a conflict of interest because most scouts spend all of their time with college teams. And in the end all you're doing is evaluating players (whom no one owns) to the best of your ability... since your job and future in the business is dependent on your skill doing this, it is in your best interest to do your best for whomever you work with as there are not many (if any) second chances in this business.

Dozerdog
02-13-2004, 04:19 PM
LOL...If the Bills ever meet up with Ingtar's team in the Championship game or Super Bowl, and a $20,000 ring might come his way- who do you think he's going to cheer for?

Ingtar33
02-13-2004, 04:28 PM
I would be there in my team colors, cheering for both teams (not too loudly for the bills), and celebrate all night long no mater what...

though if the bills lost, id be crying the next day.

Mr. Miyagi
02-13-2004, 04:41 PM
It's a similar situation for me where I work for the American automotive industry but I personally prefer Hondas. I do my best for the company, but I drive a Civic to work. :D

Devin
02-13-2004, 04:43 PM
LOL!

Michael82
02-13-2004, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by Ingtar33
I would be there in my team colors, cheering for both teams (not too loudly for the bills), and celebrate all night long no mater what...

Great answer! :up:

Michael82
02-13-2004, 04:45 PM
Hey Ingtar, have you ever tried to get a scouting job with the Bills? Maybe they'd be thrilled to get a Big Bills fan who is a great scout on the team. :up:

Dozerdog
02-13-2004, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by Mike32282
Hey Ingtar, have you ever tried to get a scouting job with the Bills? Maybe they'd be thrilled to get a Big Bills fan who is a great scout on the team. :up:

If I were an NFL GM, the last thing I would ask or want to know is if he's a "Fan" of the team. As these boards clearly have shown, fans make the most horrid choices for GM's, scouts, coaches- you name it.

Tatonka
02-13-2004, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Ingtar33

so your saying you work for an nfc team? :snicker:

Dozerdog
02-13-2004, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by Mike32282
That's a good question. I can't wait to hear his reply. :up:

Originally posted by Tatonka
so your saying you work for an nfc team? :snicker:

By the time you and Mikey pin it down, you will have him working for the Amsterdam Admirals....

nolimit
02-13-2004, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi
It's a similar situation for me where I work for the American automotive industry but I personally prefer Hondas. I do my best for the company, but I drive a Civic to work. :D

LMAO!!! So you drive around in a tricked out civic too, huh. Us civic drivers must stick together.:cheers:

nolimit
02-13-2004, 06:07 PM
hey Ingtar, have u ever tried to get a scouting job with the Bills? Just curious.

Ingtar33
02-13-2004, 06:15 PM
i never said if it was possible or not... maybe i intentionally answered it as if it was to throw you off the scent, or maybe i slipped up ;)

as to the Bills, scouting departments are built differently in each team, some teams do things a "standard way" some an "old way" and some their own way. But the main way these things operate is the head scout usually hires all the other scouts, and then trains them to scout the way he wants you to... often times the player personnel director is "promoted" from the scouting department and he just promotes a scout he trained to be the head scout, who then continues the "standard" operating procedure in the scouting department.

When personnel folks change (GMs) the team often promotes their head of player personnel to maintain continuity, and if they bring in another GM you'll see most of the time, the scouting department getting a major re-work, as he brings in people who do things his way, and the system continues.

The way this system works it is often rare for personnel folks to move from one team to another... furthermore, if I did want to work with the Bills I would be starting from the ground floor again. Trust me, being a regional scout sucks.

shadowfax
02-13-2004, 07:37 PM
hopefully, someday, you'll reveal the team you work for. If not publicly on this board, then privately to select curious posters named shadowfax, via PM.

Anyway, a real question for you...from your work experience and all the whispers you have heard, how well respected is the current Bills scouting department?

I've read things here and there that suggest that some teams' scouts will pay very close attention to what other team's scouts are doing, depending on their respect for the work that staff has done in the past.

eyedog
02-13-2004, 07:45 PM
The Giants. Your a scout for the Giants Ing.

The Spaz
02-13-2004, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by shadowfax
hopefully, someday, you'll reveal the team you work for. If not publicly on this board, then privately to select curious posters named shadowfax, via PM.

Anyway, a real question for you...from your work experience and all the whispers you have heard, how well respected is the current Bills scouting department?

I've read things here and there that suggest that some teams' scouts will pay very close attention to what other team's scouts are doing, depending on their respect for the work that staff has done in the past.

There is no way he reveals who he works for and nor should he.

Michael82
02-13-2004, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by The Spaz
There is no way he reveals who he works for and nor should he.

Nope, he shouldn't. It's more fun this way anyways. :D

Jeff1220
02-13-2004, 09:28 PM
Thanks man. That's pretty interesting stuff. Do players have favorites too (maybe that's why Ty Law was wearing that Bills shirt the other day)?
I'm sure you've earned it, but it must be a pretty sweet job to have. No?