PDA

View Full Version : Bills Re-Sign Ross Tucker!

Michael82
02-13-2004, 09:10 PM
The Buffalo Bills reached a three-year, $2.2 million agreement with guard Ross Tucker, 24, that could grow to $3.2 million depending upon his playing time. Tucker is a great success story for the Bills, a former undrafted player claimed off waivers from the Dallas Cowboys who ended up as the starting right guard the final five games of last season. The 6-4, 316-pounder is projected to be a starter next season. Included in the deal is a $225,000 signing bonus. He was scheduled to be a restricted free agent.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/clayton/qhits.html

The Spaz
02-13-2004, 09:18 PM
Well that's a nice depth addition and could do more depending on how he responds to McNally's teaching.

Jeff1220
02-13-2004, 09:31 PM
Tucker played pretty well for a back-up last year (better than the starter). McNally must've liked the film he saw of this guy.

TigerJ
02-13-2004, 09:39 PM
I think he's supposed to be a smart, dedicated, technically sound guard who's not very athletic. Better than a talented guy who's lazy. It'd be nice to get a talented guy who's also smart, dedicated, and technically sound.

juice
02-13-2004, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by TigerJ
I think he's supposed to be a smart, dedicated, technically sound guard who's not very athletic. Better than a talented guy who's lazy. It'd be nice to get a talented guy who's also smart, dedicated, and technically sound.

Like M. Sullivan who can play three different positions. I Guess now he is expendible. Versitile, athletic, and Big, with coaching MS could fill any position.

The Spaz
02-13-2004, 09:49 PM
Sullivan can play center?

juice
02-13-2004, 09:55 PM
Hasn't he played Lt, Rt and guard in the past? He could fill in in case of injury, size can't be Taught, he can fit in somewhere in a running offense.

ScottLawrence
02-13-2004, 10:06 PM
How much will this take off of our cap space?

Goobylal
02-14-2004, 01:06 PM
$530K most likely, which represents the amortized SB ($75K) plus what (this year) should be the minimum salary of $455K.

SABURZFAN
02-14-2004, 01:34 PM
tucker didn't do a bad job.he did better than pucillo.

Ebenezer
02-14-2004, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by ScottLawrence
How much will this take off of our cap space?

Originally posted by Goobylal
$530K most likely, which represents the amortized SB ($75K) plus what (this year) should be the minimum salary of $455K.

A little more than that. The minimum tender on Tucker was $675,000. Why would he sign a deal that gives him considerably less than that. I would bet he signed for about the tender. The cap hit is probably about $700,000. And, at this point, he displaces the 51st rated salary so the actual cap reduction is about $400,000.

Goobylal
02-14-2004, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Ebenezer
A little more than that. The minimum tender on Tucker was $675,000. Why would he sign a deal that gives him considerably less than that. I would bet he signed for about the tender. The cap hit is probably about $700,000. And, at this point, he displaces the 51st rated salary so the actual cap reduction is about $400,000.
Tucker got a contract for 3 years and $2.2M with a $225K signing bonus. So he'll make about $2M in salary (without factoring-in any incentives). Considering that most contracts are backloaded with the first year being the minimum, Tucker's salary this year should be $455K (he has 3 accrued seasons in the NFL), and added to the amortized SB of $75K, I got a cap hit for THIS YEAR of $530K. You are correct that he'll probably knock-off the 51st player, so I figure his net cap hit will be about $230K.

As for the $675K number you mentioned, I assume that that's the minimum qualifying offer for a RFA, which would have allowed the Bills to match any offer he gets (since he was an UDFA and therefore doesn't merit a pick if given the MQO). I don't know for sure why he agreed to a contract that averages a little more than that ($733K a year, again without any incentives being met), but I suspect it has to do with knowing he has a guaranteed $225K in-hand, the chance to work with Mularkey, Clements, and especially McNally, and a real chance to start and earn that $1M in incentives.

clumping platelets
02-14-2004, 03:15 PM
The cap hit on 2004 is less than the tender but with the minimum salary for a player with 3 yrs and the bonus money up front, he's making about the same amount as the tender. Bills saved about $150,000 on the 2004 cap by signing him and not tendering him. Get used to this, this gonna be a trend for RFAs

G. Host
02-14-2004, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Jeff1220
Tucker played pretty well for a back-up last year (better than the starter). McNally must've liked the film he saw of this guy.

McNally saw a lot more film on him than Bils have for he played for Redskins and Cowboys when McNally coached Giants.

HenryRules
02-15-2004, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by SABURZFAN
tucker didn't do a bad job.he did better than pucillo.

He did better than Pucillo, but he did do a bad job.

Watch some of the really good lines play - like KC, Seattle, or someone like that ... you'll see how lacking our performances were. Yes, we had a horrendous coach, but I don't think the talent was there either.

Without incentives, it looks like Tucker's making the minimum ... that's exactly what he should make because for any team with playoff hopes, he's a backup.

The Spaz
02-15-2004, 04:08 PM
We need a RG period.

HenryRules
02-15-2004, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by G. Host

McNally saw a lot more film on him than Bils have for he played for Redskins and Cowboys when McNally coached Giants.

I'd be suprised if McNally liked what he saw of Tucker when he was with the Cowboys or Skins ... I remember McNally talking during the season about why the Giants didn't bring in any FA OL last offseason, and he basically said that he didn't like any of the guys that were available.

elltrain22
02-15-2004, 07:03 PM
Good sign. Tucker was pretty good last year filling in, and he may even get better under mc nally

Marvelous
02-15-2004, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by TigerJ
I like this move. And i'm happy to have a Guard that has smarts and fundamentals that can make up for lack of agilty..imo