PDA

View Full Version : Redskins preparing to copy TD and trade a franchised Champ Bailey?

Michael82
02-13-2004, 09:32 PM
In a stunning move that certainly grabbed the attention of league general managers on an otherwise serene Friday afternoon, the Washington Redskins have granted star cornerback Champ Bailey permission to initiate trade discussions with other franchises, ESPN.com has learned.

Several teams confirmed that agent Jack Reale faxed them notification of the surprising move. Reale did not immediately return phone messages on Friday but a Washington source confirmed that Redskins owner Dan Snyder agreed on Thursday night that Bailey can speak with other clubs.

Bailey, 25, just finished the final season of his original NFL contract and technically is eligible for unrestricted free agency, although the Redskins could limit his options.

The move could signal an impasse in negotiations, aimed at extending the contract of the five-year veteran and four-time Pro Bowl performer, or it might reflect any number of potential scenarios. Among them: The team could attempt to obtain draft choices to use in acquiring quarterback Mark Brunell from the Jacksonville Jaguars. Or, having recently signed strong-side linebacker LaVar Arrington to a blockbuster contract, the Redskins may have decided they cannot afford to have two such highly paid defenders.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=1734533

juice
02-13-2004, 09:51 PM
Bailey at age 25 might be worth the investment, He's top three talent.

Tatonka
02-13-2004, 10:15 PM
it would be bad enough to pay baileys ungodly price tag that he will demand.. to have to give up a draft pick on top of that? foget it.

Dozerdog
02-13-2004, 10:17 PM
Too many FA corners and it's deep at CB as well

juice
02-13-2004, 10:23 PM
Someone from Philly's Backfield might be cost efficient, and Taylor would add size, something this DB core is desperatly lacking.

The_Philster
02-14-2004, 04:25 AM
Originally posted by Tatonka
it would be bad enough to pay baileys ungodly price tag that he will demand.. to have to give up a draft pick on top of that? foget it.

exactly my thoughts. Yeah, he's been one of the best out there but with this year's crop of free agent CBs, it'd be crazy to do it. Peerless was a different case, IMO as the WR free agent pool was thin. Personally, I'd rather we keep Winfield...should be cheaper than most of the other top CBs out there.

Stewie
02-14-2004, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka

I disagree. If our first pick was a few spots higher, we'd be paying an enormous amount of money anyway. As it is, we'll be paying a lot with no guarantee of any success.

We should trade for Bailey, then franchise and trade Winfield.

We could sign Champ and lose our first rounder, but get a late first /early second for Winfield.

juice
02-14-2004, 01:39 PM
Good point, at least you know you get a dominant all around corner in his prime. He is probably the best in the game.

wbat27
02-14-2004, 01:53 PM
I like it but there is the possibilty of not being able to trade winfield. Even though winfield,baily, clements sounds fantastic. or even winfield in the freesaftey position?

BigZ
02-14-2004, 02:20 PM
Bailey is definitely a fallback but putting a tag on Winfield is risky - is he worth top 5 or top 10 cornerback money? I'm not sure.

This whole situation will force TD to get moving on Winfield. My guess is that they start negotiating a new contract and that if they work one out that TD feels is fair to both sides, he'll resign Winfield. If not, then he'll look at the price/value of the free agents.

Bailey is one of the best but not the only one available that could fit in. There's Vincent, Woodson, Buckley, McAlister and a slew of others.

A good link for all the free agents is: http://www.fftoday.com/agent/agent.html

Stewie
02-14-2004, 02:21 PM
Winfield at free safety...:drool:

SABURZFAN
02-14-2004, 02:44 PM
we have other areas on the team that we need to spend money on.the abundance of CBs doesn't make bailey in demand just yet.

BillsFever
02-14-2004, 10:16 PM
How the heck did they copy TD? Donahoe isn't the first person to ever franchise tag a player and trade them, lol

The Spaz
02-14-2004, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by BillsFever
How the heck did they copy TD? Donahoe isn't the first person to ever franchise tag a player and trade them, lol

This is true but TD Franchised Peerless Price got a 1st rounder for him and after Peerless only had 1 good year.

HenryRules
02-15-2004, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by paulB
Winfield at free safety...:drool:

I don't really want to see Winfield at FS ... nothing against his abilities at CB, I just long for the days when our FS's were playmakers. We already have a couple of guys who can bat passes down at FS, I'd like one that catches them.

elltrain22
02-15-2004, 07:04 PM
I can't believe he doesn't want to stay on a Skins team that will be coached by one of the all time greats.

The Spaz
02-15-2004, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by elltrain22
I can't believe he doesn't want to stay on a Skins team that will be coached by one of the all time greats.

:bling::$:

Akhippo
02-16-2004, 10:50 AM
I say we trade Clements for Bailey. Clements has the potential to be good, however Bailey is already good.

Valerie
02-16-2004, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by elltrain22 I can't believe he doesn't want to stay on a Skins team that will be coached by one of the all time greats.
I have to wonder just how long Joe Gibbs will be coaching. At 64 years old, he's the oldest coach in the league and with his recent short and not serious stint in the hospital in Florida, I just have to wonder how many years he'll be back on the field. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he only coached for one year and quit due to age and health reasons.

The_Philster
02-16-2004, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Jaded 7
I wouldn't be at all surprised if he only coached for one year and quit due to age and health reasons.
Then they make Williams the head coach. :evil:

The Spaz
02-16-2004, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by The_Philster

Then they make Williams the head coach. :evil:

:evil::snicker:

kardshark19
02-16-2004, 10:27 PM
Word around here on the sports radio stations are saying that the Skins may want a 1st and a 2nd rounder for Champ...maybe even another future pick. Sounds a little too steep, I think.