• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The_Philster
    • Jul 2002

Bledsoe backer

By Michael Smith, Boston Globe
    Sam Wyche didn't just feel the itch. He's just now getting around to scratching it.

"I missed coaching from the day I got out of it," said Wyche, the ex-Bengals and Buccaneers head coach, moments after being introduced as the Bills' new quarterbacks coach Tuesday. "I missed the teaching part of it. I stayed in touch with [new Buffalo head coach] Mike [Mularkey, a Wyche assistant in Tampa Bay], and I let him know that when his time comes, and I knew it was coming, that I could help."

Coming off the worst season of his career, help is precisely what Drew Bledsoe needs. He passed for only 2,860 yards and 11 touchdowns as Buffalo struggled to a 6-10 mark. Wyche, who last coached in the NFL for Tampa Bay in 1995, got to know the former Patriots quarterback as a broadcaster for CBS and NBC in the late '90s. The former tutor to Joe Montana and Boomer Esiason got acquainted with his new pupil last week; Wyche spoke to Bledsoe by phone, then reviewed every one of Buffalo's pass plays from last year.
    more scroll about halfway down the page for this topic
    The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!
  • BillsFever
    Mr. Predictament
    • Feb 2003

That would be cool in all if it was a 23 year old QB, not a 32 year old QB.

We need to teach our 11 year vet how to dump off to an outlet receiver and throw the ball away? That's pathetic.

Six other coaches within the last 15 years couldn't do it. Good luck, Sam.

Comment

• BigZ
      • Sep 2003

Good article. Wyche needs to work on Bledsoe's confidence and timing (his internal qb clock).

My feeling is if anybody can fix Drew, Wyche can.

And since it's always to be optimistic in the off-season, I totally believe Sam will get it done.

Comment

• BillsFever
        Mr. Predictament
        • Feb 2003

Bill Parcells, Bill Belicheck, and Charlie Weis couldn't do it. I don't feel too optimistic that Sam Wyche and Mike Malarkey will.

Damn, this is gonna be another long season.

Comment

• The_Philster
          • Jul 2002

Mularkey helped Kordella look like an actual QB for a season without Wyche's help
          The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• BillsFever
            Mr. Predictament
            • Feb 2003

In 23 games with Mularkey, Stewart had 20 TD's and 23 TO's. His full season with him he had 14 TD's and 15 TO's.

Damn, we are well on our way to the Super Bowl now.

Comment

• The Spaz
              • Mar 2003

Negative Nancy

Comment

• BillsFever
                Mr. Predictament
                • Feb 2003

I'm not negative. I just don't wear rose colored glasses.

I was told Stewart had a good year under Malarkey. According to that it's not a very good year.

Under a full season with Gilbride Stewart had 11 TD's and 11 TO's

Under a full season with Malarkey Stewart had 14 TD's and 15 TO's.

Stewart passed almost 150 more times under Malarkey then he did under Gilbride in the full season each of them had with Stewart.

Not much a difference there to me.

If the Bills consider 14 TD's and 15 TO's a good season out of 442 pass attempts, then we are in trouble for years to come.
                Last edited by BillsFever; 02-15-2004, 12:50 PM.

Comment

• The_Philster
                  • Jul 2002

Stats never tell the whole story

Comment

• The Spaz
                    • Mar 2003

Who has rose colored glasses I just see things differently?

Comment

• BillsFever
                      Mr. Predictament
                      • Feb 2003

Originally posted by The_Philster
                      Stats never tell the whole story
                      The only people who say that is the ones who don't have the stats to back it up.

That's like when somebody says beauty is on the inside, not the outside. It's mostly ugly people who say that.

Comment

• The_Philster
                        • Jul 2002

So every interception is the fault of the QB, right?

just give me the answer to that one.

Comment

• juice
                          • Aug 2003

HAVING dumpoff recievers and Knowing the offense inside out will help with sacks and turnovers. The offensive schemes were a major part of the teams problems last year.

I'm not too sure about him running more unless it's to just get outside of the tackles to throw the ball away. The less hits DB is exposed to the less likly he'll be injured.

SW makes a good point that DB still has all the tools, If he still has the armstrength and accuracy the other obstacles can be delt with in gameplanning and personnel. An upgrade in #2 reciever and moving Reed to the #3 will be a better all-around fit and making the TE a Hotread will give another option.

"Hey, I was always aggressive. I always had lots of energy, thats why my teammates on the Bills started calling me Juice" PLAYBOY Dec.'76

Comment

• BillsFever
                            Mr. Predictament
                            • Feb 2003

Originally posted by The_Philster
                            So every interception is the fault of the QB, right?
                            No, but the stats average themselves out by the end of a year. Especially after 11 years in the league.

It's everybody's fault but Bledsoe that he has a losing record for his career, has only won 9 games on the road against winning teams, and hasn't had a winning season in six years.

Comment

• BillsFever
                              Mr. Predictament
                              • Feb 2003

Originally posted by juice

SW makes a good point that DB still has all the tools, If he still has the armstrength and accuracy the other obstacles can be delt with in gameplanning and personnel. An upgrade in #2 reciever and moving Reed to the #3 will be a better all-around fit and making the TE a Hotread will give another option.
                              Bledsoe has always had the tools. The bad part is he has never had the brain tools. Doesn't anybody remember Rob Johnson?

Comment

Working...
                              X