It was on this date, Feb. 17, in 1927...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ð
    1-800-SAD-GOAT
    • Jul 2002

It was on this date, Feb. 17, in 1927...

that the local NHL franchise played its first game after majority interest was purchased in mid-season — Valentine's Day to be exact, which may or may not explain the city's love/hate relationship with the franchise ever since — for $160,000 by a group headed up by Conn Smythe. The Major promptly changed the club's name from St. Pats to Maple Leafs; he liked the new name because he was a soldier/patriot and he'd had a working connection to the old East Toronto Maple Leaves.

The newly renamed Leafs (spelling might not have been Smythe's forte) won that first game, 4-1 over the New York Americans. The green-and-white (they switched to blue-and-white the next season) were a bad team anchored by a half-decent goalie, Johnny Roach. Then, as now, hockey revolved around goalkeeping.

Story
  • Myers57
    Registered User and McLovin stunt double
    • Sep 2003

Thank you Mr. History techer...

Comment

• Ebenezer
      Give me a minute...
      • Jul 2002

good read...ironically somebody the other day asked me why it is the "leafs"

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• Ð
        1-800-SAD-GOAT
        • Jul 2002

LOL...lots of funny stories like that.

My middle name "Marten" is spelled with an e (as opposed to "Martin") because the Canadian Immigration guy at Pier 21 in Halifax mis-spelled my grandfather's name when he came over from Europe. My dad perpetuated the mistake on purpose & guess what my boy's middle name is ?

Comment

• Ebenezer
          Give me a minute...
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Ð
          LOL...lots of funny stories like that.

My middle name "Marten" is spelled with an e (as opposed to "Martin") because the Canadian Immigration guy at Pier 21 in Halifax mis-spelled my grandfather's name when he came over from Europe. My dad perpetuated the mistake on purpose & guess what my boy's middle name is ?
          folks in New Brunswick did the same thing to my family name....my great-great grandfathers first name became our last name

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• Ebenezer
            Give me a minute...
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Ð
            Netram??

Comment

• Ð
              1-800-SAD-GOAT
              • Jul 2002

It's probably a good thing, otherwise you would have had to kick field goals for a living.

Comment

• Ebenezer
                Give me a minute...
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Ð
                It's probably a good thing, otherwise you would have had to kick field goals for a living.

$225K a year...I'd take it...

Comment

Working...
                X