PDA

View Full Version : College Quarterback Stats

Tatonka
02-17-2004, 04:04 PM
Click this link and take a look at these numbers in a seperate window so you can flip back and forth...

http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/stats/playersort/NCAAF/QB

what is the big knock on BJ Symons? I know he is a little short, but he didnt exactly play a cream puff schedule, and threw for almost 6000 yards.. are you kidding me?? 52 tds?? the only team he struggled against all year was oklahoma, but their defense made almost everyone in the country look bad. he beat up bad on ncst, texas, okst, and several others.. wow.. i guess i just never realized his numbers were THAT high.

also, a couple more notes.

anyone that is talking about Kody Pickett is just plain out of their gord... i dont care what size he has or how strong his arm is.. 3000 yards, 15 tds to 13 picks is a friggen disgrace. and he even had reggie williams to throw to. it is funny, when i read things about reggie williams, they preface his stats with "even with the shakey qb situation".

looking at Phillip Rivers numbers just makes me realize how bad i want this kid. i really just dont see why he is not considered right there with big ben and eli, based on his performance last year and over his entire career.

I never realized Eli Manning was 6-5. he is a big guy. decent numbers, but not great. would love to have him though. man, can you get a better petigree? seriously.

Big Ben Rothelissnogginlopsogimmerberger should not be drafted based soley on his name. While he looks like the prototypical qb with all the right tools, I just dont see what makes him better than Rivers. boy, he is a big man though - 6-5, almost 250lbs.. that puts him in the Culpepper range. that is impressive. but for the people that will say that bj symons didnt play anyone.. man.. click on big bens name and take a look at his performances.. the teams he played against were dog poo.. seriously. I have decided, i dont want him. at all.

Matt Schaub one thing i noticed, while he didnt have great numbers, partly because he missed 3 games.. he was the only person who even came close to rivers completion percentage. impressive. i still dont want him. Waahoo piece of crap. Go VaTech. :D

other guys to look at... take a look at Clausens numbers. not bad at all. and he has good size as well. good late round value. same with Jeff Smoker seriously.. he played very very well this year.

anyways.. just thought some of you may want to see this.. as i know that alot of you may just be going on what you hear as opposed to the cold hard stats.. i am a person that basis alot of my opinion on numbers. what have you done.. not what can you do.. i know that doesnt always translate, for say a guy like sam adams.. but in certain positions, like qb, i truely think it does.

anyways.. there you go. :peace:

The Spaz
02-17-2004, 04:09 PM
BJ Symons=Kliff Klingsbury it's the system they run down there IMO!:beer:

Tatonka
02-17-2004, 04:28 PM
can the system really account for 6000 yards passing? and why wouldnt every college team run it?

juice
02-17-2004, 04:54 PM
In Phillip Rivers case there is the weak defenses in the ACC in the past. Putting up 350 on Duke, Virginia or WF is downplayed because many of top athletes leaving tobacco road to play elsewhere.

ACC being known for Basketball first may have been a liability in Rivers college carreer. With the consistancy of his play over his entire carreer should place him at the top of the Bills wish list in the second Rd.

The Spaz
02-17-2004, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka
can the system really account for 6000 yards passing? and why wouldnt every college team run it?

I don't know btu Kliff Klingsbury put up very big numbers from there as well.

TigerJ
02-17-2004, 07:58 PM
Cody Pickett did have a disappointing year. Some of that is due to a change in coaching and the system they ran, or so I understand. He does have some problems that will need fixing, but he's also considered to have very good tools.

I'm also thinking that Smoker deserves a very serious look. He may be the fourth or fifth best QB in the draft.

DraftBoy
02-17-2004, 08:40 PM
Where are Losman's stats? Or Harris's?

juice
02-17-2004, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by Winfield_26

Below Rivers, Figures and actual

Tatonka
02-17-2004, 10:14 PM

yeah.. they are both on there. take another look.

JefftheBillsfan
02-17-2004, 10:24 PM
pickette sort of reminds me of carson palmer. the only difference is palmer turned it around his sr. year. picketter remains unproven. it wouldnt suprise me if he develops into an average starter in this league.

DraftBoy
02-17-2004, 10:36 PM
I tell you guys who I like as a sleeper and thats Timmy Chang out of Hawaii, I didnt realize he had thrown for so many yards this season, and Hawaii is definelty not Texas Tech. Granted he needs to work on his accuracy but hes got a nice arm and in the 6th or 7th round Id take him over Smoker.

Tatonka
02-17-2004, 11:37 PM
winfield.. did you ever get a chance to watch chang? i got to see 3 hawaii games.. and in 2 of the three i saw, he was benched for playing so poorly.. and the back up, who was a sophomore i believe, came in and played very well, and ended up winning the game.

chang has a real bad problem with his accuracy.. i mean REAL bad.. at least from what i saw in my limited exposure.. the announcers said he gets real nervous at times and just plays horrible.. then sometimes he gets hot and is unstoppable..

and june jones is the hawaii coach.. that is almost a run and shoot offense.. their running backs were absolutely abysmal in the games i watched... they were chucking the ball the whole game.. chang and the backup.

i cant see taking him over smoker man.. not at all.. does he have the size? i cant remember.. smoker would definately be a legit day one guy if not for his off the field issues.

just my 2 cents..

BillsFever
02-17-2004, 11:39 PM
Click this link and take a look at these numbers in a seperate window so you can flip back and forth...

http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/stats/playersort/NCAAF/QB

what is the big knock on BJ Symons? I know he is a little short, but he didnt exactly play a cream puff schedule, and threw for almost 6000 yards.. are you kidding me?? 52 tds?? :

He's only a Fantasy Football QB. Stats doesn't mean anything.

The Spaz
02-17-2004, 11:41 PM
winfield.. did you ever get a chance to watch chang? i got to see 3 hawaii games.. and in 2 of the three i saw, he was benched for playing so poorly.. and the back up, who was a sophomore i believe, came in and played very well, and ended up winning the game.

chang has a real bad problem with his accuracy.. i mean REAL bad.. at least from what i saw in my limited exposure.. the announcers said he gets real nervous at times and just plays horrible.. then sometimes he gets hot and is unstoppable..

and june jones is the hawaii coach.. that is almost a run and shoot offense.. their running backs were absolutely abysmal in the games i watched... they were chucking the ball the whole game.. chang and the backup.

i cant see taking him over smoker man.. not at all.. does he have the size? i cant remember.. smoker would definately be a legit day one guy if not for his off the field issues.

just my 2 cents..

Not only that but name a Hawaii player who made it big?!:dizzy:

PS: Not named Lelie?!:snicker:

Tatonka
02-17-2004, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by BillsFever
He's only a Fantasy Football QB. Stats doesn't mean anything.

:lol:

Originally posted by The Spaz
Not only that but name a Hawaii player who made it big?!:dizzy:

PS: Not named Lelie?!:snicker:

i dont care about the school all that much.. i mean.. there is always a first.. he is learning under a former nfl head coach.. that runs a somewhat pro offense.. be it a run and shoot style that june jones was known for.. but i just was so completely unimpressed by what i saw in three games.. although he obviously did play very well at times.. as his numbers indicate.. he couldnt have racked up those numbers without playing well.. maybe i just happen to see the worst games of his career. lol.

ryven
02-18-2004, 08:00 AM
I think pickett will make a damn good QB in the nfl here look at the seasons before last of his:

http://gohuskies.ocsn.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/pickett_cody00.html

http://www.4malamute.com/sobriquet.html

carybillsfan
02-18-2004, 08:19 AM
I still take Rivers over any of these, I really don't see the "intangibles" advantage that everyone talks about the Ben and Eli have. Eli is dumb as bricks, Ben will be the 1st qb taken. But back in the elway, kelly, marino draft there was a lot of questions surrounding marino's release and throwing style, a style which as of recently has been closely compared to rivers. After watching Phillip in person I've never seen a qb with faster release including Dan at his prime. If the Bills want him they're gonna have to fork over a first round pick, he won't be there in the second. Is that too much to pay for him, I don't think so, but lets hope that TD can fill some holes in the FA market. PLEASE TD DON"T PICK ANOTHER DE IN THE FIRST ROUND!!!!!!!!!

Earthquake Enyart
02-18-2004, 08:35 AM
Take Josh Harris or Navarre in the 4th or 5th.

Boy you don't hear much about Dinwiddie. He had some monster numbers.

Dozerdog
02-18-2004, 08:38 AM
I tell you guys who I like as a sleeper and thats Timmy Chang out of Hawaii, I didnt realize he had thrown for so many yards this season, and Hawaii is definelty not Texas Tech. Granted he needs to work on his accuracy but hes got a nice arm and in the 6th or 7th round Id take him over Smoker.

Chang sucks

Tatonka
02-18-2004, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
Take Josh Harris or Navarre in the 4th or 5th.

Boy you don't hear much about Dinwiddie. He had some monster numbers.

i asked ingtar about Dinwiddie, and he said that he was too small w/ a weak arm.

ryjam282
02-18-2004, 09:30 AM
Rivers....Hands down. If we pass on him at #13 it could be one of the biggest mistakes since hiring Man boobs.

No matter what we or the stats say, the guy wins and makes plays. He proved he could do it against the top college players, and that is plenty enough for me, I just hope it is enough for TD.

ryven
02-18-2004, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by ryjam282
Rivers....Hands down. If we pass on him at #13 it could be one of the biggest mistakes since hiring Man boobs.

No matter what we or the stats say, the guy wins and makes plays. He proved he could do it against the top college players, and that is plenty enough for me, I just hope it is enough for TD.

I agree with you Rivers needs to be in a bills uni next year.

Ickybaluky
02-18-2004, 02:05 PM
Kliff Klingsbury put up very big numbers from there as well.

FYI... the Pats really like Kingsbury. They IR'ed him last year and he basically was a redshirt.

Kingsbury fell because of lack of armstrength and the fact he played in a wide-open, shotgun offense. IMO, the offensive system stuff is overrated. Kingsbury has decent height (6'4"), and a year of conditioning has helped him thicken up a little, like Brady did his first season. The Pats love the intangibles, game management skills and production his showed in college.

Kingbury might emerge as the Pats top backup, as Rohan Davey has been a little slow to develop. He has shown real intelligence and they are hoping for a jump in his 2nd-year like Brady showed. Davey needs to play, so the Pats are sending him to NFL Europe. He has talent, but has a slow delivery.

Symons isn't as tall as Kingsbury, but his production and accuracy are hard to ignore. IMO, he can be a developmental guy, as his intangibles and game-maangement skills are far better than most college players. He probably would be rated a lot higher, but he had ACL surgery last month. Even if he goes undrafted, I could see him in the NFL in a couple years.

THATHURMANATOR
02-18-2004, 02:35 PM
I was thinking Symons looked go also. I watched him in one game and he had like 590 yards then the next he had 600! I did recently here a scout on the radio talking about him and said that he was a total product of that system though. Still impressive if you ask me.

Ickybaluky
02-19-2004, 06:29 AM
I think it is hard to evaluate QBs going from college to the Pros, but I think one indicator is accuracy. Symons is very accurate, which is why I think he shouldn't be dismissed summarily. However, his lack of height, the fact he is viewed as playing in a gimmick offense, and recent surgery are going to hurt him in the eye's of Pro scouts, so I think he may end up going undrafted.

I can't see why some NFL team wouldn't stash him on the PS for a year and maybe send him to Europe for some seasoning in more of a Pro-style offense. See how he develops, because he has the accuracy and intangibles you can't teach.

I think Symons has talent that compares favorably with recently-drafted Florida QB Rex Grossman, another short QB. He showed toughness and unselfishness this year by playing his last 7 games with a torn knee ligament, which is what led to his surgery last month. Symons has a stronger arm than many recent QBs Leach's offense has featured (Kingsbury, Josh Heupel, Tim Couch), and is a good athlete who can run. That helps offset his lack of height some.

I realize he isn't a guy who is going to make an immediate impact, but it would not surprise me if he was in the NFL in a few years.