PDA

View Full Version : USA Hockey may need another Miracle to even qualify for 2006 Olympics

Ð
02-18-2004, 04:42 AM
No. 7 USA looking for boost

By Mike Brehm, USA TODAY

USA Hockey's decision to link World Cup selection to the world championships also has a lot to do with the 2006 Olympics.The seventh-ranked USA wants to increase its world standing before the 2006 Games, but its participation is far from guaranteed.

Only the top eight countries after this spring's world championships in the Czech Republic get an automatic berth. Host Italy also is in. The other three nations must qualify at a February 2005 tournament when Americans in European pro leagues would be used.

Story (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics/winter/2004-02-16-usa-2006_x.htm)

Dozerdog
02-18-2004, 06:19 AM
I wonder if there will be a lockout still going on in 2005- if thet's the case I think a lot of pros will be used

Ð
02-18-2004, 06:27 AM
That raises an interesting question...

If there is a strike/lockout early in the season (that gets resolved by February, let's say.)

Will the NHL teams be as willing to let any players go to play for their national teams as they have in the past in a strike-shortened season ? For the World Championships (usually played in March), the national teams rely heavily on players from teams that didn't make the playoffs, so a delayed NHL playoff schedule will mean a really awful World Championship pool of players.

Dozerdog
02-18-2004, 08:32 AM
The NHL won't be able to afford to lose any games. They will prolly eliminate the all star break and cram in a game every other night.

The season might get extended a few weeks too- so the pool of players will be affected.

Ð
02-18-2004, 08:42 AM
Yikes!

I hope the US team can keep it's top 8 status at this year's World Championships, because I don't like your chances if you have to qualify for the Olympics at the 2005 World Championship without at least a few quality players in a strike-shortened year.

realmendontwearteal
02-18-2004, 12:00 PM
when is the world champioship tourney

Ð
02-19-2004, 08:39 AM
http://www.hockey-stats.com/international/ihwc_2004.shtml

Yikes, you guys have Slovakia, Finland and Ukraine in your round-robin pool :eek: