PDA

View Full Version : Franchise Tag

casdhf
02-18-2004, 06:49 AM
How long is ours used up for....how about tha transitional too, do we have that? I can't remember if Priced used ours up for the entire term of his ATL deal, or how'd that work?

:awm:

ryjam282
02-18-2004, 07:51 AM
I don't believe we have a transition tag remaining but can use the franchise tag if needed. I don't believe we actually used it last year on Price, just may have said we would before the trade happened.

Mr. Miyagi
02-18-2004, 08:21 AM
We did use the Transition Tag on Price last year, not the Franchise.

Ebenezer
02-18-2004, 08:22 AM
I believe we still have both tags...and we will not use either on Winfield.

helmetguy
02-18-2004, 08:38 AM
We got the tag back from the Price deal as soon as he was traded. I'm with Eb. I think we have both tags available if needed.

Dozerdog
02-18-2004, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi
We did use the Transition Tag on Price last year, not the Franchise.

I think you are mistaken. If we used the Transition tag on him, all Atlanta had to do was offer the guy what they gave him, and the Bills would either match or lose him without compensation.

The Franchise tag was a bit more expensive if we were going to keep Price, but Atlanta had to negotiate the trade. Otherwise, they would have to outbid us AND surrender 2 #1s.

The Bengals only used a Transition tag on Spikes. Transition tags are cheaper, but if the Bengals don't match, there is no compensation. For an additioonal $750 K, the Bengals could have worked a trade.

Mr. Miyagi
02-18-2004, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
I think you are mistaken. If we used the Transition tag on him, all Atlanta had to do was offer the guy what they gave him, and the Bills would either match or lose him without compensation.

You are right. We did franchise tag Price.

Romes
02-18-2004, 12:26 PM
http://www.democratandchronicle.com/sports/bills/0218JK3ALSU_sports.shtml

The Bills have no transition tags available and don’t have plans to put the franchise label on Winfield, Donahoe said.

Jeff1220
02-18-2004, 05:32 PM
I seem to remember the transition tag being used in Buffalo early on. Did they T-tag someone during the Marv era, or maybe the Wade-era, who is still playing?

Dozerdog
02-18-2004, 05:34 PM
I want to think they used one on Jeff Wright way back- not sure.

Jeff1220
02-18-2004, 05:50 PM
I want to think they used one on Jeff Wright way back- not sure.
If it was Jeff Wright, wouldn't they have gotten the tag back? I thought the tags came back after the player's contract was up, or retired, or whatever.

Dozerdog
02-18-2004, 06:35 PM
I'm not sure on that one....

TKO
02-19-2004, 03:30 AM
The Bengals only used a Transition tag on Spikes.

If the Bills don't have a transition tag available, this could have something to do with it, as we did outbid Cinci for Spikes' services. :idunno:

But like it matters, as we don't need to use either tag this year anyway.

helmetguy
02-19-2004, 08:40 AM
I think once the transition tags were used, they were gone for good. They were called "transition' because they were available during the transition into the CBA that brought about free agency.

Jeff1220
02-19-2004, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by helmetguy
I think once the transition tags were used, they were gone for good. They were called "transition' because they were available during the transition into the CBA that brought about free agency.

Ahhh, now I get it. Thanks. That makes sense.