PDA

View Full Version : What about this guy in the draft

ryjam282
02-18-2004, 09:20 AM
We all know (according to my articles) that I believe there is no other alternative for us in the 1st round then Phillip Rivers.

But, in the 2nd, if Winfield is actually gone, then what about CB Derrick Strait? I have seen him listed as middle 2nd round and the kid is pretty good and could move to our #2 slot and let Clements move to #1. Clements is definitely more of a ball hawk then Winfield and would be more suited for the #1 slot. Strait could play Nickel Corner if needed as a rookie and McGee could get a shot but I believe Strait would be the ideal pick for us if Winfield is indeed gone.

Lots of people have been saying to get a WR but I believe Reed is pretty good and will be just fine this year with a system that is more NORMAL then the Kill-drive system and WR is the least of our worries. Sam Aiken looked good at times as well. So, CB would be a spot we need to fill and Strait would be a good one. DE is not a concern as we could easily fill that in FA if needed but I want to see what Kelsay can really do.

eyedog
02-18-2004, 10:36 AM
I doubt Strait will be there in the 2nd rd.

TigerJ
02-18-2004, 06:29 PM
Me too. I think Derrick Strait is a late first rounder. He's considered the "safe" CB in the draft. He's not as athletic as some of the guys but a solid technician and doesn't make mistakes. He has average speed for a CB.

mypoorfriendme
02-18-2004, 07:29 PM
then ratliff from florida

Dozerdog
02-18-2004, 07:34 PM
What about Chris Gamble in the 1st ?

WR is deep, you can get a bunch in the 2nd round. OL depth can be addressed in the 3rd or 4th as well as FAcy

mypoorfriendme
02-18-2004, 07:40 PM
plus gamble could play at WR

ShadowHawk7
02-18-2004, 08:16 PM
Could he reely?? Did he in college? That wud be sweet! Was it true the Dieon Sanders was also the 4th or 5th reciever for the cowboys?

The Spaz
02-18-2004, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by ShadowHawk7
Could he reely?? Did he in college? That wud be sweet! Was it true the Dieon Sanders was also the 4th or 5th reciever for the cowboys?

We need a receiver who could be available on every play nto a spot duty type. Yes Deion player WR a few times but he really didn't make an impact at. I don't want a gadget player.

mypoorfriendme
02-18-2004, 09:00 PM
i dont think you can really consider gamble a "gadget player" hes just an amazing athlete and ohio state used him to their best advantage and so he was starting on not only offense and defense, but special teams as well. i dont think we should draft gamble at 13, but im jsut saying if we did, we could hypothetically use him in 4 and 5 wide sets

Tatonka
02-18-2004, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by TigerJ
Me too. I think Derrick Strait is a late first rounder. He's considered the "safe" CB in the draft. He's not as athletic as some of the guys but a solid technician and doesn't make mistakes. He has average speed for a CB.

actually tiger, i was under the impression that straight was a playmaker who was know for tight man coverage, but takes chances to make big plays, so he is suseptable to getting toasted.. dont get me wrong.. i like the guy.. alot actually.. but i dont think he would be considered the safe pick at corner.

Originally posted by mypoorfriendme
then ratliff from florida

this is one guy i really really am not sold on... his coverage ability is questionable...

The Spaz
02-18-2004, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by mypoorfriendme
i dont think you can really consider gamble a "gadget player" hes just an amazing athlete and ohio state used him to their best advantage and so he was starting on not only offense and defense, but special teams as well. i dont think we should draft gamble at 13, but im jsut saying if we did, we could hypothetically use him in 4 and 5 wide sets

Don't get me wrong I think he i a good player but I would just want him to play CB and maybe as a PR and KR.

The Spaz
02-18-2004, 09:06 PM
this is one guy i really really am not sold on... his coverage ability is questionable...

He got burned a lot on the senior bowl I beleive.

HenryRules
02-18-2004, 09:50 PM
If Winfield leaves and we don't sign a free agent to replace him, I don't think the draft is going to help us much and I'd rather we go with what we have on hand.

I don't think any of the CB's in the draft would be an immediate improvement over McGee or Thomas, so I'd rather we try and see if they'll work out this year. If they both bomb, then sign a free agent next year.

If we draft a CB instead of playing McGee or Thomas, I think we'll be in the same boat next offseason. McGee or Thomas would end up starting initially, and if one played well, would still be the starter (same as if we didn't draft a CB). If they fail in their job, then either McGee, Thomas, or unnamed rookie would fill in for the last little bit. If the replacement did ok, we'd be in the exact same situation next offseason (2 unknowns at CB that might be good).

I say FA or nothing (well, maybe a second day pick like McGee), but not a day one pick in this draft.