• ryjam282
    Offical Billszone Starting QB
    • Mar 2003

Texans have struck a deal

Terms on Henson draw NFL interest
    Texans' needs at DB could figure in mix
    By CARLTON THOMPSON
    Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle

The Drew Henson saga is a puzzle that will include many pieces before the final picture comes into focus. The first one was put into place Tuesday when Texans general manager Charley Casserly said one team has agreed to the Texans' parameters for a possible trade.

But this is just the beginning of the process. Several teams have expressed interest in the 24-year-old quarterback, whom the Texans took in the sixth round of last year's draft with the intent of trading him. Casserly and Tom Condon, Henson's agent, will meet with several teams this week at the scouting combine in Indianapolis, and some of those teams are expected to accept the Texans' trade parameters as well.

Casserly declined to identify the team that has accepted the terms or exactly what the Texans are seeking for Henson, who spent the past two years playing baseball in the New York Yankees organization.

Henson will be allowed to visit with the team that has met the Texans' initial asking price, but it's uncertain when that will take place. Teams seeking access to Henson must agree to the trade parameters.

It's unlikely discussions will heat up until after the combine because most teams want to compare Henson's workout with those of the top quarterbacks on display in Indianapolis this week. If the Texans can work out a deal with a team for which Henson is willing to play, a trade will be completed. If not, Henson will go back into the draft, although that scenario is unlikely.

Buffalo, Green Bay, Kansas City and Miami are believed to be the teams most interested in trading for Henson.

The Texans have been linked to the speculation surrounding four-time Pro Bowl cornerback Champ Bailey, whom the Washington Redskins have given permission to seek a trade. Bailey, a pending free agent, is not close on terms of a long-term contract with the Redskins, who would have to guarantee him $6.8 million for one season to keep him using a franchise designation.

It's possible the Redskins' stance on Bailey could be a negotiating ploy, considering teams generally aren't eager to lose 25-year-old shutdown corners. The expected compensation -- draft picks to the Redskins and big-time money to the player -- would seem to make Bailey a long shot for the Texans.

Adding a starting-caliber free safety seems the most likely route for the Texans, but it's not out of the question that cornerback Marcus Coleman could be moved to free safety if the Texans can acquire a top-notch cornerback. Coleman played safety at Texas Tech.

Could it be the Bills?

I have heard on another forum that the Bills offered Winfield and a 3rd rounder and swapping 1st round picks for Henson.

I know Winfield lives in Houston so this would make sense for him, and I like moving up a few more picks but not for Henson...He sucks and will suck....Please NOOOO!!!!

Has anyone heard any news on this?

Ryan Withey
    Owner/President/GM/Director of Player Personnel

Kansas City Super Deuces

• The Spaz
    • Mar 2003

Well if the Texans are in fact in need of a CB then I sure would say it's a good chance that it involves us.

Comment

• ryjam282
      • Mar 2003

I hope not, I don't want Henson....Just like Tatonka says...HE SUCKS!!!!

Ryan Withey

Kansas City Super Deuces

Comment

• The Spaz
        • Mar 2003

Originally posted by ryjam282
        I hope not, I don't want Henson....Just like Tatonka says...HE SUCKS!!!!
        We don't know that he hasn't played a down yet. I have no opinion until I see for myself that eh sucks on our team if in fact he ends up playing for us.

Comment

• TedMock
          • Jul 2002

Good point, Spaz. I feel the same way. I'll wait to see him actually play before making a decision as to whether or not he's any good.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
            • Jul 2003

The Bills can't offer Winfield to anyone because he isn't under contract. He is a free agent, so unless he is franchised the Bills don't have any rights to him.

I don't know what is offered, but Charlie Casserly has stated clearly that he is looking for a 2005 #1 pick for Henson. Casserly prefers a pick next year to this year.

Comment

• ryjam282
              • Mar 2003

But would you be willing to pass on a guy like Rivers who we have seen play for the past 4 years and know what he can do or take a chance on a guy who played 8 college games and did terrible in 2 of them? I would take Rivers. Henson has potential but so did Rob Johnson and look where that left us

I just hope if we pull the trigger on the deal that it doesn't turn out like that for us again.

Ryan Withey

Kansas City Super Deuces

Comment

• The Spaz
                • Mar 2003

Originally posted by NE39
                The Bills can't offer Winfield to anyone because he isn't under contract. He is a free agent, so unless he is franchised the Bills don't have any rights to him.

I don't know what is offered, but Charlie Casserly has stated clearly that he is looking for a 2005 #1 pick for Henson. Casserly prefers a pick next year to this year.
                Could be a sign and trade.

Comment

• The Spaz
                  • Mar 2003

Originally posted by NE39

We still could franchise Winfield even though we supposedly won't and then trade him.

Comment

• Dozerdog
                    In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
                    • Jul 2002

It's an article from a day or two ago.

The Texans have a team interested in Henson, but it remains to be seen if Henson will approve.

He can always shoot it down and re-enter the draft

Comment

• Ebenezer
                      Give me a minute...
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by The Spaz
                      We still could franchise Winfield even though we supposedly won't and then trade him.
                      not going to happen...Bills and Winfield have agreed to disagree and will part ways.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• The Spaz
                        • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Ebenezer

not going to happen...Bills and Winfield have agreed to disagree and will part ways.
                        So they've said. Winfield doesn't have to like the franchise tag put on him but he doesn't have a choice.

Comment

• Dozerdog
                          In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
                          • Jul 2002

The Bills already announced that they won't franchise him.

It would cost hte bills $6.8 million- same as the Redskins and Champ Bailey. i don't think he's worth $6.8 million

Comment

• ryjam282
                            • Mar 2003

But if he wants to go to Houston, they could tag him and trade him. Just like we did with PeePee last year. He was not under contract with us last year. Atlanta offered and he accepted so we did the trade. We could do it again.

Ryan Withey

Kansas City Super Deuces

Comment

• The Spaz
                              • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Dozerdog
                              The Bills already announced that they won't franchise him.

It would cost hte bills $6.8 million- same as the Redskins and Champ Bailey. i don't think he's worth $6.8 million
                              I hear you but I thought they could do it then trade him to the Texans and somehow acquire Hensonin the process. I don't know a lot about the cap and what not.

Comment

Working...
                              X