Any word on Bledsoe re-working his contract......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Novacane
    • Jul 2002

Any word on Bledsoe re-working his contract......

and taking that pay cut he deserves Most thought it would be a forgone conclusion he would be asked to reduce his salary. If TD does not ask him to take a cut he is not as smart as a lot of people think he is.

Don't get much Bills news here in Florida and I was stuck with a broken computer for 10 days
  • Bert102176
    • Aug 2002

FTG good to hear you're pc is fixed wb
    lets go BUFFALO lets go BUFFALO

Comment

• The Spaz
      • Mar 2003

As much as many here disagree on Drew as a player I don't think many can dispute Bledsoe as team player and an all around good guy there should be no question that he'll restructure.

Comment

• Fairway To Green
        • Jul 2002

IF he is asked SPaz. Maybe TD won't even approach him about it

Comment

• The Spaz
          • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Fairway To Green
          IF he is asked SPaz. Maybe TD won't even approach him about it
          This is true but if TD was truly satisfied with Bledsoe he would be so openly persuing another QB IMO.

Comment

• BillsFever
            Mr. Predictament
            • Feb 2003

I don't wanna hear the words restructure. How is he a nice guy if he restructures? So he can get salary turned into guranteed money, and then we can have a big cap hit when we finally release him. Who wouldn't restructure?

I wanna hear paycut. All restructuring will do is push his money later on down the road.

It's paycut or nothing. Even he has to know he isn't worth that money, and he wouldn't sniff more then a couple million a year on the open market.

Comment

• Dozerdog
              In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
              • Jul 2002

There is no hurry- right now all the Bills brass is pre-occupied at the combine- and before that they were in Houston watching Henson

Comment

• Michael82
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by The Spaz
                As much as many here disagree on Drew as a player I don't think many can dispute Bledsoe as team player and an all around good guy there should be no question that he'll restructure.

There's no way I want to see him restructure! I want him to re-negotiate his contract! NOT RESTRUCTURE!

Comment

• Dozerdog

Administrator Emeritus
                  • Jul 2002

What's the difference??

Comment

• LtBillsFan66
                    • Jul 2002

Maybe they are waiting to see how all the other contracts, signings, cuts, etc. will shake out before anything is done to reneg.

Comment

• Michael82
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Dozerdog
                      What's the difference??
                      Re-Negotiate is a pay cut and changing his contract. It's better for the long term cap hit. Restructure is what Butler loved to go and is how we got into Salary cap HELL.

Comment

• Dozerdog

Administrator Emeritus
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mike32282
                        Re-Negotiate is a pay cut and changing his contract. It's better for the long term cap hit. Restructure is what Butler loved to go and is how we got into Salary cap HELL.
                        I'm fairly certain you can't just tear up a contract and do it over. The player would need to be exposed to waivers before that.

However, you can push money into the future. Back load it or stretch it out. What Butler did was he gave out really fat bonuses and really small salaries. Unfortunatly, that meant a lot of tied up dead cap space down the road.

Bledsoe isn't going to get that. He will make a healthy sum- market rate ($4-5 Million salary maybe) - but not the massive bonus in exchange for a low salary long term deal.

Comment

• HenryRules
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Dozerdog

Bledsoe isn't going to get that. He will make a healthy sum- market rate ($4-5 Million salary maybe) - but not the massive bonus in exchange for a low salary long term deal.
                          I only see Bledsoe taking $4-5 mil per season if we sign him to a 3 or 4 year deal. I'd think something along the lines of a $4 mil signing bonus with a total of $20 mil over 4 years. I'd really be suprised if we commit to a deal like this though.

Instead, I think we'll go for a 2-year contract and Bledsoe's going to expect (and would probably get) 6 mil per year.

QB's get paid a hell of a lot of money.

(As pointed out in another thread, the franchise tag price for QB's is around $18 mil. To put that in perspective - think of the quality of CB you'd get for about $2.3 mil per season - that's 1/3rd of the franchise rate for CB's. And $6 mil per year is 1/3 the franchise rate for QB's. I'm not saying it's exactly equivalent, but $6 mil per year for a short-term deal for someone like Bledsoe would not suprise me).

Comment

• HenryRules
                            • Jul 2002

Just took a look at ESPN ... Brunell is close to signing a 7 year deal with the 'Skins that includes an $8 mil signing bonus - although it sounds like the deal will be structured similar to the ones that Jerry Rice and Tim Brown have in Oakland (where the last 2 or 3 years are so outrageous in salary, they really have no chance of ever being fulfilled by the team).

Sources indicated Tuesday night that Washington owner Dan Synder is optimistic that he can complete a much-discussed trade for Jacksonville Jaguars quarterback Mark Brunell.

Regardless of whether or not one thinks that Snyder is overpaying ... I think this contract is going to set the standard that Bledsoe would accept - they're both in a similar situation IMO.

Comment

• TheGhostofJimKelly
                              • May 2003

Can I be the odd man out again and say that Drew will not restructure. Why would he. He has to know that things aren't working out in Buffalo and the fans (for the most part) have turned against him. I say he plays out next year and let the Bills decide whether or not they want to pick up his option. If they don't he will become a free agent and he will take his chances.

Comment

Working...
                              X