View Full Version : This is pathetic with a capital P

PA Season Ticket Holder
10-13-2002, 06:31 PM
The Steelers are in 1st place with a 2-3 record

Steelers- 2-3

Ravens- 2-4

Browns- 2-4

Bengals- 0-6

Best division in football. What a friggin joke.

Welcome to the new NFL Alignment. Somebody will get into the playoffs with 7 or 8 wins, then you have the Bills, Broncos, Raiders, Chargers, Chiefs, Dolphins, and Patriots, Colts, and Jaguars fighting it out for 5 spots.

Imagine if we played the Ravens, Browns, and Bengals twice a year? That is a guaranteed 4 or 5 wins right of the bat. The Bengals are just a joke.....again!!

The AFC South isn't that great either

NoCtUrNaL
10-13-2002, 06:41 PM
The top 6 teams in each conference should make the playoffs, even if that means 4 come from one division.

SoCalBillsFan
10-13-2002, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by NoCtUrNaL
The top 6 teams in each conference should make the playoffs, even if that means 4 come from one division.

but than what is the point of having divisions?

I like that the division matters in the NFL, and that division games are so important. It leads to more exciting games and better rivalries.

I agree that some teams will be upset and there might be a better way to do it that the current system, but I'm not for getting rid of divisions. I think the division concept adds a lot to the game, and fighting it out for that division title and playoff spot is a good thing.

Novacane
10-13-2002, 06:55 PM
That really does suck! The steelers are gonna win the division even though they blow!

Shiny Chicken
10-13-2002, 07:01 PM
The answer is adding at least one more wild card to the picture, you can't get rtid of the division format.

NoCtUrNaL
10-13-2002, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by SoCalBillsFan

I like that the division matters in the NFL, and that division games are so important. It leads to more exciting games and better rivalries.

I agree that some teams will be upset and there might be a better way to do it that the current system, but I'm not for getting rid of divisions. I think the division concept adds a lot to the game, and fighting it out for that division title and playoff spot is a good thing.

Great...wait till the Bills get knocked out of the playoffs one year even though they have a better record then two division winners.

LtBillsFan66
10-15-2002, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by SoCalBillsFan

To keep rivalries and to have a few opponents you meet more than once. You can keep that format and just have the top 6 from the conference make the playoffs.

SoCalBillsFan
10-15-2002, 01:12 PM
I guess I just disagree. The division winner should get a playoff spot. Maybe adding another wild card would help.

Let this thing play out. I still doubt that a 7-9 team will make the playoffs. If one does, then yes it would be a problem.

casdhf
10-15-2002, 01:14 PM
That's the division they wanted to put the Bills in anyways, isn't it? But Ralph would have none of it. Ah well, we still play the all the rivals

WG
10-15-2002, 01:15 PM
This is great news for Phin fans!!!

If Pittsburgh manages to win the division at 7-9, perhaps the Phins can beat them at home in first round game!

What do y'all think?

Of course the Phins would likely have a bye in that case which means the Steelers would have to win a game first and then the Phins would have to be the 2nd seed in order to be given a chance to win a first-round PO game!

Hmmm, too many odds workin' against 'em!

"Sorry Charlie!"

Phins054
10-15-2002, 01:49 PM
Didn't a lot of us think that Pitt would run away with the division this year?!?

I think the real shock is that PItt is actully going to have to fight to win the division...Think about this...Cleveland is one Rudd helmet toss away from a 3-4 record and sole possession of first...:scratch:

Now THATS scary...;)

TigerJ
10-15-2002, 09:52 PM
When they realigned, they sure didn't think about power rankings, but then I really don't think they should have. Realignment is a long term commitment and power shifts in the NFL can be dramatic from one year to the next, except of course the Bungles always suck. I don't object to the present playoff format. Buffalo will get their chance, if not this year then soon, and we'll be good enough when we go to the playoffs that we'll have a realistic chance to go all the way to the big game.

DIHARD2
10-15-2002, 10:17 PM
Why don't they go with using a point system. Two points for each division win, and one point for out of division. This way you still have rivalry in a division but it would be harder for worst teams to get into the playoffs. Also by them using the points some division winner may not get into playoff.

The idea is to keep the rivalry going in each division by being awarded more points for winning in your division, but it won't guarantee a playoff spot.

This is just a thought that might work.

GO!!!...BUFFALO!!!...

Buffarama
10-15-2002, 10:21 PM
Lets not be envious of the inferior division ;)

vmark11
10-15-2002, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by PA Season Ticket Holder
The Steelers are in 1st place with a 2-3 record

Steelers- 2-3

Ravens- 2-4

Browns- 2-4

Bengals- 0-6

Best division in football. What a friggin joke.

Welcome to the new NFL Alignment. Somebody will get into the playoffs with 7 or 8 wins, then you have the Bills, Broncos, Raiders, Chargers, Chiefs, Dolphins, and Patriots, Colts, and Jaguars fighting it out for 5 spots.

Imagine if we played the Ravens, Browns, and Bengals twice a year? That is a guaranteed 4 or 5 wins right of the bat. The Bengals are just a joke.....again!!

The AFC South isn't that great either

Yep - and I'm going to scream "I told you so" until I'm blue in the face if people start complaining about this in January. I brought this up at least a half a dozen times during the summer, and everybody just yawned. It's not like it was difficult to see it coming - it's just common sense.

The counterpoint (as SoCal implies) would be that taking the top 6 teams strictly by record would completely negate the importance of winning your division. My response? The day they decided to create EIGHT freakin divisions was the day the NFL ALREADY downgraded the accomplishment of winning your division. Seriously, what is the significance of calling yourself a "champion", when there's 7 other teams who can say the same thing?

Ingtar33
10-15-2002, 11:20 PM
What’s even worst is that it (realignment) makes it even harder to make the playoffs... I was laughing my head off with all the people talking about 10-6 = a wildcard spot. The wild card spots will go to teams with 11-5 or 12-4 records. As a result the teams in difficult divisions (AFC East, AFC West) will be punished by the new format as a weak division will award teams with weak schedules the wildcard births they don't deserve. Think about it... what if the Pats (or even Bills) gets into the playoffs and the Chargers, Chiefs, or Raiders don't... you don't think there will be much complaining about the fact that the Bills/Pats played the Jets twice to inflate their record?

Dozerdog
10-15-2002, 11:26 PM
add 1 wild card to each conference.

Give the Top seed a bye in each conference

Week 1- seeds 2 thru 7 play off in each conference

week 2 the final 4 in each conference

week 3 champ games

Week 4 Superbowl.

Eliminate the SB bye week.

SABURZFAN
10-16-2002, 03:05 AM
it reminds me of the old Norris Division in hockey.

Earthquake Enyart
10-16-2002, 06:31 AM
And everyone thought the South was weak.