• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
    All-Pro Zoner
    • Jan 2004

BILLS not interested in TE!

Tight End Not A Priority: Another interesting note from Mularkey at the combine, he spoke about the tight end position. This is the position he is most familiar with since he was one in his playing days and was a TE coach in Tampa Bay. Mularkey feels this position is in good shape and not a priority this offseason. He feels Mark Campbell played well last year and they plan to utilize him more this season. He knows Dave Moore from his days in Tampa Bay and called him a real smart player.

• Aero II
    RWS Grounds Keeper. Why won't my grass grow?
    • Jul 2002

Right now, I will consider anything that comes out of TD's or MM's mouth as a smoke screen. Any interest in Hensen could be a ploy to see if maybe the Fish will overpay for him. Any report that the bills are not interested in a TE could be seen as a desirre to not show your hand.
    We NEVER thought last year that McGahee was ever an option. The front office fooled everyone.

Comment

• Tatonka
      • Jul 2002

yeah.. they are obviously sending out two different messages.. one says "hey, we love winslow.. we like tough players, and he is one.".. the next is "te is not a priority, campbell is good"

who the hell knows.
      "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• NC-BILLS44
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Tatonka
        yeah.. they are obviously sending out two different messages.. one says "hey, we love winslow.. we like tough players, and he is one.".. the next is "te is not a priority, campbell is good"

who the hell knows.
        Winslow is a tough player and what coach wouldn't love that.
        TE may not be high on their list. Each statement could be the truth. It's when you put them together and read between the lines that makes it confusing.

IMHO they're not looking for a TE, but if Winslow may fall, they may pull the "best player available" thing.

Comment

• helmetguy
          Touch the helmet for luck
          • Sep 2002

It sounds to me like TD is just answering questions about guys who people have projected we might be interested in. That is, there are several draft scenarios that have us drafting a TE, so they're asking him about those guys. Any GM worth his salt is going to look at as many prospects as he is humanly able. The thing I've always liked about TD-even going back to his days in Pittsburgh (whom I hate almost as much as Miami) is that he doesn't tip his hand readily. He also loks ahead at what the anticipated needs of the future will be, while also addressing more immediate needs as well.
          Someone said "What's he gonna turn out like?" Ha!
          And someone else said "Never mind!"

-Deep Purple

"Have you ever taken a crap so big your pants fit better?"--Ron White

Comment

• TigerJ
            • Jul 2002

That's coach speak. I guarrantee between now and the draft, someone in the Bills organization, maybe even Mularkey or Tom Donahoe will speak glowingly of Winslow or Ben Troupe or another TE. Maybe the Bills don't "need" a TE just like they don't "need" a free safety, but if they have a chance to upgrade the position and that's the best pick they can make at that point in the draft, they'll take a TE or a FS.
            I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• ShadowHawk7
              Ground your Jets Vilma, no way you're shooting this guy down.
              • Mar 2003

Why don't we need a FS???

Trade up for Taylor!!!
              "It's not whether you win or lose; it's how you play the game."
              -Vince Lombardi

Comment

• HenryRules
                • Jul 2002

If we don't need a free safety, what team in the NFL has a need at any position?

Comment

• ShadowHawk7
                  Ground your Jets Vilma, no way you're shooting this guy down.
                  • Mar 2003

lol, ya! Nice one Henry! We won't have to worry bout turnovers if we can grab Taylor. Sum say he cud be better than Ed reed
                  "It's not whether you win or lose; it's how you play the game."
                  -Vince Lombardi

Comment

• Iehoshua
                    • Jan 2003

Anyone considering Prioleau or Reese to be solid starting FSs is sadly mistaken. Who knows who the heck we'll get with Donahoe's dart-tossing draft day antics.

Comment

• The Spaz
                      • Mar 2003

If we draft a TE it better be Ben Watson!

Comment

• TigerJ
                        • Jul 2002

My point was not to say "We don't need a FS." It's not an accute need where there is no one even competent to play the position. Izell Reese is competent, but I would grab at the chance to upgrade if a player I liked fell to my draft position, just like I would grab a chance to upgrade at TE. I'm not sure what it would cost to trade up and be sure I'd get Sean Taylor. I don't think I'd be inclined to do it because I think the Bills can get a player at 13 who can be a difference maker.
                        I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• elltrain22
                          • Sep 2003

I don't like this assessment. Our TE depth stinks i think
                          If you walk with Jesus today, you don't have anything to worry about tomorrow...

Comment

• Tatonka
                            • Jul 2002

i wont be unhappy with the te's we have, if we can grab a guy late.. like watson or blizzard... but i dont think te is a need position.
                            "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• HenryRules
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by elltrain22
                              I don't like this assessment. Our TE depth stinks i think
                              I don't think depth at TE is a problem ... I think the problem is that we have 2 backup TE's on our roster.

There's at least 20 teams that have a better starting TE than we do.

Comment

Working...
                              X