PDA

View Full Version : Bills Offseason Priority should be...

clumping platelets
02-20-2004, 02:01 PM
I believe that our off-season priority should be the defensive line. Our OL has talent, now has one of the best to coach them but only needs an infusion of help on the interior OL. We have a talented backfield. It's clear that Bledsoe will return and a "QB of the future" needs to found. Apparantly TE is in decent enough shape not to necessitate much more than late rd consideration. I have concerns about the secondary if/when Winfield leaves but McGee/K. Thomas have played well at times. Special teams are in good hands and the receiving corp is a healthy E-Mo and speed WR away. LB depth needs addressing but the most pressing need is defensive line. Not just a pass-rusher but the entire DL concerns me....why? Well, free agency could tear the DL apart after 2004.

Schobel: UFA after 2004
P. Williams: UFA after 2004
Adams: signed thru 2006 but how many more years can the knees hold up
Denney: signed thru 2005. At this point has not proven to be starting material.

Edwards: RFA this season and likely to receive a minimum tender. If he signs it, he will be UFA after 2004

Bannan: UFA after 2005
Kelsay: signed thru 2006. Rec'd minimum playing time in 2003.

McKenzie: UFA
Sape: signed thru 2006. Undersized DT that should be no more than the 4th DT right now.

I foresee the Bills doing a few things this off-season:

1) Signing Pat Williams OR Aaron Schobel to a contract extension

2) Signing a veteran DL FA

3) Using multiple draft choices on DL including a day one choice.

:feedback:

socalfan
02-20-2004, 02:09 PM
I think the major concern is the interior of the offensive line. Even if McNally can do something with Tucker, Brown and Teague; I think jointly they are still too small to handle the new bred of defensive tackle. The defensive line should only be addressed during the first two rounds if we have addressed the OL and QB situation in free agency

Michael82
02-20-2004, 02:11 PM
Eric Hicks and draft Tommie Harris! :up:

Tatonka
02-20-2004, 02:12 PM
vincent wilfolk is reportedly down to about 315, after being up to 350 at one point during the season.. he was already dominant and fast as hell.. but this will shoot him up more.. he may be a serious consideratoin at 13, although i am not infavor of it.

Lone Stranger
02-20-2004, 02:34 PM
I am in agreement with Clump on the DL because we don't have quality depth and our starting interior linemen are getting up in age. Everybody talks about the OL but it is relatively young and with one decent free agent acquisition should be in pretty good shape. We will also need a quality CB because Winfield in gone for sure.

I wish the Bills were in better cap position to enable them to pick up at least a few decent if not outstanding players. But things look pretty tight to me. I don't see DB restructuring. TD's going to have to do a better job drafting this off-season.

R. Rich
02-20-2004, 02:37 PM
OL first, unless a stud DL like Wilfork, Udeze, or Harris is still around. Other than these 3, I don't feel there's a DL worth taking with the 13t pick. If Wilfork, Udeze, and Harris are gone, I hope we see a trade down to get Vernon Carey or Chris Snee plus an extra draft pick (or more).

Tatonka
02-20-2004, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by R. Rich
OL first, unless a stud DL like Wilfork, Udeze, or Harris is still around. Other than these 3, I don't feel there's a DL worth taking with the 13t pick. If Wilfork, Udeze, and Harris are gone, I hope we see a trade down to get Vernon Carey or Chris Snee plus an extra draft pick (or more).

interesting note on vernon carrey..i read today that he wants to play tackle in the pros.. dont know if that will fluxiate his stock at all... i mean a team that needs a guard.. are they going to be a bit more hesitant to take him knowing he doesnt want to play guard?

ScottLawrence
02-20-2004, 03:18 PM
I agree completly with you Clump!

I thought of this a while ago and what are the chances of us resigning both Pat Williams and Schobel is he has another great year?

Not good, I would consider drafting a DT in round 1 IF* the Top 3 WR's are gone as well as DE Kenechi Udeze..... Williams is getting older and Schobel is in the prime of his young career it would be better to draft a DT this year and try and resign Schobel to a long term deal.

hintexas
02-20-2004, 03:25 PM
I think Vernon Carey said something like - lets face it Tackle is the glory position - (I guess if compared to guard but it is sure not Quarterback, wide receiver or halfback). I think his versitility to play both positions is a good thing.

DraftBoy
02-20-2004, 03:28 PM
As I read it he wants to be tried at tackle before being moved inside.

TigerJ
02-20-2004, 04:19 PM
I agree to some extent, Clump. In round one Udeze would be the ideal pick of he falls that far. Wilfork with his combine showing could climb back up the charts to where he would be a good value at 13, but the more immediate defensive line need is end. There is good depth in the draft at DT. Tommie Harris could probably play inside or outside.