PDA

View Full Version : Henson's Agent talking a 10-15 year contract!

Dozerdog
02-20-2004, 07:48 PM
"There are a lot of hoops to jump through," said Donahoe, whose team has not set up an individual workout for Henson. "Dealing with Charley isn't the problem. I really don't see how you do the contract. Everybody talks as if this trade is going to get done at some point. But I don't see how it's a slam-dunk ... for anyone."

As first reported by The Miami Herald in its Friday editions, Condon is toying with the idea of a landmark 10- to 15-year contract in which many of the base salaries would be fully guaranteed. Known for his creativity and for doing some of the biggest quarterback contracts in NFL history, Condon has floated the concept past some NFL Players Association officials to see if it might fly.

If such a structure is shot down, Condon and his associates at IMG Football could negotiate a contract that voids after just one season, and then forces the team that trades for Henson to pay a large bonus after the 2004 season to trigger subsequent options years. Beyond those two concepts, it could be difficult for Henson to sign a contract that matches his status, and he might then opt to re-enter the draft pool.

The sticky contract problem aside, most teams assume Henson will eventually be dealt rather than roll the dice again in the 2004 draft since he desperately wants to get to a situation where he has some control. If Henson re-enters the draft, he risks being chosen by a bad team, one for which he might not want to play. The trade route ostensibly allows him to choose his team.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=1740198

shelby
02-20-2004, 07:52 PM
:smoke:
Say no to crack.

:cynic:

Dozerdog
02-20-2004, 07:54 PM
Not only the length- but Guaranteed!

The NFL doesn't do guaranteed contracts- they aren't idiots like baseball owners

mypoorfriendme
02-20-2004, 07:57 PM
sounds to me like he doesnt have much faith in his player to me

cland
02-20-2004, 09:04 PM
The guaraunteed money acts like the signing bonus that henson won't be getting as the texans don't have the rookie cap room for it. In terms of cap hits the singing bonus gets spread out over the years of the contract---much like guaraunteed money would, the only difference is that henson won't be getting that up front. Also the money involved is very modest for a QB, the report I read says the the total value is 6.7 million. Guys in the top of the first round will be getting that as a signing bonus alone, before the actual salary even kicks in.

Lone Stranger
02-20-2004, 09:30 PM
It seees to be that Henson is poorly advised. He could have gotten $12million for sitting on the bench with a baseball contract and assumes that he can get the same in the NFL. I believe any of us could have "labored" 3 years for the money involved.

Somebody around here in not dealing with a full deck.

Dozerdog
02-20-2004, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by cland
The guaraunteed money acts like the signing bonus that henson won't be getting as the texans don't have the rookie cap room for it. In terms of cap hits the singing bonus gets spread out over the years of the contract---much like guaraunteed money would, the only difference is that henson won't be getting that up front. Also the money involved is very modest for a QB, the report I read says the the total value is 6.7 million. Guys in the top of the first round will be getting that as a signing bonus alone, before the actual salary even kicks in.

Henson is really making me ill. He doesn't play much in college- then expects the world on his plate.

He has 2 choices- Jump into the draft, and get his #1 or #2 draft money- but risk being picked by the Cardinals or some other bad team.

The other option is to work a deal with the team of his choice, and take the one year salary hit. If I were him, it's more important to work a deal with your best team- the money will follow

juice
02-20-2004, 09:42 PM
$$$ Looking at what he could make as a starting NFL QB he could easily clear that amount in endorsments... Its a risk but maybe he feels he missed his true calling.

Baseball pitchers dont get the QB type #'s from sponsers unless they are top guns. If he's in a major market, Like Miami, and can still play it could be a good move him.

Halbert
02-20-2004, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
As first reported by The Miami Herald in its Friday editions, Condon is toying with the idea of a landmark 10- to 15-year contract in which many of the base salaries would be fully guaranteed.[/i]

This might sound like a crazy question but is this still Earth?

Dozerdog
02-20-2004, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by Halbert
This might sound like a crazy question but is this still Earth?

Condon needs to realize George Steinbrenner isn't an NFL owner

HotRod
02-20-2004, 11:29 PM
This sounds crazy.

Throne Logic
02-21-2004, 01:23 AM
I'm guessing that Condon is using this as a ploy to beef up the negotiations. If your going to haggle over a product your trying to sell, you start high, so you can come to a compromise in the general area you were actually looking for. Besides, every once in a while you find a sucker.

That's how I see it. I can't believe that Condon / Hensen would actually expect anyone to bite at a 15 year guaranteed deal.

SABURZFAN
02-21-2004, 05:00 AM
:lolpoint: Condon

Ickybaluky
02-21-2004, 08:57 AM
The guaraunteed money acts like the signing bonus that henson won't be getting as the texans don't have the rookie cap room for it. In terms of cap hits the singing bonus gets spread out over the years of the contract---much like guaraunteed money would, the only difference is that henson won't be getting that up front.

Actually, it isn't treated like signing bonus. Guarateed salary (which more common than you think, although not usually beyond a year or two), is not treated like signing bonus. The only caveat is if it is paid in advance, in which case it is a salary advance. A salary advance is treated like a signing bonus if it is not going to be paid back, which guaranteed money wouldn't be. A salary advance (another common practice with contracts) that is not guaranteed is not treated as signing bonus because it could be paid back if the player is released before it is earned.

Besides, even if signed this year no signing bonus would be able to be spread beyond 7 years. Plus, the Sanders rule limits the amount of total compensation that can be spread as signing bonus, and re-allocates it to the current year if it is too much.

The guaranteed money would allow for a low 1st year cap number, while giving Henson the security of knowing he is going to receive his money down the road. However, having guaranteed money of that length would be unprecendented. The longest I have ever seen or heard of money being guaranteed is 3 years. For instance, Pats K Adam Vinatieri received a fully guaranteed 3 year contract.

superbills
02-21-2004, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by Dozerdog

Henson is really making me ill. He doesn't play much in college- then expects the world on his plate.

Here here! He's starting to reminde me of Eric Lindros. Lindros gets drafted by Quebec, decides that he doesn't want to play for some "stinky Canadian" team and demads to be traded to Philadelphia. He gets his wish, Philadelphia gets a lemon, and the former Quebec Nordiques, now the Colorado Avalanche, have a bunch of Stanley Cups under their belt. He never lived up to his potential and never will. Henson is starting to look more and more like a guy who just has this silver spoon in his mouth and thinks he can run the show. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if we found out that Condon was actually Drew's father, demanding that his son be placed in this pedstal all the while colluding with some idiot like Bobby Clark (Flyers GM) to drive up the guy's value.

Okay, that's just weird, but this whole thing is turning into a freak show. 10-15 year contracts, first round draft picks, sigining bonuses, and a pick-and-choose attitude. All this for a guy who a year ago was throwing a ball about 120 feet to a stationary fat guy at first base. TD, if your reading this...please pass on this guy. Rivers, Losman, anyone with a sense of what a PRIVELEDGE it would be to just get a shot to play in the NFL is who I want on my team.

Dozerdog
02-21-2004, 10:12 AM
:bf1: