X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tatonka
    • Jul 2002

Marquise Hill - DE, LSU

This kid is growing on me. I am really hoping that he has a decent, but not great combine and he stays under the radar.

Take a look at this... notes from the combine.

Defensive end
    Heaviest: Louisiana State's Marquise Hill, 305 pounds

Lightest: Central Missouri's Roderick Green, 245 pounds

Tallest: Hill, 6-foot-6 5/8

Shortest: Michigan's Larry Stevens and Auburn's Reggie Torbor, 6-foot-2 1/8

he would be a good fit for the Left DE spot, because that is the spot that traditionally you want a good run stuffer.. he obviously has the size.. and he is an above average pass rusher..

sporting news had this to say about him.

War Room analysis
    Versus the run: Has exceptional size. Plays too high at times, allowing blockers to get into under his pads. Must learn to use hands better to shed blocks and gain leverage. Is the biggest defensive end prospect in this class, and could develop into the best run defender. Is quick and powerful. Can hold his ground, shed blocks, locate the ball and pursue. Shows good closing burst, and is a powerful, reliable tackler. Grade: 8.5

Pass rush: Lacks speed to turn the corner consistently. Does show great initial quickness and power. Is athletic, and changes directions smoothly. Can work outside/in. Shows great potential as a bull rusher. Grade: 7.6

Initial quickness: Isn't the fastest or most explosive prospect. Must come out of stance lower and play with consistent leverage, but shows great initial quickness and power. Grade: 7.7

Run/pass recognition: Must get better in this area, but is improving. Is tall enough to see plays develop. Is adept at reading screen passes. Still lacks great savvy or snap anticipation. Is late recognizing the run at times. Occasionally takes himself out of plays by not reading blocks properly and taking the easy route. Grade: 7.3

Pursuit/tackling: Is adequate in pursuit. Never stops hustling, and shows good closing burst. Is not a great athlete, though, and has below-average speed. Is great in tight spaces, though. Closes quickly, and tackles with great power. Is a fine open-field tackler, especially for a big and tall end. Grade: 7.5

Bottom line: Hill was a late entry into the draft because he feared NCAA retribution for alleged contact with an agent. He is one an intriguing prospect, though, because he has great upside. Some coaches might want to move him inside to tackle, but his best fit is at end. He has terrific height, wingspan and strength to stop the run and, despite lack of ideal speed as a pass rusher, is quick and powerful enough to penetrate as a power end.

He is a guy that will probably log late second round or so.. if he slips to the third... he would be an absolute steal.
    "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe
  • The Spaz
    • Mar 2003

I like this guy as well and would have no qualms about picking this guy especially in the 3rd Rnd.

Comment

• JefftheBillsfan
      • Jul 2002

When does the Draft Preview mag come out by the War Room. I think its TSN?
      Its all about the quest.

Comment

• The Spaz
        • Mar 2003

Originally posted by JefftheBillsfan
        When does the Draft Preview mag come out by the War Room. I think its TSN?
        End of March.

Comment

• DraftBoy
          Administrator
          • Jul 2002

Hill would be a great pickup in the 3rd round, but the problem is that we are looking at like 3 or 4 players now that could be there:

1. FS Williams
          2. DE Hill
          3. QB Clausen

Who of those three do you take?? Assume we go WR round 1 and OC in round 2. This is what makes this draft so deep is that your gonna have numerous players you would like to take at each pick.
          COMING SOON...
          Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
          We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• TigerJ
            • Jul 2002

I think he is better than Ryan Denney, but he does seem to have some of the same problems as Denney. He's on the tall side and not the quickest of players. He projects to be better versus the run than versus the pass. Like Denney he may have trouble getting low enough. To his advantage he looks to be bigger and stronger than Denney without sacrificing any additional quickness.
            I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• The Spaz
              • Mar 2003

Clausen is a second day QB.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                Administrator
                • Jul 2002

Not for sure....Some team may take a shot at him in the 3rd. Hes projected 3rd-4th rounder. Quincy Carter was a 2nd day QB too...
                COMING SOON...
                Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• ShadowHawk7
                  Ground your Jets Vilma, no way you're shooting this guy down.
                  • Mar 2003

Originally posted by DraftBoy
                  Hill would be a great pickup in the 3rd round, but the problem is that we are looking at like 3 or 4 players now that could be there:

1. FS Williams
                  2. DE Hill
                  3. QB Clausen

Who of those three do you take?? Assume we go WR round 1 and OC in round 2. This is what makes this draft so deep is that your gonna have numerous players you would like to take at each pick.
                  I'd go w/ Williams, we can sign Hicks in the FA and be solid at DE.
                  "It's not whether you win or lose; it's how you play the game."
                  -Vince Lombardi

Comment

• The Spaz
                    • Mar 2003

Originally posted by DraftBoy
                    Not for sure....Some team may take a shot at him in the 3rd. Hes projected 3rd-4th rounder. Quincy Carter was a 2nd day QB too...

Look who drafted Quincy Carter.

Comment

• CajunBillsBacker
                      100% Cajun
                      • Jul 2002

Hill could have used another year in College, but the guy definitely has the body to dominate with a little fine tuning of his pass rush skills. He is very powerful, and reminds me of Reggie White when bull rushing OT's.

Comment

• socalfan
                        Old Fogey from Cali
                        • Feb 2003

Here's another review too.

-----------

THE HUDDLE REPORT

Marquise Hill DT/DE LSU

Strengths

Marquise is bigger than the average size for his position. He is strong and has very long arms and legs. Marquise is very strong and uses his arms well to keep O-linemen away from his legs. He plays well within the game plan and is disciplined. He has played in some NFL schemes used by the LSU style of defense. Marquise is a player that has great upside to his game for the NFL. He will be a good teammate.

Needs to Improve

Marquise is a tadpole in his development as a football player. He needs to work on his quickness and learn to shed blocks quicker. He needs to learn to use his size to his advantage. Right now when he bull rushes, he drops his head into the OL’s chest. When he does little things like this, he loses the advantage of his size. All of his techniques need to be refined.

Bottom Line

Marquise was playing out of position on the LSU team in my opinion. He is a DT or a RDE but not a LDE. How do you tell Marcus Spears to move? You don’t! How to you tell Chad (The Count) Lavalais to move? You don’t! So what do you do? You put him at any other position so that he gets experience and learns the pressure of being an every down lineman on a championship team. Marquise did that and now for the NFL, because he is coming out early, he needs to find a position. I have no doubts about taking this kid the first day of the draft. I just hope that the team that takes him is patient. He should be a force in about three years in the NFL. He should be a core player and maybe a Pro Bowl player. He is tall and strong with long arms and legs and good lateral movement. What more do you want for a defensive lineman? He has all the tools -- he just has to be taught how to use them. Marquise (The Force) Hill…he will be a force to be reckoned with.

----------------------------

Comment

Working...
                        X