X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Michael82
    • Jul 2002

Why not tag Winfield?

I have been thinking about something as I watch team after team put the franchise tag on their top free agent. I was wondering how come we aren't going to slap the tag on Antoine Winfield? I keep reading a bunch of articles about how Winfield will be one of the most popular free agents around and it makes me wonder why we don't try to get something for him? Last year we managed to slap the tag on Peerless Price to give us more time to come up with a contract or to trade him...why don't we do this with Winfield? We have the money. Even if we only get a 2nd rounder for Winfield...it's better than nothing!

• mypoorfriendme
    • Apr 2003

basically it comes down to us not having a franchise tag to put on him and a team is giong to over pay him like the lions did with bly last season and TD isnt giong to want to negotiate with winfields agent who wants a whole lot more than donahoe wants to give him
    the dude abides

Comment

• Michael82
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by mypoorfriendme
      basically it comes down to us not having a franchise tag to put on him and a team is giong to over pay him like the lions did with bly last season and TD isnt giong to want to negotiate with winfields agent who wants a whole lot more than donahoe wants to give him
      We have a tag and if say someone like Houston or Atlanta want him...we can tag him and then do a sign and trade like we did with Peerless. Can't we?

Comment

• The_Philster
        • Jul 2002

It would cost $6,801,000 against the cap in 2004 and there's no guarantee anyone would take him off our hands in a trade. With the plethora of CBs on the market this year, a team would have to be stupid to trade for a CB for a higher round draft pick. Last year was different. The WR free agent crop was thin and Peerless was one of the top 3 on the market. I'd place Antoine in the top 7-8.
        The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• Fairway To Green
          • Jul 2002

Re: Why not tag Winfield?

Originally posted by Mikey82
          I have been thinking about something as I watch team after team put the franchise tag on their top free agent. I was wondering how come we aren't going to slap the tag on Antoine Winfield? I keep reading a bunch of articles about how Winfield will be one of the most popular free agents around and it makes me wonder why we don't try to get something for him? Last year we managed to slap the tag on Peerless Price to give us more time to come up with a contract or to trade him...why don't we do this with Winfield? We have the money. Even if we only get a 2nd rounder for Winfield...it's better than nothing!

It ain't gonna happen so quit bringing it up. Is'nt that what you say to the Bledsoe bashers.

Comment

• Michael82
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Fairway To Green
            It ain't gonna happen so quit bringing it up. Is'nt that what you say to the Bledsoe bashers.
            Why ain't it going to happen? We did the same thing to Peerless Price and he wasn't so great.

Comment

• The_Philster
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mikey82
              Why ain't it going to happen? We did the same thing to Peerless Price and he wasn't so great.
              Originally posted by The_Philster
              It would cost $6,801,000 against the cap in 2004 and there's no guarantee anyone would take him off our hands in a trade. With the plethora of CBs on the market this year, a team would have to be stupid to trade for a CB for a higher round draft pick. Last year was different. The WR free agent crop was thin and Peerless was one of the top 3 on the market. I'd place Antoine in the top 7-8.
              The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• ShadowHawk7
                Ground your Jets Vilma, no way you're shooting this guy down.
                • Mar 2003

Well, how bout the transistion tag? Isn;t that top 10 money? I'd give Winfield that.
                "It's not whether you win or lose; it's how you play the game."
                -Vince Lombardi

Comment

• The_Philster
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ShadowHawk7
                  Well, how bout the transistion tag? Isn;t that top 10 money? I'd give Winfield that.
                  $5,698,000

Comment

• Pride
                    • Jul 2002

Very simple, he isnt worth top 5 DB money... as a DB HE SUCKS!!!!

Comment

• Michael82
                      • Jul 2002

Phil...if you can't get a trade for him...you can lift the cap and the salary cap space comes back.

Comment

• The_Philster
                        • Jul 2002

You have to clear that space first and leave it open for him until he's either traded or re-signed to a longer term deal, though

Comment

• Billsouth
                          • Jul 2002

i read somewhere that we do not have a transition tag.
                          "once a raider always a raider"

Comment

• Jeff1220
                            H to the 12:20
                            • Jul 2002

Please stop this silly talk. Winfield will not and should not be tagged. He is simply not worth it, especially in this offseason of the FA CB.

BTW, there is no more transition tag. The Bills used it on someone early in FA, maybe John Fina.

Comment

• Jeff1220
                              H to the 12:20
                              • Jul 2002

This is not quite as crazy, but this just reminded me of the "Why don't we tag Bryson?" thread

Comment

Working...
                              X