X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • juice
    • Aug 2003

Henson Contract Question

What's with whoever tries to get him and the contract? Do the Texans have to get him signed first and what are the chances of him not being signed and going back into the draft?

If we make the deal is it up to us to come up with the $ or are there other possible scenerios where his agent wont come off his 10-15 year demand and guaranteed contract talk?

"Hey, I was always aggressive. I always had lots of energy, thats why my teammates on the Bills started calling me Juice" PLAYBOY Dec.'76
  • mypoorfriendme
    • Apr 2003

the texans have to sign him before they trade him and the bills would assume that money. its speculated that the texans would just sign a pretty minimum one year contract and then let his new team make the new one. the texans dont have much money to give him anything great
    the dude abides

Comment

• juice
      • Aug 2003

I guess a better question would be if they cant agree with him what would happen... back to the draft and our offer is void?

"Hey, I was always aggressive. I always had lots of energy, thats why my teammates on the Bills started calling me Juice" PLAYBOY Dec.'76

Comment

• Dozerdog
        In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by mypoorfriendme
        the texans have to sign him before they trade him and the bills would assume that money. its speculated that the texans would just sign a pretty minimum one year contract and then let his new team make the new one. the texans dont have much money to give him anything great

True and Not True

True- Texans will sign him to a 1 year $280 K salary- if not he's back in the draft

Not True - The texans haven't the Money to sign him to more. The $280k figure is what he's "slotted" for. Each team is given a "rookie cap" - a cap within the salary cap that is set by the league depending on how many picks a team has, where they are, ect.... A sixth round pick is slotted for$250-280 K and that's all he's getting.

The Texans can try to go beyond that with a longer deal, with bonus and all- but the minute they trade him trhey have to take a hit on the bonus- and it's stupid to give it to him.

The team getting him will have to sign him to a longer deal. The 10-15 year deals discussed is pure fantasy on the part of Henson's agent.

Comment

• socalfan
          Old Fogey from Cali
          • Feb 2003

Yeah, the agent seems to be saying that Henson is worth more than they can negotiate for a 6th round draft pick. That 10-15 year contract is to try to compensate for the fact that he was drafted in the 6th, and that there are a whole slew of rules and regulations in the NFL/Union contract that would prevent Henson from cashing in during the second year....including a clause in the NFL/Union contract that limits pay raises to no more than 25% in one year for a player's contract.

I think they won't be able to figure something out and he will re-enter the draft.

Comment

• TigerJ
            • Jul 2002

I didn't know all the details before reading Dozerdog's and Socalfan's posts above, but I have been reading that the NFL rules are stacked against this deal getting done and satisfying Henson's salary expectations. Bottom line, if immediate money is more important to Henson than having some say in what team he goes to the deal won't be done and he'll go back in the draft. It's said Henson's concern is the possibility of injury before dddhe's able to cash in on a big NFL contract. Maybe the solution is for Buffalo to fund a big injury insurance policy for him.
            I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

Working...
            X