PDA

View Full Version : The AFL's first Super Team

The_Philster
02-23-2004, 05:07 AM
Original article reprinted from FootballResearch.com, By Ed Gruver
Pro football insiders debate whether the AFL champion Chargers could have beaten the Bears in a 1963 Super Bowl.

It's an impossible question, but one that continues to intrigue members of the 1963 AFL champion San Diego Chargers.

If the Super Bowl had started with the 1963 season instead of 1966, could the Chargers have beaten the NFL champion Chicago Bears?

"I've argued that for years and years," says Sid Gillman, who coached the 1963 Chargers. "We had one of the great teams in pro football history, and I think we would have matched up pretty well with the NFL. We had great speed and talent, and I think at that time, the NFL really underestimated the talent we had."...
more (http://www.glorifythepast.com/news.php?newsid=173)

The_Philster
02-23-2004, 05:10 AM
Honestly, I can't say as I really considered the Chargers as a team that could have beaten the best the NFL had to offer back then. But I do think the Bills of 64 could have beaten the Browns

Historian
02-23-2004, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by The_Philster
Honestly, I can't say as I really considered the Chargers as a team that could have beaten the best the NFL had to offer back then. But I do think the Bills of 64 could have beaten the Browns

Nice article, Phil.

I agree. On offense it would have been Cookie vs Brown, which is a tossup. Edge goes to Kemp/Lamonica over Ryan, and experienced Dubenion, over rookie Paul Warfield.

Paul Brown had already been let go by Modell. Edge to Saban.

On defense, It wouldn't have even been close.

Bills win...about 34-24.

Green Bay would have mopped the floor with us in '65...but in 1964, we were the best team in all of football. (Kind of like 1990)

The_Philster
02-23-2004, 03:13 PM
I've actually heard a few people say that we could have won in 65...but we had a lot of injuries that year...just don't see it happening.