• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Earthquake Enyart
    Legendary Zoner
    • Jul 2002

What's Henson's Motivation?

Why would Henson sign now, with anybody? He has to fit into the Texans rookie cap for last year as a 6th rounder. If he sits pat, he'll get drafted in the 1st or 2nd round and make way more money.

I don't get it.
  • The Spaz
    • Mar 2003

Re: What's Henson's Motivation?

Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
    Why would Henson sign now, with anybody? He has to fit into the Texans rookie cap for last year as a 6th rounder. If he sits pat, he'll get drafted in the 1st or 2nd round and make way more money.

I don't get it.
    He has stated he would prefer to be traded so he has some say in where he's going if he enters the draft anyone can take him.

Comment

• Patrick76777
      • Jul 2002

Maybe because he'll get some choice as to where he goes.
      Resign our own guys!

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
        Legendary Zoner
        • Jul 2002

That's a lot of money he's giving up.

And if he wants a say in where he is going, why would he want to come to Buffalo?

Comment

• The Spaz
          • Mar 2003

That's a lot of money he's giving up.

And if he wants a say in where he is going, why would he want to come to Buffalo?

Why would he not want to come to Buffalo Bledose is aging and may be on the decline he could get some time in games quite early.

Comment

• Patrick76777
            • Jul 2002

I'd take Buffalo over Perennial Losers like Detroit, Arizona, Chicago, Cleveland, NO!
            Resign our own guys!

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
              Legendary Zoner
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Patrick76777
              I'd take Buffalo over Perennial Losers like Detroit, Arizona, Chicago, Cleveland, NO!

All those places have young QB's.

I'd take 6th round money to play in NY, not Buffalo.

Comment

• The Spaz
                • Mar 2003

Why?

Comment

• Patrick76777
                  • Jul 2002

Young terrible QB's, Except maybe Det!

In Buffalo, he comes to a team on the verge, with big QB issues!
                  Resign our own guys!

Comment

• Dozerdog
                    In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
                    • Jul 2002

In the end- the money will be the same, if not better if he gets traded rather than gets drafted.

If he goes into the draft and gets picked anywhere from 20th to mid second round- he's not going to get anywhere near the money that a Harrington, Carr, or Palmer got. He's going to get Patrick Ramsey money. Decent, but not a long term deal. He won't have any negotiating power anymore either. The team that drafts him can wait him out. He can't re-enter the draft in 2005 either.

If he gets traded- he can negotiate a longer term deal beyond the 1 year , $280 K .

This will all get pretty interesting.

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Dozerdog
                      In the end- the money will be the same, if not better if he gets traded rather than gets drafted.

If he goes into the draft and gets picked anywhere from 20th to mid second round- he's not going to get anywhere near the money that a Harrington, Carr, or Palmer got. He's going to get Patrick Ramsey money. Decent, but not a long term deal. He won't have any negotiating power anymore either. The team that drafts him can wait him out. He can't re-enter the draft in 2005 either.

If he gets traded- he can negotiate a longer term deal beyond the 1 year , $280 K .

This will all get pretty interesting.

Ramsey money is a heck of a lot more than Texan 6th round money.

Comment

• TigerJ
                        • Jul 2002

The initial contract that Henson signs in a trade deal wouldn't be very lucrative. Tatonka had an idea, but I don't know whether it would work or not. The idea is that Henson would sign with the Texans for a two year deal at a standard amount for a sixth rounder. There is a verbal agreement in place whereby the Texans then trade him to Buffalo, who immediately sign him to a contract extension that would give Henson first round money.

I am of the opinion that Henson can be a good move for Buffalo, but that they can't bet the future of their cap situation on it. A second round 2004 draft pick is not too much to give up for the kind of upside that Henson may have, but I don't want to see Buffalo stuck with the choice of keeping an unproductive Drew Henson and paying him $5+ million per year or cutting him and taking a $15 cap hit in one year.
                        I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• Dozerdog

Administrator Emeritus
                          • Jul 2002

Ramsey money is a heck of a lot more than Texan 6th round money.
                          How much did Ramsey make last season? $500 K? A million?

That's a difference of $250 K to $500k- Not a lot

After year 2 he will be on par, if not squeeze a little more than what Ramsey is making. Might even make the difference up in bonus money - heck- he might do a lot better

If he goes back in the draft, he loses the ability to pick his team. I'm sure he doesn't want to find himself on a dismal team, or on a team where he will be buried as a backup.

Comment

• don137
                            • Jul 2002

My understanding is you can't renegotiate a deal for 12 months after a contract is signed. I am not sure if that applies to extensions or not though...

Comment

• Dozerdog

Administrator Emeritus
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by don137
                              My understanding is you can't renegotiate a deal for 12 months after a contract is signed. I am not sure if that applies to extensions or not though...
                              It's only a 1 year deal the Texans will give him. I think that rule is to prevent a yearly restructuring

Comment

Working...
                              X